Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
Thread started 31 Dec 2013 (Tuesday) 15:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Death Valley on 1/18/2014

taygull
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 31, 2013 15:12 |  #1

Hope all is well.

I'll be in Vegas shooting for a client for 10 days next month. I'd love to spend a long day out in Death Valley exploring and capturing some sunrise and sunset. I'm planning on Saturday the 18th.

Anyone in the area want to tag along? That way if I get lost I can blame it on you?

Chris

www.chrisfritchiestudi​os.com (external link)
McKinney, TX

sponsored links
M_Six
Cream of the Crop
7,463 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 31, 2013 18:05 |  #2

I just replied to your post in the other thread, but I'll repeat here. There's an inn right in Death Valley if you can swing it so you can spend a night away from Vegas. Then you'd be there for the sunrise without having to get up at 3AM in Vegas.

There are dozens of places to shoot a sunrise in DV, but Racetrack Playa with some moving rocks in the foreground would be cool. Or the dunes. Check out The Photographer's Ephemeris (external link). It's a great (and free) app you can use to plan your sunrise and sunset shots.

Mark J.
Gear

-AP-
Goldmember
2,289 posts
Gallery: 190 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2008

Dec 31, 2013 18:10 as a reply to  @ M_Six's post |  #3

How long is the drive from Vegas??

EDIT.. Found this.. http://www.nps.gov …%20from%20Las%2​0Vegas.pdf (external link)

WEBSITE (external link) | FACEBOOK (external link) | Canon 5d3 | SX50 HS | 7D2 |70-200L | 24-70L | 50mm f1.4 | YN-622c | Bunch of lights, a few more lenses and lots of other stuff..

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
7,463 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 31, 2013 18:42 |  #4

^^^That's the one I used. It depends on which part of DV you visit. Obviously the further north you go, the longer it takes to get there. DV is a BIG place.

Mark J.
Gear

taygull
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 02, 2014 14:58 |  #5

So it looks like a 3 hour drive. I chatted with Joe Azure and he suggested Badwater, and I'm thinking Ractrack Playa. Haven't looked to see how far apart those spots are yet.

McKinney, TX

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
7,463 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 02, 2014 15:28 |  #6

Did you note in the other thread that someone said you need an off road vehicle to get to the Racetrack? I didn't know that, but it might be worth looking into before you go all the way out there.

Mark J.
Gear

Tdragone
Goldmember
2,188 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Jan 05, 2014 22:56 |  #7

When I went in 2009; you did not need an off road vehicle to get to the playa. It IS a gravel road; but it was in great condition.

Don't underestimate that road if you're going to get there for sunrise.. it's a gravel road, no lighting, no reflectors... I was doing about 45-50 on must of it during the day, but I probably would not exceed 30 at night. The #1 cause of death in DV are single vehicle rollovers.

-Tom Dragonetti
Spyder Holster + 1Dmk IV, 50D, G11
10-22, 16-35 2.8Lii, , 24-70 2.8Lii, 50mm 1.4,
70-200 2.8Lii IS, 100-400L IS
1.4x TC, 580EX ii, ST-E2

LarryD
848 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 05, 2014 23:00 |  #8

taygull wrote in post #16572283 (external link)
So it looks like a 3 hour drive. I chatted with Joe Azure and he suggested Badwater, and I'm thinking Ractrack Playa. Haven't looked to see how far apart those spots are yet.

It is an all-day drive to get back to the Racetrack from Vegas.. You do not need an off road vehicle, but you shouldn't take yours or anybodies rental sedan and you need high clearance.. Once you get to the Racetrack dirt road (4 to 5 hours from Vegas) you have over 20 miles of an unimproved, rutted, washboard, big-rock road where you can average a jaw-jarring, kidney punching 10mph with short stretches of up to 30.. tops.

If you decide to go to the Racetrack, that is the only thing that you can do in 1 day (you do have to get back out once there) ;)

.... Got some cameras; got some glass ..... I just need one more of each.....:rolleyes:

Some Snap-Shots (external link)
http://500px.com/Larry​D (external link)

Tdragone
Goldmember
2,188 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Jan 05, 2014 23:14 |  #9

(And shoot Ubehebe crater on your way in/out)

-Tom Dragonetti
1.4x TC, 580EX ii, ST-E2

taygull
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 06, 2014 09:50 |  #10

Thanks everyone! Now I need a local with a 4WD and lots of lights that might want to tag along! LOL

McKinney, TX

Tdragone
Goldmember
2,188 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Jan 06, 2014 11:11 |  #11

Since you're thinking of going to the Playa... Make sure you call ahead to the ranger station to determine if it's dry/walkable. If the clay is in the least bit damp; it's off limits to foot traffic. As you walk along the western edge where the majority of the rocks are, you first encounter 10-20 dumb@$$es who have tried to walk on it.. their footprints get progressively larger as more mud is caked on their shoes before they turn around and go back to their cars. It's SO SAD to see people have disobeyed the signage out there and have damaged the fragile area the rocks reside on... I'm just thankful the rocks are far enough away that common sense takes over, and the real beauty of the area hasn't been destroyed.

-Tom Dragonetti
1.4x TC, 580EX ii, ST-E2

sponsored links

1,832 views & 0 likes for this thread
Death Valley on 1/18/2014
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.