Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 05 Jan 2014 (Sunday) 02:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What Do you do With your pictures?

grayline
247 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Jan 05, 2014 02:04 |  #1

This is a thread about wondering what the good people of POTN do with their hard earned Shots,Do you keep them on disc, on the camera, or copy to a DVD. Is all this equipment worth it?

;)

Gear List :EOS 70D ,Sigma 50mm 1.4,Tamron 18-270, Canon 18-55,Canon HFM31,Canon SX280HS,Olympus E-10 ,

sponsored links
1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 05, 2014 14:22 |  #2

Hard drives. I have ~140k pics on HDD's, and backup (disks) copies.

Kel
Gear

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
16,283 posts
Gallery: 148 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 05, 2014 14:26 |  #3

grayline wrote in post #16578705 (external link)
This is a thread about wondering what the good people of POTN do with their hard earned Shots,Do you keep them on disc, on the camera, or copy to a DVD. Is all this equipment worth it?

;)

And lets not forget prints grayline :D.

When I'm not doing weddings or social events I do a fair amount of personal project work with the goal being museum competition or show. Most will sit on the hard drive but those 2-4% that make the cut are printed, matted and framed.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,539 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 05, 2014 15:50 |  #4

Well, I keep all of the RAW files on my computer and my backup, organized with LR.

As for uses.....I make a large (160-200 page) photo book for my family every year. The kids love to flip through them all every once in a while. I also make photo books from trips that we take together as presents for my in-laws and parents.

Then I make photo calendars (also good gifts), I have some of my favorite photos hanging in frames around the house, I make sports posters for the kids on the teams I coach every year. Basically I print a lot of stuff.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

grayline
THREAD ­ STARTER
247 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Jan 06, 2014 00:08 |  #5

JeffreyG wrote in post #16580149 (external link)
Well, I keep all of the RAW files on my computer and my backup, organized with LR.

As for uses.....I make a large (160-200 page) photo book for my family every year. The kids love to flip through them all every once in a while. I also make photo books from trips that we take together as presents for my in-laws and parents.

Then I make photo calendars (also good gifts), I have some of my favorite photos hanging in frames around the house, I make sports posters for the kids on the teams I coach every year. Basically I print a lot of stuff.

Thats really cool I am now taking more shots with the family now that I have more ideas other than shoving them in a drawer or loading on a drive, thanks for the ideas,

Gear List :EOS 70D ,Sigma 50mm 1.4,Tamron 18-270, Canon 18-55,Canon HFM31,Canon SX280HS,Olympus E-10 ,

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jan 06, 2014 18:16 |  #6

I get large prints of the good stuff. Some I put on my walls, some I donate, some I sell. I share most of it to facebook because I really do this for fun and I'm not obsessed with making a profit. I save everything to a hard drive, have a second external drive I backup to, and I have a second backup at justcloud.com
I also keep a separate flickr account for sharing and discussing stuff with some of my photographer friends.

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 07, 2014 08:05 |  #7

grayline wrote in post #16581379 (external link)
Thats really cool I am now taking more shots with the family now that I have more ideas other than shoving them in a drawer or loading on a drive, thanks for the ideas,

definitely keep 2nd copy backups of all your important pics, the "good stuff"

taemo
Goldmember
1,243 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jan 07, 2014 09:26 |  #8

i upload family/friend shots on FB, my favourite shots on flickr.
i also have a 2nd dummy flickr account where i backup all my shots.

my absolut best shots though gets printed. viewing a print is 100x better than looking at it on a screen

earldieta.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - tumblr (external link) - gear/feedback
the spirit is willing but the body is sore and squishy
4 digital cameras | 14 film cameras

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,642 posts
Gallery: 158 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Jan 07, 2014 09:35 |  #9

I do it for a living and most of my professional work winds up in magazines, newspaper ads, billboards, I have a shot in Betty Whites book If you Ask Me and of course you wont, Legendary RT 66, Newsweek, Ladies Home Journal and many other publications and annual reports.

For my personal work I try to exhibit as often as I can. I had a large one man exhibit last April. I agree with taemo about prints. I don't have a website and I don't do facebook. I do post a lot (to much LoL) here

Oh also did fairly well in the two contests I entered last year.
20K and an 8K Leica were top prize in this one. 1900 entries and I made the top 20. Didn't get the big prize but did get a Mark of Excellence Award.
scroll down next to the bottom line.. the only floral
http://www.i-shot-it.com …tion.php?id=515​c1bef18d04 (external link)

And then the very next one. Also a Mark of Excellence (brides maid again) LoL This time 13K and an 8K Leica first prize but missed it again. But maid the finalists.
scroll down to line 15 image on the left (crown fountain shot)
http://www.i-shot-it.com …tion.php?id=51c​a16bccc149 (external link)

Everything gets double backed up. 2-6TB 2-4TB externals and both raw and finished files...

Echo63
Goldmember
2,868 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 07, 2014 11:40 |  #10

All of my pics get archived - I have 2 backup drives that are almost full (both identical, and stored in different locations)

A lot of my stuff gets run in the paper, other than that, i print some of my favorites and hang them on the wall.
I do intend to get a coffe table or bar with a glass top, and put some of my passes, With the best photo from the event under it, kinda a collage thing

My Best Imageswww.echo63.deviantart.​com (external link)
Gear listhttps://photography-on-the.net …p?p=2463426&pos​tcount=385

LeeRatters
Cream of the Crop
5,536 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 07, 2014 14:43 |  #11

JeffreyG wrote in post #16580149 (external link)

^^ This. I separated from the kids mum 12 months ago & am in the process of printing 200 images off to go in a ''2013 Album'' of me & the kids showing things we done, holidays, day trips, birthdays, etc etc

>> Flickr << (external link)

>> Instagram<< (external link)

hairy_moth
Goldmember
3,739 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 07, 2014 14:54 |  #12

I keep all my stuff (pictures, personal documents, tax records, etc.) on my hard drive.
I also use real-time backup software to keep a network drive backup upto date.
In addition to that, I have 2 USB3 drives (external link) that I periodically do a backup to and then always keep one at an off site location, in my case a safety deposit box, but any reasonably secure offsite location would do. I don't think it is a coincidence, though, that these drives fit nicely in the smallest standard size safety deposit box.

7D | 300D | G1X | Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 | EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro | EF 85mm f/1.8 | 70-200 f/2.8L MkII -- flickr (external link)

AZGeorge
Goldmember
2,645 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 07, 2014 18:10 |  #13

Fewer than one percent of my shots are printed and on someone's wall. Some of those, alas, may be on the closet or bathroom wall but some are displayed with pride.

Most exposures are deleted. More should be.

A few hundred live on various web sites.

The rest are on my system hard drive, a backup external and a remote server. If I were better at deleting most of those would have gone to dev null.

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,597 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 07, 2014 21:37 as a reply to  @ AZGeorge's post |  #14

On HDD, trying to keep backups. Some important are at on-line storage.
And some of them are in the archival film sleeves. :rolleyes:

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

PH68
599 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Jan 11, 2014 16:38 |  #15

Post-process in LR and/or PS.
Save to JPEG.
Delete RAW files.

Have about 10 years of jpeg's... about 170GB on the PC (and backup).

Share best jpegs with family & friends usually via picasa/email/social media.
Some get hung on the wall.

Fuji XE1 ~ XF18 ~ XF27 ~ XF60 ~ XC50-230

sponsored links

2,494 views & 0 likes for this thread
What Do you do With your pictures?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.