Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
Thread started 21 Mar 2013 (Thursday) 11:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

PowerShot SX280 HS

martie01
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Jun 18, 2013 19:24 as a reply to  @ post 15872670 |  #16

I am going on vacation soon and like many here I was a bit indecisive to buy the sx280. Its a small camera and for me that is a plus. I also wanted to geo tag my excursions as I always thought this was cool when folks come back from vacation or share the "goin ons" if you will why they are away.

Canon SX280 (My personal View and What convinced me to purcahse) (external link)

sponsored links
kendp
57 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Sep 02, 2013 08:42 |  #17

IMPORTANT: Fix For Battery Problem

I was having a problem that I thought was due to the poor quality of the batteries, including the Canon battery. After I had used the camera for time it seemed the batteries were not holding their charge, then it got tot he point where when I put in a fully re-charged battery the camera would start, shut off immediately and tell me the batteries need to be charged. However, when I put the battery in the camera the green light came on almost immediately, telling me the battery was already charged.

My problem was that after a period of time using the camera that the batteries seemed to lose much of their charge. Then not even a fully re-charged battery would work. The charger by means of the green light was saying the batteries were charged. However, the camera would start then shut off immediately saying on the screen that the batteries needed to be charged.

Yesterday I contacted Canon service and received a quick response. The fix, they said, was to remove the battery from the camera, CLOSE the battery door, then press and hold the start button for 1 minute. At the end of the minute, I opened the door, put in the battery, one of those the camera had been saying needed to be charged even though the charger said it was charged, and pressed the start button. This time when the camera started I could see on the screen that the camera considered the battery fully charged. What a relief!

Canon said that what happens is that sometimes the camera's capacitor (whatever that is) retains some of the energy, causing the symptoms that I was experiencing. Removing the battery,closing the battery compartment door, and pressing the start button for 1 minute drains all the energy out of the camera and resets the camera.

I asked whether it was possible that I will have to do this again, the reply was "yes", it is very possible because they don't yet know the cause.

jcayer
46 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 03, 2013 09:25 |  #18

I just bought the SX270Hs. Same as the 280 without the GPS / Wifi.

So far I absolutely love this camera !!!

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/jcayer/image/152137562/original.jpg

Best regards,
Jean
http://www.pbase.com/j​cayer (external link)
EOS 7D gripped, Rebel Xti, Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 II apo ex dg macro, Sigma 18-200 DC OS, Sigma 10-20 ex dc hsm f/4-5.6, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Lensbaby composer :)

gug
356 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 16, 2013 05:55 |  #19

The series of pics that follow show the zoom power of the SX280. There are 5 pics in all and they were all taken at the Orvieto Cathedral in Orvieto, IT. The focal point was just above the right door from the first pic. The first pic is no zoom and the following pics are of the same subject, just zoomed in further each time. This was done hand held and good light is a plus. I did this with each section of the panels on the front of the cathedral.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

gug
356 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 16, 2013 05:57 |  #20

The next 2 shots.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

gug
356 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 16, 2013 05:58 |  #21

The last shot.

HOSTED PHOTO

MandiC
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Nov 16, 2013 21:43 |  #22

I think I have decided on the SX280, anyone have any tips on figuring out how to get the best pictures from this camera? Books/websites/ect?

PapaGary
515 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Nov 16, 2013 21:52 |  #23

MandiC wrote in post #16457282 (external link)
I think I have decided on the SX280, anyone have any tips on figuring out how to get the best pictures from this camera? Books/websites/ect?

Buy extra batteries.

http://forums.usa.cano​n.com …shooting-video/td-p/22489 (external link)

81 pages of people unhappy with their SX280.

denncald
Goldmember
2,115 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 17, 2013 19:12 |  #24

PapaGary wrote in post #16457300 (external link)
Buy extra batteries.

http://forums.usa.cano​n.com …shooting-video/td-p/22489 (external link)

81 pages of people unhappy with their SX280.

The common theme appears to be the video mode eating batteries. Solution = don't use video? I've almost never used video on any of my digital cameras, so it is possible to only use the camera to take photos. However, a lot of folks today want to also be able to take HD video. From reading a sampling (old and current) of the 81 pages of comments shows the problem has been around for the past year since it was released, and Canon has not provided a "fix" for it. That's too bad, since the camera is appealing.

Dennis

Pupsocket
167 posts
Joined May 2009

Nov 18, 2013 19:13 |  #25

I bought my SX280 a month or two ago. It had the updated firmware. Zooming while shooting video taxes the battery. I bought the camera for the compact size, lens reach and video quality, knowing that the battery capacity was an issue.

Here's what I do to maximize shooting:
- charge when you can
- keep extra charged batteries on hand
- lithium batteries can increase their usable capacity after a few discharge cycles
- avoid zoom while shooting
- if low battery light comes on, cycle power to reset it (I've gotten 3-4 30-second clips after the low battery light comes on)
- keep in mind this isn't a dedicated video cam, and work within its limitations

Sample vid:
http://vimeo.com/76614​138 (external link)

Karl
XSi and a few of those lens-thingies
Flickr (external link)

gug
356 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 19, 2013 06:21 |  #26

Pupsocket wrote in post #16462126 (external link)
I bought my SX280 a month or two ago. It had the updated firmware. Zooming while shooting video taxes the battery. I bought the camera for the compact size, lens reach and video quality, knowing that the battery capacity was an issue.

Here's what I do to maximize shooting:
- charge when you can
- keep extra charged batteries on hand
- lithium batteries can increase their usable capacity after a few discharge cycles
- avoid zoom while shooting
- if low battery light comes on, cycle power to reset it (I've gotten 3-4 30-second clips after the low battery light comes on)
- keep in mind this isn't a dedicated video cam, and work within its limitations

Sample vid:
http://vimeo.com/76614​138 (external link)

I can't agree more. The battery is an issue with this camera. But I bought the aftermarket (3) on Amazon that had good reviews and they might be better than the OEM. The batteries are small 1 5/8" x 1 1/4" x 1/4".If you shoot nonstop video you will run about 12-15 min. at full resolution 60fps, see the above video, it takes awesome video for a point and shoot. It takes about 150-200 pics on a charge and I have 4 batteries I carry.

MandiC
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Nov 29, 2013 18:09 as a reply to  @ gug's post |  #27

Thanks for the input! My sx280 arrived today, I also ordered 2 extra batteries knowing that battery was an issue.

grayline
247 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 31, 2013 21:03 |  #28

I just Purchased a SX280 in July for our trip to Europe it was the Best P&S Ive ever Owned. Very Very Pleased

Gear List :EOS 70D ,Sigma 50mm 1.4,Tamron 18-270, Canon 18-55,Canon HFM31,Canon SX280HS,Olympus E-10 ,

julioangelortiz
79 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 05, 2014 14:44 |  #29

Just picked up the SX280, and can't wait to get started with it. Brought me back to this forum; used to own a G10 (loved that camera) but wanted something that was WiFi capable to transfer pictures to my iPhone, had long reach, and didn't cost $500.

Canon SX280 HS
Google+external link | Instagramexternal link

grayline
247 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Jan 06, 2014 00:13 |  #30

julioangelortiz wrote in post #16579980 (external link)
Just picked up the SX280, and can't wait to get started with it. Brought me back to this forum; used to own a G10 (loved that camera) but wanted something that was WiFi capable to transfer pictures to my iPhone, had long reach, and didn't cost $500.

try the panorama settings theyre amazin!
simply love mine very easy to use on TV oe Manual too

Gear List :EOS 70D ,Sigma 50mm 1.4,Tamron 18-270, Canon 18-55,Canon HFM31,Canon SX280HS,Olympus E-10 ,

sponsored links

23,509 views & 0 likes for this thread
PowerShot SX280 HS
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.