Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 06 Jan 2014 (Monday) 05:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Selling all my gear in exchange for manual lenses??

Kanye
670 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Jan 06, 2014 05:34 |  #1

I've recently fallen victim to manual lens technology. My Takumar 50mm f/1.4, for example, replaced the Canon version. The difference was too great. Thinking of dumping my 100mm 2.8L and 28-80mm 2.8-4.0L as well.

What are your favorite manual lenses????? Thinking of going Helios 44ish.

There's just too much quality at stake here, not to mention flexibility.

Anyone else do the same when you stopped having GAS?

sponsored links
n1as
Goldmember
2,327 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 06, 2014 05:49 |  #2

Sort of. Lately I find myself swapping for lighter / faster lenses. My f/2.8 tele zoom was replaced with 3 primes. My f/4 normal and UWA zooms were replaced primes.

As part of the swap I picked up a 2nd Zeiss ZE lens. I like the IQ and am fine with manual focus, or at least fine enough that I'm willing to deal with it to get the IQ benefits.

- Keith
http://darwinphoto.zen​folio.com (external link)

Qlayer2
OOOHHH! Pretty Moth!
941 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Jan 06, 2014 07:57 |  #3

I went the other route you did- started out by collecting manual focus lenses before I bought the big boys. I have a vivitar 35mm 2.8, a Super Takumar 135mm f2.5, a meyer-optik oreston 50mm 1.8, and am waiting on my 3rd edition vivitar 70-210 series 1 to be delivered. The 35mm is a sweet lens, and the meyer-optik is lots of fun- it's bokeh is always interesting. The Super Takumar is very sharp- it has a long focus throw so you need take your time and dial it in. The best part? I got three prime lenses and a tele zoom lens for a total of $200.

The great (and dangerous) thing about collecting manual focus lenses is there are so many to try. I've stuck with all M42 mounts for now, but find myself starting to look at some of the old olympus OM zuiko lenses, and pondering those. You can find deals on ebay, but a lot of the stores like KEH, B&H, and Adorama have a fair amount of manual lenses there as well. And of course, your local flea market/garage sale finds are usually the best and cheapest.

ZoneV
Goldmember
1,643 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 06, 2014 08:03 |  #4

Kanye wrote in post #16581657 (external link)

Stopped GAS with manual lenses?
I own more than 300 manual lenses, I think it really started with manual lenses and DSLR cameras :-)
I have not sold my few AF lenses, on lens is lend to a friend since at least six months, another is on the camera my wife uses.

I own several copies of the Helios 44 lens, a relative good very cheap lens, cost here about 10 Euro with a bit time.
With this lens I make a lot of experiments, I use it for bokeh apodization (external link)filtering, and coating removal (external link)experiments and others.

My most loved lens is theMeyer Görlitz Trioplan 100 (external link). I love its special bokeh rendering.

But there are many other "good" manual lenses.
I like the Nikon AI and AI-S lenses, or the Zeiss Contax lenses. Steinheil, Meyer, Zeiss Jena, Isco, Pentax, Canon FD, Olympus, Zenit, Minolta, Novoflex, Rodenstock, Schneider, Vivitar, Tamron, Vivitar, and many others have build great manual lenses.

DIY-Homepage (external link) - Image Gallery (external link) - Gear List

KirkS518
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 06, 2014 08:37 |  #5

I have a mix of AF and MF, and all have their place. I don't know if I'd give up the AF stuff entirely. The AF comes in handy on many occasions.

I have the Helios, and I like it, but I like the 'Helios Original' - the Carl Zeiss Biotar just a little better. Maybe it's just because the lens looks a little more unique, or because it's older, but the Biotar gives wonderful images, with the swirly bokeh.

Some of the old UWA's are really nice too (and affordable). I have a Vivitar 20mm 3.8 M42 that I really like, but I use my Sigma 10-20 more, so I'm selling the Vivitar. I haven't really tried too many of the older Teles, so no help there.

Are you thinking of completely replacing your lens line-up? Or just supplement with MF for the uniqueness for occasional use?

If steroids are illegal for athletes, should PS be illegal for models?
Digital - 50D, 20D IR Conv, 9 Lenses from 8mm to 300mm
Analog - Mamiya RB67 Pro-SD, Canon A-1, Nikon F4S, YashicaMat 124G, Rollei 35S, QL17 GIII, Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex 1st Version, and and entire room full of lenses and other stuff

justamateur
214 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Jan 06, 2014 10:46 |  #6

I found the thread about old soviet lenses, and I went crazy!
I want manual lenses on dslr.
Here is one problem: after searching ebay all around, Russian forums, I can say that there are not much decent soviet lenses for sale, and if they are, they are overpriced, imo. At least for me, since I remember soviet cameras well.

So, I turned my research toward Pentax K bayonet cameras. Specifically to Pentax K1000. I can leave my Canon experiment free (I just can not mess with my new camera! :) ), buy pentax K DSLRm, and mount manual K bayonet lenses on it. It seems like I don't need any type of adapter for it.
Also, if I find old soviet K mount lenses, I don't need an adapter for it.

So, pro, what do you think? It worth to try to play around with old pentax lenses?
Just to be sure, I turned off af on my sl1, took a few pics with the manual focus. I still can focus manually.

gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,431 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 06, 2014 11:02 |  #7

Look at MIR 24H 35/2 (Russian,) Leica R, Olympus, Meyer. Gene

GEAR LIST

Nick3434
Goldmember
1,568 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 06, 2014 11:10 |  #8

Hmmm. I would never go that far, but m42 stuff will always be part of my kit. I also have the Pentax 1.4, and I shot a kids party this weekend, and I had the best shots with that lens over the 2 other "L" lenses I brought as well. Now that was basically due to FL, but going through them, that lens has a serious look and IQ.....if it had AF and a red ring at $1000 people would be singing about how awesome it was for a bargain price.

I did something similar though and have completely gone away from zooms, and I have seen the value of really fast glass and the flexibility comes with it, so no more 2.8 stuff for me either under 200mm. for me, I like the feel of pictures a lens renders, not just "sharp" (which i would trade all day for feel) and good primes for the most part do that, and also for the most part old schools hit that nail on the head.

There are still some lenses you won't replace with the old stuff. My favorite current lens is the 24, and I don't think there is an optical equivilant for that. But 50, 85, 100 etc. great FLs for old school quality. I wouldn't go all old school, but I would never blame anyone Who did and totally get why. I just finished an awesome Bob marley documentary, and all the photos are from lenses like these and film obviously, and the pictures really struck me as they just had more soul than a lot of what I see today, regardless of noise and sharpness.

Everything is relative.
Gear: 6D, Unholy Trinity:twisted: (24Lii, sigma 50A, 135L), and for the other ends of the spectrum, sigmaEX 14mm2.8 and sigmaEX 100-300F4.
Fuji X-e2, Rokinon 8 2.8 Fisheye II, Fuji 14 2.8, Fuji 18-55, Fuji 23 1.4
FlikR (external link)

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jan 06, 2014 12:08 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

Take a look at the Zuiko lens, especially the 21mm. Extremely small and light and deliver a punch.

nightcat
Goldmember
4,512 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 06, 2014 13:57 |  #10

I'd recommend the following...

Nikon 50mm 1.8 AIS
Nikon 28mm 2.8 AIS
Contax Zeiss 50mm 1.7
Contax Zeiss 28mm 2.8

I'd hang on to that 100mm 2.8 if I were you.

eddie3dfx
486 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jan 06, 2014 19:42 |  #11

nightcat wrote in post #16582695 (external link)
I'd recommend the following...

Nikon 50mm 1.8 AIS
Nikon 28mm 2.8 AIS
Contax Zeiss 50mm 1.7
Contax Zeiss 28mm 2.8

I'd hang on to that 100mm 2.8 if I were you.

Distagon 28mm is really a wonderful lens. I have the MMJ version and I find it to be very sharp and have wonderful natural color... Even the bokeh is very nice.

I've had 3 copies of the 50mm 1.7 and 1 copy of the 50mm 1.4 mmj.. the 50mm 1.4 is sharper and really is bitingly sharp from 2.8 on... The 1.7 is close, but just not as sharp as the 1.4... mind you the 1.4 is double the price.

This is a real world example of the distagon 28mm 2.8 (right out of the camera jpeg, +7 sharpness, neutral other)

http://gifti.me/i/S4UW​A62YM.jpg (external link)

Canon 6D, Canon L 24-105, Zeiss Distagon 28mm 2.8, Planar 50mm 1.4, Planar 85mm 1.4, Sonnar 135mm 2.8 & Zeiss Mutar 2x, Canon 50mm 1.8
http://www.edwinraffph​otography.com/ (external link)

clarkent1
134 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 06, 2014 20:18 |  #12

ZoneV wrote in post #16581833 (external link)
Stopped GAS with manual lenses?
I own more than 300 manual lenses, I think it really started with manual lenses and DSLR cameras :-)
I have not sold my few AF lenses, on lens is lend to a friend since at least six months, another is on the camera my wife uses.

I own several copies of the Helios 44 lens, a relative good very cheap lens, cost here about 10 Euro with a bit time.
With this lens I make a lot of experiments, I use it for bokeh apodization (external link)filtering, and coating removal (external link)experiments and others.

My most loved lens is theMeyer Görlitz Trioplan 100 (external link). I love its special bokeh rendering.

But there are many other "good" manual lenses.
I like the Nikon AI and AI-S lenses, or the Zeiss Contax lenses. Steinheil, Meyer, Zeiss Jena, Isco, Pentax, Canon FD, Olympus, Zenit, Minolta, Novoflex, Rodenstock, Schneider, Vivitar, Tamron, Vivitar, and many others have build great manual lenses.

huge fan of your website, i believe your test shots of the trioplan drove up the prices over the years. I would love to own one, but can't find a good price anywhere.

Canon 5D Mark III - 35L - 50L - 85L II

eddie3dfx
486 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jan 06, 2014 20:40 |  #13

I've recently fallen victim to manual lens technology. My Takumar 50mm f/1.4, for example, replaced the Canon version. The difference was too great. Thinking of dumping my 100mm 2.8L and 28-80mm 2.8-4.0L as well.

What are your favorite manual lenses????? Thinking of going Helios 44ish.

There's just too much quality at stake here, not to mention flexibility.

I love the pictures of the kids. Great shots!

Canon 6D, Canon L 24-105, Zeiss Distagon 28mm 2.8, Planar 50mm 1.4, Planar 85mm 1.4, Sonnar 135mm 2.8 & Zeiss Mutar 2x, Canon 50mm 1.8
http://www.edwinraffph​otography.com/ (external link)

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,476 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 06, 2014 20:43 |  #14

I have not bought or sold a lens in a long time and I don't plan to anytime in the future. But I will never give up autofocus. I love autofocus like I love refrigeration, air conditioning, cars, television and my kindle on a long flight.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

Kanye
THREAD ­ STARTER
670 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Jan 06, 2014 21:58 |  #15

eddie3dfx wrote in post #16583865 (external link)
I love the pictures of the kids. Great shots!

Thanks. :)

It was harder than it looks focusing on a toddler, but well worth it!!!

sponsored links

2,758 views & 0 likes for this thread
Selling all my gear in exchange for manual lenses??
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.