Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 06 Jan 2014 (Monday) 16:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Going to Hawaii..CPL filter and IS lens

tinalawson2225
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Jan 06, 2014 16:01 |  #1

Hi there, we are going to Hawaii and I want amazing pictures. I have the T3i, with 18-55 is lens, the 55-250 is lens, the ef 100mm f/2 usm ( which I am thinking of selling for nifty 50). I have read that there are problems with the cpl filter and IS lenses, Help :-)

sponsored links
John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,120 posts
Joined May 2003

Jan 06, 2014 16:09 |  #2

tinalawson2225 wrote in post #16583004 (external link)
... I have read that there are problems with the cpl filter and IS lenses, Help :-)

There is no reason why a combo of an IS lens and circular polarizer should present any issues.

You can spend a ton of money on a polarizer. What I suggest is the "Moose Hoya" polarizer. It is a good balance between cost and performance. Do a search on Amazon but verify the size should you decide to purchase.

dpds68
Goldmember
1,464 posts
Joined May 2008

Jan 06, 2014 16:51 |  #3

What you may be talking about is a Lens with rotating front barrel and a Polarizer , I have used it with that combo but adjusted the filter after achieving focus .

And welcome to POTN

David

Gripped Canon 7D,20D,XT / Tamron 17-50mm 2.8, Canon 85mm f1.8 , 70-200 2.8L,EF50mm1.8 II,Sigma 150-500mm OS, Sigma 105mm 2.8 Macro, Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6
Vivitar285Hv x2,Canon430EX,Nissin Di866,CTR-301P Triggers,
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/dpds68/ (external link)

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,256 posts
Gallery: 1674 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Jan 06, 2014 17:30 |  #4

tinalawson2225 wrote in post #16583004 (external link)
Hi there, we are going to Hawaii and I want amazing pictures. I have the T3i, with 18-55 is lens, the 55-250 is lens, the ef 100mm f/2 usm ( which I am thinking of selling for nifty 50). I have read that there are problems with the cpl filter and IS lenses, Help :-)

Heya,

You can do it all with those two lenses pretty much, assuming you know what you're doing with light capturing and know your camera and lenses well.

I would keep the 100m F2. Unless you just absolutely abhor that focal length. It's better than the 50mm F1.8 II.

If you don't already have one, I would suggest an ND filter, 58mm should match your lenses so you can use one on both. A 3 to 5 stop neutral density filter would help you take really amazing landscape, beach, etc photos. Tripod & shutter release will be super handy, and required for some kinds of shots.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

tinalawson2225
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Jan 06, 2014 17:58 |  #5

Thanks for all of the in-put,
I do LOVE my 100mm f2.
NOW, the question would be, cpl or nd filter? pros & cons? or do I just take my 3 lenses and hope for the best?

eelnoraa
Goldmember
1,798 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 06, 2014 18:10 |  #6

If you shoot photo, CPL. You only need ND if you are looking to shoot long exposure in day time or large aperture with flash.

If you shoot video, then you want ND in day time

5Di, 5Diii, 28, 50, 85, 16-35II, 24-105, 70-200F2.8 IS

tinalawson2225
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Jan 06, 2014 18:15 |  #7

Thank you :-)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,120 posts
Joined May 2003

Jan 06, 2014 18:18 |  #8

Having done about a dozen trips to Hawaii I can tell you I've never taken an ND, but I would venture to guess that more than 1/2 my images were done with a CPL. If you were going to concentrate on waterfalls and you wanted that silky effect you sometimes see, then yes an ND could be useful. It too can be costly but basically has limited use whereas the CPL can be used for virtually any outdoor shot and works at its best in sunshine.

By the way, what area are you headed for?

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 06, 2014 18:22 |  #9

I spend about 1/2 time there. Which island? I've used CPL and a 10 stop ND quite a bit. Enjoy youself, its a great place.

tinalawson2225
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Jan 06, 2014 18:30 |  #10

Going to Oahu, first time ever. We are sooooo excited.
I am kind of thinking of getting a CPL for my 100mm, or 50mm if I go that way, and just leaving the other 2 alone. opinions?

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,481 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 06, 2014 18:44 |  #11

Definitely want the CPL; and just remember that the front element of those two lenses rotates during focus, so you'll have to adjust your CPL (carefully, to not mess with focus) after getting your AF lock.

Regular NDs, as mentioned above, might help with long exposures, but not something you're as likely to need on the trip; you'd probably be better served with some graduated NDs to help control sky exposure when it's much brighter than your foreground...but that's getting off into a whole new land of driving yourself a little spare. For now, I'd get the appropriately sized CPL and enjoying your trip!

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,120 posts
Joined May 2003

Jan 06, 2014 19:16 |  #12

I think if you check the lenses mentioned in your initial post, 18-55 is lens, the 55-250 is lens, the ef 100mm f/2 usm, you will find they all use a 58mm filter. The 50mm you mentioned later will also likely be 58mm, especially if a Canon.

Make sure you bring lens hoods if you have them. If you don't have them consider getting one for the 18-55mm which will likely be your most often used lens. Cheap ones can be acquired off eBay.

The Pearl Harbor Memorial is a must. Take a drive to the windward side of the island for wonderful surfing action. A little known excursion in Oahu is a submarine dive where you can see some WWII wreakage. Five years ago we went down to about 105 feet. Unigue experience, everyone has a window. Learn about light...red disappears at about 60 feet down so if you wear red it will turn blue and show up as blue in an available light shot. Use flash, that item will turn red.

Like coffee? Most Starbucks serve 100% Kona until about 11:00 AM. Its an awesome cup of java.

Enjoy your trip...my 1st trip to Oahu was in 1963. Still going back.

tinalawson2225
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Jan 06, 2014 19:42 |  #13

John, thank you, I have hoods for all except the 100mm. I had been doing some research and also found that they all use a 58mm filter. So...I think I will get that cpl and play around a bit, maybe keep the 100mm and get it a hood.
My parents are doing the submarine, I will share that info, very cool. My parents first trip was for r&r when he was in Vietnam, they have included us in this 1st time return trip!
As for coffee....I LOVE coffee and will be going to starbucks daily!

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,120 posts
Joined May 2003

Jan 06, 2014 20:18 |  #14

As I said, my 1st trip to Oahu was in 1963, also on my way to Vietnam (Navy officer). Honolulu is a different place than it was back then as is the North Shore of the Island which was essentially deserted and now unfortunately resembles Miami in terms of hotels, condos etc.

tinalawson2225
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Jan 06, 2014 21:32 |  #15

My Dad is retired Air Force :-)
I am making myself completely crazy now, I think that I have discovered that I don't want to mess with the CPL on the IS lenses, I think I will stress myself out too much with focusing and then adjusting the cpl, SO, should I get a CPL for my 100mm or get the 50mm f 1.8. The 50 HAS to be much lighter and smaller, but will I be giving up anything? When I think of pics at dinner and luau's, would the 100 be to close?
Sorry, I truly am making myself nuts :-(

sponsored links

2,805 views & 0 likes for this thread
Going to Hawaii..CPL filter and IS lens
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.