Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 05 Jan 2014 (Sunday) 11:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Purchasing a new computer. Mac or PC?

Fabian9931
609 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jan 05, 2014 11:25 |  #1

Hello everyone, I am sure this has been over the internet a million times. I just need some help. I am currently using a HP laptop that is very slow and can't handle video editing and specially the previewing. Rendering takes forever. I am running 60D vids.

Current set up:
sony vegas 10
HP Laptop (old and slow)
Canon 60D videos (HD)

I am looking to start with a fresh computer. Theres always that talk about Mac. I have apple products but nothing for a computer. I am scared to get one because I've been using a PC my whole life. What do I do? I do videos as a hobby, not professionally. I am torn between a PC with i5 proc 8mb of ram laptop, sony brand with sony movie software on there already. Or should i commit to a Mac and learn the whole platform. If i do would i just use the software that comes with it? imovie? or should i get an additional software? Should i just get a desktop?

Canon 60D EOS | Canon 50mm f1.4 | Canon 70-200mm IS f2.8 L | Canon 16-35mm 2.8 L II | 430 EX Speedlite x2 | PocketWizard x2 | Alienbee 400 | DIY Beauty Dish for 430ex and AB400 |

sponsored links
kuvhmoob
290 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jan 05, 2014 19:53 |  #2

From my own experience, get a Mac. I've been using a PC for a long time before making the switch. I will not go back to PC because most of the virus out there are targeting PC's. Do yourself a favor and learn from my experience and get yourself a Mac. Most people in the video and photography business use a Mac...that's what it's design for...

5D + Tamron 28-75, T2i + Tamron 17-50 non-VC, Panasonic Lumix LX7

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,278 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Jan 05, 2014 19:55 |  #3

8MB of RAM is probably the problem. LoL
I hope you meant GB. Go for 16 minimum for video.

Seriously look at an iMac. The switch will not take you long to figure out. It's simple really.
iMovie is pretty good. You should start with it until you find things it doesn't do for you.
If you need the MS Office programs you need to add Office to you budget.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,639 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 05, 2014 20:20 |  #4

Fabian9931 wrote in post #16579538 (external link)
I am looking to start with a fresh computer. Theres always that talk about Mac. I have apple products but nothing for a computer. I am scared to get one because I've been using a PC my whole life.

Don't be scared to try. The learning curve is really not that bad. I have never used a Mac before (well elementary school but that was 25 years ago) and I recently made the switch and it wasn't difficult at all.

1000arms
862 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 05, 2014 20:40 |  #5

Fabian9931 wrote in post #16579538 (external link)
Hello everyone, I am sure this has been over the internet a million times. I just need some help. I am currently using a HP laptop that is very slow and can't handle video editing and specially the previewing. Rendering takes forever. I am running 60D vids.

Current set up:
sony vegas 10
HP Laptop (old and slow)
Canon 60D videos (HD)

I am looking to start with a fresh computer. Theres always that talk about Mac. I have apple products but nothing for a computer. I am scared to get one because I've been using a PC my whole life. What do I do? I do videos as a hobby, not professionally. I am torn between a PC with i5 proc 8mb of ram laptop, sony brand with sony movie software on there already. Or should i commit to a Mac and learn the whole platform. If i do would i just use the software that comes with it? imovie? or should i get an additional software? Should i just get a desktop?

Although you have mentioned Sony Vegas, you might look at “Optimizing Hardware Systems for Adobe® Premiere, After Effects, SpeedGrade, and PS" found at http://www.adobe.com …erformance-whitepaper.pdf (external link) for information, at least for Adobe CS6, regarding cores, hyperthreading, RAM, graphic cards, and the amount of graphic card memory.

Adobe CS6 is still offered in a perpetual license rather than requiring a monthly subscription. Large educational discounts are available for many teachers and students (which may or may not be of use to you). It is available for Apple and for PCs.

Desktops will usually give you more video processing power for the money spent than a laptop. SSDs are very useful for boot and cache drives, although large video files are often put on spinning hard-drives because of the cost of large SSDs.

Some people like Apple computers, some like PCs. I suggest you use the search thread on this forum, there are a number of threads. :) Your choice of software might push you towards a certain platform.

The Adobe White Paper contains a lot of useful information regarding hardware optimization.

Ruggo
106 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Jan 06, 2014 18:41 |  #6

Agree wholeheartedly with 1000arms.
On the hardware front, gone are the days that Macs were the go to system for video editing, as that was when they had the better proprietary hardware. Now they use the same innards as a PC. It really does boil down to your preference in software.

sspellman
Goldmember
1,731 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 07, 2014 10:37 |  #7

Macs are more popular in the video and creative professional worlds than PCs. However, if this is just a hobby for you, there is a significant cost increase to upgrade to any Mac vs a PC of $500-1000. Sony Vegas is a very easy system to work on when you have the right computer, and is not available on a Mac. Purchasing the equivalent product on a Mac is Final Cut Pro and that's an extra $300.

Its a tough call and a significant investment for a hobby to upgrade to a Mac.

ScottSpellmanMedia.com [photography]

J_O_S_H_U_A
265 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jan 07, 2014 12:24 |  #8

In my opinion, to settle the "Mac vs. PC question regarding which is right for you" you ask yourself and consider the following:

Are you hardware savvy and feel comfortable installing and upgrading componants?

Because if the answer is YES then a PC can offer you much more customization and bang for the buck. I am a mac guy, have been for over a decade and I would never want to work professionally on a PC... BUT I do understand that peoples needs are different. I just want my machine to work, right out of the box, and I am willing to pay extra for that. Most PC users place higher value on the ability to customize a system and max out their hardware specs.

....it all boils down to what is right for YOU.

good luck!

www.instagram.com/_j_o​_s_h_u_a_ (external link) www.atomiccanary.com (external link) http://joshuaorozco.co​m (external link)

WedlockImages
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Jan 07, 2014 15:03 |  #9

Always been a MAC user and LOVE IT, but I am the first to say... go with what works best for you! There is nothing wrong with PC's, especially if that's what you're use to!

Scott Stimeare
Nashville Wedding Photographers (external link)
Wedlock Images (external link)

one2nite
436 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 07, 2014 18:05 |  #10

I used mac in school and have pc now. Never had a problem with pc. Im not a fanboy or anything like that

I dont connect my pc to the internet. I just use it to edit etc.
its a hp amd 8 core desktop. 10gb ram. sony vegas 11. picked it up for like 600 last year
no lag or anything

Canon 6d +70d
Canon 17-40L / Sigma 50mm 1.4 / Canon 85mm 1.8 / Canon 18-135mm / Sigma 50-150 2.8 / Canon 580 EX / Gopro / EOS M

jkim3381
142 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jan 07, 2014 18:09 |  #11

If video is just a hobby, the mac wouldn't be a bad idea at all. I find the Mac OS to be much more user friendly and easy to work around. However, if you're considering to do video more professionally with cameras like the BMCC, I would highly suggest a PC since you can upgrade components if you're current setup doesn't cut it. Other than that, I would go with a Mac.

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 14, 2014 22:06 |  #12

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=Hi5Qh1UgUik (external link) Might have some useful info/perspective

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

sponsored links

1,476 views & 0 likes for this thread
Purchasing a new computer. Mac or PC?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.