Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 05 Jan 2014 (Sunday) 23:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

8mm Fisheye Questions

KirkS518
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 05, 2014 23:53 |  #1

I'm considering getting a fisheye, as we're getting a puppy, and I think I can have fun with the combination. As this is something that would see very limited usage, Sigma/Canon brand lenses are out due to budget. Just have a couple of questions before I pick one.

In the "SamyangBoweRokinOptek​a" labeled lenses, is there any difference at all? I've read that Opteka is now making the lens themselves (in China, not Korea), but supposedly have not changed anything (but they call it 6.5mm??).

Is it worth the extra bucks to get the new version that has the removable hood? I'm using crops (50D & 20D), and don't foresee moving to FF anytime in the future.

I know they are fully manual (no problems there), but I do like a focus confirm, as I don't always trust my eyes anymore. Would getting the Nikon version, and adding on the Nikon>EOS AF confirm adapter work?

Also, regarding the non-Canon mount versions, from what I've read, the Canon version provides a 167° AOV, whereas the other mounts (Nikon, Pentax, etc) have a 180° AOV. See this link for where that info comes from. (external link)

And lastly, how is the Peleng compared to the above?

If steroids are illegal for athletes, should PS be illegal for models?
Digital - 50D, 20D IR Conv, 9 Lenses from 8mm to 300mm
Analog - Mamiya RB67 Pro-SD, Canon A-1, Nikon F4S, YashicaMat 124G, Rollei 35S, QL17 GIII, Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex 1st Version, and and entire room full of lenses and other stuff

sponsored links
jack880
Goldmember
2,848 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 06, 2014 03:19 |  #2

Can't answer your question but you'll be able to get some cool dog shots with a fisheye!

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/jackhenriques/ (external link)
1DX, 7D, 20D, G7X II, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 24-70 f/2.8 L, 16-35 f/2.8 L II, 50 f/1.8 II, 50 f/1.4, TS-E 17 f/4 L, 8-15 f/4 L, Sigma 17-50 f/2.8, Sigma 8-16 f/4.5-5.6, Sigma 150 f/2.8 macro, x1.4 extender II, Kenko extension tubes, 430 EX II x 2, DJI Mavic Air

pulsar123
Goldmember
2,140 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 06, 2014 07:37 |  #3

As far as I know:

- Optical formula is identical in all rebranded versions of the Samyang lens. It is a fisheye, so doesn't really have a well defined focal length. From my measurements, FL is actually close to 8.5 mm at the very center, and then progressively becomes smaller as you move to the edge. Which allows the vendors to choose their "official FL" almost randomly.

- If the price difference is substantial, just get the older version of the lens. If you ever get a FF camera, you can always try a DIY hack (cutting off the hood) - that's what I'll probably do once I upgrade to FF.

- Focus confirm is totally useless with this lens, given how huge DoF is. I read that you'll get a better focus accuracy (compared to a focus confirm chip) by simply eyeballing the distance to the object, and then setting it on the lens' distance scale. Important note - distance scale is uncalibrated, you'll have to do it yourself. Usually I simply set the distance scale to hyperfocal distance at apertures f8-f11 (you can find that distance experimentally), an never touch it again - everything will be pixel-sharp between ~0.7m and infinity.

- Canon gives smaller FOV with this lens because its sensor is smaller than that of Nikon (1.6 vs 1.5 crop factor). No mechanical adapter can change that.

6D, Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC, 135L, 70-200 f4L, Laowa 15mm 1:1 macro, 50mm f1.8 STM, Samyang 8mm fisheye, home studio

packerfan1968
40 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jan 06, 2014 07:47 |  #4

pulsar123 wrote in post #16581788 (external link)
As far as I know:

- Focus confirm is totally useless with this lens, given how huge DoF is. I read that you'll get a better focus accuracy (compared to a focus confirm chip) by simply eyeballing the distance to the object, and then setting it on the lens' distance scale. Important note - distance scale is uncalibrated, you'll have to do it yourself. Usually I simply set the distance scale to hyperfocal distance at apertures f8-f11 (you can find that distance experimentally), an never touch it again - everything will be pixel-sharp between ~0.7m and infinity.

Yes, my experience, too. Set it once and basically leave it alone. I have yet to have an out of focus photo with this lens, it is really a very sharp lens. All manual everything adjustment-wise on Canons.

Facebook Photography Page (external link) | My Website - John Burzynski Photography (external link) | My Flickr (external link)

KirkS518
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 06, 2014 08:29 as a reply to  @ packerfan1968's post |  #5

jack880 wrote in post #16581549 (external link)
Can't answer your question but you'll be able to get some cool dog shots with a fisheye!

That's what I'm thinking. Like the South Park episode of cute puppies in hats! :D

pulsar123 wrote in post #16581788 (external link)
As far as I know:

- Optical formula is identical in all rebranded versions of the Samyang lens. It is a fisheye, so doesn't really have a well defined focal length. From my measurements, FL is actually close to 8.5 mm at the very center, and then progressively becomes smaller as you move to the edge. Which allows the vendors to choose their "official FL" almost randomly.

- If the price difference is substantial, just get the older version of the lens. If you ever get a FF camera, you can always try a DIY hack (cutting off the hood) - that's what I'll probably do once I upgrade to FF.

- Canon gives smaller FOV with this lens because its sensor is smaller than that of Nikon (1.6 vs 1.5 crop factor). No mechanical adapter can change that.

Great info pulsar123! Took care of everything I was wondering about. Thanks!

Analog - Mamiya RB67 Pro-SD, Canon A-1, Nikon F4S, YashicaMat 124G, Rollei 35S, QL17 GIII, Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex 1st Version, and and entire room full of lenses and other stuff

jimrob714
282 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Joined Feb 2013

Jan 06, 2014 17:52 as a reply to  @ KirkS518's post |  #6

This is the Rokinon version

IMAGE: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3686/11635350794_1ff6265266_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jimrob714/11635​350794/  (external link)
boofisheye-2 (external link) by jimrob714 (external link), on Flickr

Visit my flickr (external link)and Smugmug (external link)

Dawicka2
398 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jan 06, 2014 20:23 |  #7

I have both the rokinon and the peleng. Although the peleng is wider, it flares something horrible. The rokinon is a very forgiving lens. Set it at f8 and a hair off of infinity, and things are sharp and in focus.
Rokinon is also forgiving because it fell off my bike at 25mph on concrete(cheap slr mount from amazon....stupid stupid) onto its face. Snapped part of the hood and rolled. I Glued the hood back on and it works perfectly! I love this lens. Then i wont touch it for months, then i will bring it on vacation and love it again.
Buy the rokinon used. If you hate it, sell it for + or - 7 dollars of what you paid.

Magic lantern'd T2i, a 1d2n, 15-85, rokinon 8 and 85mm, nikon 55 f1.2, sigma 24mm f1.8 and Tokina 400mm creeperPrime.

vengence
Goldmember
2,103 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 06, 2014 20:31 |  #8

jimrob714 wrote in post #16583322 (external link)
This is the Rokinon version
QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jimrob714/11635​350794/  (external link)
boofisheye-2 (external link) by jimrob714 (external link), on Flickr

Damn, the vignetting was worse than I'd heard! :lol:

Seriously though, what was the light mod on this shot?

KirkS518
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 06, 2014 20:42 |  #9

vengence wrote in post #16583842 (external link)
Damn, the vignetting was worse than I'd heard! :lol:

Seriously though, what was the light mod on this shot?

I don't think that's vignetting per se; I think he used the pop-up flash, which will never cover the 180° coverage of the lens. I personally think it's a neat effect that can be done with the fisheyes.

KirkS518
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 06, 2014 20:42 |  #10

Dawicka2 wrote in post #16583826 (external link)
Buy the rokinon used. If you hate it, sell it for + or - 7 dollars of what you paid.

It's very rare that I buy new. Depreciation is against my religion. ;)

jimrob714
282 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Joined Feb 2013

Jan 06, 2014 20:48 as a reply to  @ KirkS518's post |  #11

Haha, you know what...I'm kinda new to this and I was playing with the radial tool in lightroom so that's what you're seeing. Kirk is right though, the flash does give a kind of spotlight effect.

Visit my flickr (external link)and Smugmug (external link)

vengence
Goldmember
2,103 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 06, 2014 20:53 |  #12

KirkS518 wrote in post #16583871 (external link)
I don't think that's vignetting per se; I think he used the pop-up flash, which will never cover the 180° coverage of the lens. I personally think it's a neat effect that can be done with the fisheyes.

The vignetting comment was a joke.... :(

jimrob714 wrote in post #16583895 (external link)
Haha, you know what...I'm kinda new to this and I was playing with the radial tool in lightroom so that's what you're seeing. Kirk is right though, the flash does give a kind of spotlight effect.

Ahh, that makes sense. I was trying to figure out what you could have used to give that perfectly round effect.

KirkS518
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 07, 2014 09:32 |  #13

Picked up a used Rokinon 8mm over on FM. :)

Dawicka2
398 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jan 07, 2014 09:55 |  #14

Nice. :)

Magic lantern'd T2i, a 1d2n, 15-85, rokinon 8 and 85mm, nikon 55 f1.2, sigma 24mm f1.8 and Tokina 400mm creeperPrime.

CanonCameraFan
Goldmember
1,676 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jan 07, 2014 21:08 |  #15

FYI, I got my Made in China New Version (Removable Hood) Opteka for just $210 on Amazon last week. Excellent build quality.I did some quick shots at a concert last weekend and am very impressed! I was amazed, it's going to get some good use. I'd never touched a Fisheye.

http://www.flickr.com …788236605/in/ph​otostream/ (external link)

EOS 7D w/BG-E7 (3), 550EX (3), 430EX II, Vivitar 285HV, Opteka 6.5mm/3.5, Canon EF-S 10-18/4.5-5.6 IS STM, Canon EF-S 24/2.8 STM, Canon EF 40/2.8 STM, Canon EF 100mm/2.0 USM, Canon EF 70-300mm/4-5.6 L IS USM, Canon 77mm 500D Macro, Tamrac 614 Bag & 787 Backpack, Crumpler 8 MDH, 7 MDH, 6 MDH
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/johnebersole/se​ts/ (external link)

sponsored links

2,936 views & 0 likes for this thread
8mm Fisheye Questions
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.