Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 06 Jan 2014 (Monday) 22:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

KENKO TUBE shots showing examples of magnification.

nes_matt
Goldmember
1,022 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jan 06, 2014 22:23 |  #1

Hi all,

I just (as in tonight) got a set of Kenko extension tubes. When I was looking for them I wondered what I should expect out of them: how much magnification would there be? Well, I found some complicated formulas that assumed I knew details of the distances between lens and sensor and other stuff. It was not helpful. I couldn't find a simple reference photo.

So, for the benefit of anyone who might be interested: here is a set of images going from max magnification (all three tubes together) to minimum (shortest tube only) and a reference image with no tubes. All were shot with the Canon 85mm F1.8, at F1.8 using a Canon 6D. All were shot at the minumum focus distance for maximum magnification. The vertical dimension of the image is uncropped as shown.

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7452/11811266384_e5382bf943_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …gphotography/11​811266384/  (external link)
Kenko Tubes with 85mm F1.8 (external link) by MCG Photo (external link), on Flickr

Top left is all tubes together.
Top right is intermediate.
Bottom left is the shortest tube only.
Bottom right is with no extension tubes (shot at F8).

Hope this is useful to someone.

Matt

Canon 6D & Rebel T1i | Tokina 11-16 F2.8 | Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 EX DC Macro | Nifty-Fifty |85mm f1.8 | Canon 24-105 F4 | Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM
Flickr photo stream (external link)
Portfolio (external link)
Facebook Page (external link)

sponsored links
MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,135 posts
Gallery: 1603 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Jan 06, 2014 22:27 |  #2

Heya,

Pretty useful.

I think it would be a lot more useful if you measured your minimum focus distance with each ring, so that the person thinking "Yea that's awesome! I"m getting that!" understands that they might have to be 4 inches away from the target for example. Which doesn't work well, when trying to shoot a bumble bee, or butterfly. Works well on coins and the like. But live critters don't care much for you being 4 inches away.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

nes_matt
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,022 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jan 06, 2014 22:34 |  #3

That's a fair point. I did say "minimum focus distance" but that may not register for everyone. I think the first was only 2" or so away. It would be useful to know the maximum focus distance too.

I'm going to do this with a few other lenses too (70-200f2.8 among others) for my own reference. I will try to remember to record the approximate distance.

Canon 6D & Rebel T1i | Tokina 11-16 F2.8 | Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 EX DC Macro | Nifty-Fifty |85mm f1.8 | Canon 24-105 F4 | Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM
Flickr photo stream (external link)
Portfolio (external link)
Facebook Page (external link)

James ­ P
Goldmember
1,896 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 07, 2014 05:54 |  #4

Thanks for posting this. I'm on the fence about ordering a set of extension tubes.

1Dx - 5DIII - 40D - Canon 24-70LII, 100L macro, 135L, 16-35L, 70-200 f4 and 100-400L lenses

- "Very good" is the enemy of "great." Sometimes we confuse the two.

artyH
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 07, 2014 07:17 |  #5

I tried the Kenkos and got better results with a 35 mm lens than a longer focal length. Younalsomget more magnification for the same amount of extension with the shorter lens. However, I prefer the convenience and results from a true macro lens.

killwilly
866 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 07, 2014 08:15 as a reply to  @ artyH's post |  #6

I always find I get better results with a shorter lens when using tubes. For example, I use M42 manual lenses and the image below of a ball point pen was taken with a Zeiss 50mm and a full set of tubes.

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7236/7179720861_8c2ee87938_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/killwilly/71797​20861/  (external link)
IMG_0516.JPG Zeiss + tubes (external link) by killwilly (external link), on Flickr

Alan. flickr (external link)
---------------
Canon 7D. Canon 15-85 EF-S Lens. Canon 55-250 EF-S Lens. Speedlite 430ex 11.
Canon EOS-M. Canon 18-55 EF-M Lens. Speedlite 90EX.
Sigma APO 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM.

LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
23,344 posts
Gallery: 205 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 07, 2014 08:24 as a reply to  @ killwilly's post |  #7

Good job, Matt. I regularly use extension tubes with my 100mm macro for bug shots, especially since moving from crop to full-frame. One of these days I'll have to post similar examples at minimum focus distance, as someone else suggested.

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Flickr 2 (external link)...
Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

sponsored links

1,897 views & 0 likes for this thread
KENKO TUBE shots showing examples of magnification.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.