Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 30 Dec 2013 (Monday) 21:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Am I nuts? Superzoom for travel???

jefzor
788 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2013

Jan 07, 2014 00:41 |  #76

I never understood superzooms. Doesn't it make more sense to buy a bridge camera? It costs the same, it's smaller, and for daytime outdoor shots, the IQ should be plenty. (indoor and night shots are kinda hopeless with a superzoom on a DSLR anyway)

Personally I'm not really a zoom guy. The more I can zoom, the longer I stand still zooming in and out, and the less good shots I get.

www.jefpauwels.be (external link)

sponsored links
JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,520 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 07, 2014 05:07 |  #77

ed rader wrote in post #16584327 (external link)
you should have strapped a pack on the kid and told him he was playing "Sherpa" :D

They complain too much. ;)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

Sibil
Cream of the Crop
9,048 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 07, 2014 05:43 |  #78

cdifoto wrote in post #16583900 (external link)
I was "that guy" in Disney World when I first got started with good lenses and had way too much enthusiasm. I ended up carrying my nephew on my back and putting my bag in the stroller. He was lighter. :D

Sure I got some good shots but I spent more time deciding which lens to use and **** about how much my back was aching than actually shooting and enjoying my time there. I couldn't wait to get home. I will NEVER do that again. It's either superzoom lens, P&S, or phone.

Been there and done that

Sibil
Cream of the Crop
9,048 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 07, 2014 05:53 |  #79

jefzor wrote in post #16584445 (external link)
I never understood superzooms. Doesn't it make more sense to buy a bridge camera? It costs the same, it's smaller, and for daytime outdoor shots, the IQ should be plenty.

You are right. I used a Lumix FZ50 for awhile, which was great for travel, hiking, and daytime shots. Have many wonderful family travel shots with it. It sucks at any ISO over 100, and for taking pics of kids running around, say, at the beach. DSLR does better.

alliben
304 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 07, 2014 09:38 |  #80

I never understood superzooms. Doesn't it make more sense to buy a bridge camera?

Some of the photos posted here with superzooms look pretty good. You get to take advantage of the DSLR controls and larger sensor you might not have on a bridge camera

boufa
494 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 07, 2014 10:49 |  #81

cdifoto wrote in post #16583900 (external link)
I was "that guy" in Disney World when I first got started with good lenses and had way too much enthusiasm.

Yep.. +1 here. I actually only take the superzoom into Disney. (Except Animal Kingdon, I treat it like a day at the zoo).

I always had little kids with me, so I would sneak extra gear at the bottom of the bag the wife was carrying. (Ultra wide, a few batteries). Then as we started planning our trip the wife says "Maybe now that the kids don't need diapers, etc, it would be nice not to have to carry an extra bag all around the park."... NOOO!!!!!! (was my thought). So superzoom, and a 2 battery grip for me. :cool:

Canon EOS 7D & 40D | Σ 10-20mm Wigma | Σ 150-600mm | Σ 18-250mm Macro | Canon 18-135 STM | Canon 55-250 STM
Gallery/Website/Blog - TowPathPhoto (external link)
Social Media - - - on Flickr (external link) . . . on Twitter (external link)
Creator of @OhioBirdAlert (external link) on Twitter

gabebalazs
Bird Whisperer
7,640 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 07, 2014 12:20 |  #82

I never understood superzooms. Doesn't it make more sense to buy a bridge camera? It costs the same, it's smaller, and for daytime outdoor shots, the IQ should be plenty. (indoor and night shots are kinda hopeless with a superzoom on a DSLR anyway)

Personally I'm not really a zoom guy. The more I can zoom, the longer I stand still zooming in and out, and the less good shots I get.

I am different, I am a "zoom in" type of guy (love wildlife, airplanes, a lot of stuff you need to zoom in for), and the occasion usually presents itself right after I am taking a wide shot :)

To me there is a fairly big difference between a bridge camera and my 70D with a superzoom (Sigma 18-250 OS MACRO) on it. Noise handling, DoF, shutter lag, AF to name a few. And since my video and live view AF is great on the 70D, I'd probably never trade that setup for a bridge camera. Tele shots from bridge camera with long zooms look impressive as long as there is very good light and the target is stationary. Once you are forced to up the shutter speed for a moving target, quite often ISO needs to go up and that often kills the IQ of almost any tiny-sensor camera.

I posted a few shots earlier with a few 100% crops. Sharpness is pretty good from my Sigma. And I've never been a fan of how a P&S or a bridge camera processes the images (simply not as good as a DSLR, especially if you go above the low ISO settings. ISO 800 or 1600 on a bridge camera with a tiny sensor looks unusable for me.)

SONY A7RIII | SONY A7III | SONY RX10 IV | SONY RX100 | 24-70 2.8 GM | 70-200 2.8 GM | 16-35 F/4 | PZ 18-105 F/4 | FE 85 1.8 | FE 28-70 | SIGMA 35 1.4 ART | SIGMA 150-600 C | ROKINON 14 2.8
Gabe Balazs Photo (external link)
Nature Shots Portfolio (external link)

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Jan 07, 2014 14:15 |  #83

As strange as it may seem, there are uncontrolled situations where a wide range of focal lengths are needed from shot to shot and where a so-called "superzoom" lens is the best choice.

An example comes from this cyclocross event, a cross-country race where riders compete on a long closed course. Most people have not attended this photogenic and accessible sport.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1174.photobuck​et.com …1217b0033_zpsb1​33f98c.jpg (external link)

Camera Maker: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS REBEL T2i
Lens: EF-S18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
Image Date: 2011-12-17 12:32:48 (no TZ)
Focal Length: 185.0mm
Aperture: f/5.6
Exposure Time: 0.0040 s (1/250)
ISO equiv: 250
Exposure Bias: +0.33 EV
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: program (Auto)
White Balance: Auto
Flash Fired: No (enforced)
Orientation: Normal
Color Space: sRGB

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1174.photobuck​et.com …1217b0118_zpsb1​989f7b.jpg (external link)

Camera Maker: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS REBEL T2i
Lens: EF-S18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
Image Date: 2011-12-17 13:12:32 (no TZ)
Focal Length: 18.0mm
Aperture: f/3.5
Exposure Time: 0.0013 s (1/800)
ISO equiv: 500
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: shutter priority (semi-auto)
White Balance: Auto
Flash Fired: No (enforced)
Orientation: Normal
Color Space: sRGB

Cyclocross is typically a late autumn sport when rain and snow are not unknown. This race was held in light rain and saw the grass course rapidly beaten into mud. The course was laid out so that a photographer could get close to riders, which meant a wide-angle lens was useful. However, a telephoto lens was good for isolated images of riders which showed the intensity of their exertion.

The combination of the rain and mud meant that sensor contamination was likely if a lens swap was performed. So to keep covering this event with the single camera body that was available, and not needing to hike the quarter-mile back to the car to swap lenses in a dry and clean place, it was best to put a Canon 18-200mm IS lens on the camera and use it for images that called for both extremes of field of view. This very real-world case, where the event controls the photographer, is one of many examples where a single-lens approach works best.

There's also a question of whether you want to carry two lenses and maybe camera bodies into the the woods and haul them up and down damp hills.

Joe ­ Ravenstein
Goldmember
2,338 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 07, 2014 14:32 |  #84

I bought a Sigma 18mm-250mm lens primarily for tourist trips so I can hopefully use just the one lens.

Canon 60D,18-55mm,55-250mm,50mm compact macro, AF ext tubes. Sigma 8-16mm uwa, 18-250mm, 85mm F1.4, 150-500mm

alliben
304 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 07, 2014 21:21 |  #85

Sounds like a new improved super-zoom is coming.

http://www.dpreview.co​m …edium=text&ref=​title_0_13 (external link)

markeb
THREAD ­ STARTER
145 posts
Joined May 2010

Jan 07, 2014 22:05 |  #86

alliben wrote in post #16586972 (external link)
Sounds like a new improved super-zoom is coming.

http://www.dpreview.co​m …edium=text&ref=​title_0_13 (external link)

Hmmm...

Even though the price of the 18-250 has bounced back up, this could explain the end of the year price drop!

T2i 18-55 IS, 55-250 IS, Sigma 30 mm f/1.4, Canon 60 mm f/2.8 Macro, Canon 15-85 IS USM, Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 EX HSM OS, 430EX II S95 G7X

cicopo
Goldmember
3,465 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Jan 07, 2014 22:18 |  #87

Obviously there's a market for superzooms or they'd just keep selling the current one. Whether those who refuse to recognize there is a viable market for what was once considered too much of a compromise or not, many new buyers of DSLR's want versatility. It's only a very small part of the current market that expects razor sharp images all of the time even without understanding how to use their expensive camera properly. Consumer grade superzooms fill a very big area of the future market where people want the most for the least, whether talking price or convenience.

A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought.

boufa
494 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 08, 2014 07:49 as a reply to  @ cicopo's post |  #88

At the risk of sounding rude... and I am not trying to insult anyone. What I take from many of these conversations is much like armchair after the fact quarterbacking.

Some say "I would have used _____ lens instead" Its an interesting opinion and I grant that there may be something to be learned from that. However, the decision process leading up to lens choice, and often times the speed necessary to make that lens choice forces us in one direction or another.

Hind sight is always 20/20, and looking at a shot on how I would have done it differently, doesn't take into account the ability to see the shot coming. Once again, it goes to motive and target. If you are shooting landscapes at sunrise, you can easily plan it out, and execute. If you are shooting a bike race, or wildlife, or vacation, etc, the highly variable opportunities require highly variable equipment.

Photography is turning compromise into art. Even those who refuse to compromise, are actually compromising, there is cost, weight, convenience, speed, adaptability.

Canon EOS 7D & 40D | Σ 10-20mm Wigma | Σ 150-600mm | Σ 18-250mm Macro | Canon 18-135 STM | Canon 55-250 STM
Gallery/Website/Blog - TowPathPhoto (external link)
Social Media - - - on Flickr (external link) . . . on Twitter (external link)
Creator of @OhioBirdAlert (external link) on Twitter

sponsored links

9,674 views & 0 likes for this thread
Am I nuts? Superzoom for travel???
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.