Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 23 Dec 2013 (Monday) 22:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

So I cannot do anything about this plagiarism case?

Landcruiser
168 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jan 06, 2014 13:59 |  #31

We should all sue each other over "intent". That's the answer. Oh, and by the way, how many of those Yosemtie calendars do you need for this year?

http://www.calendars.c​om …N6w1duq6rsCFWRk​7AodYi8AUw (external link)

sponsored links
Phil ­ V
Goldmember
1,977 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jan 06, 2014 16:10 |  #32

Landcruiser wrote in post #16582698 (external link)
We should all sue each other over "intent". That's the answer. Oh, and by the way, how many of those Yosemtie calendars do you need for this year?

http://www.calendars.c​om …N6w1duq6rsCFWRk​7AodYi8AUw (external link)

So I show you a link to a legal precedent and you take the piss and link to completely irrelevant calendars (I'd have expected someone on a photography forum to understand what an Ansel Adams photo of Yosemite looked like ;))

Are you 15?

Gear List
website: South Yorkshire Wedding photographer in Doncaster (external link)
Twitter (external link)Facebook (external link)

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,387 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Jan 06, 2014 17:55 |  #33

Landcruiser wrote in post #16582698 (external link)
We should all sue each other over "intent". That's the answer.

That would be pretty stupid - you have to convince the judge that there was actual intent. If you bothered to read up on the case Phil linked to you would see he is correct (and that it is the same situation that the OP is in).

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

northpointphoto
754 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Jan 07, 2014 10:16 |  #34

I've got an idea that nobody here is going to like but here goes.....

Get over it

You can go and spout off legal precedents that are viable in the UK all day long but the bottom line is Pakistan is not the UK. Also, I might be mistaken but the OP is located in Singapore so even US laws that people are stating won't apply either.

To the OP:
How much time have you lost worrying about something that in the big picture is a non issue that the only way to get resolved would be to spend massive amounts of money on lawyers that in the end probably wont do one bit of good. All that time you wasted could have gone to creating more images that you could potentially sell to other clients.

To everyone else saying that this kind of behavior is ruining the business:

Really? Someone sees an image and thinks "I like that, I think Im going to try that" is ruining photography? I bet the majority of the people on here have seen an image before and tried doing something similar. Now you could say that the two photos the OP posted were practically identical (which I wont argue) but who cares?

You want to know how to solve this problem? Be the one shooting the images that are higher quality, more stunning, more emotionally charged, than everyone else so clients want to buy your images because they know they wont get that quality anywhere else.

Russell
Russell Tracy Photography (external link) |LIGHTING SETUPS AND DIAGRAMS
Think Tank Photo Affiliate (external link) | Sports Shooter Profile (external link)

Landcruiser
168 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jan 07, 2014 10:34 |  #35

Phil V wrote in post #16583033 (external link)
So I show you a link to a legal precedent and you take the piss and link to completely irrelevant calendars (I'd have expected someone on a photography forum to understand what an Ansel Adams photo of Yosemite looked like ;))

Are you 15?

You showed me a completely irrelevant link to a legal precedent that will never have any impact on anything I will ever do in my life. I live in Texas.

Are you 12?

Phil ­ V
Goldmember
1,977 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jan 07, 2014 11:16 |  #36

Landcruiser wrote in post #16585299 (external link)
You showed me a completely irrelevant link to a legal precedent that will never have any impact on anything I will ever do in my life. I live in Texas.

Are you 12?

There you go. It might not have any relevance to your life, but it's highly relevant to the OP's question. I thought that was the point of the thread :confused:.

So if I'm completely wrong, where does it's relevance to you come into play:rolleyes:?

Gear List

northpointphoto
754 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jan 07, 2014 11:32 |  #37

Phil V wrote in post #16585408 (external link)
There you go. It might not have any relevance to your life, but it's highly relevant to the OP's question. I thought that was the point of the thread :confused:.

So if I'm completely wrong, where does it's relevance to you come into play:rolleyes:?

It would be highly relevant if the OP lived in the UK but the OP has his location listed as Singapore. So unless you have links to legal precedents relating to copyright law in Singapore or Pakistan pretty much everything is irrelevant and just an interesting read.

Russell
Think Tank Photo Affiliate (external link) | Sports Shooter Profile (external link)

Phil ­ V
Goldmember
1,977 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jan 07, 2014 16:20 |  #38

northpointphoto wrote in post #16585440 (external link)
It would be highly relevant if the OP lived in the UK but the OP has his location listed as Singapore. So unless you have links to legal precedents relating to copyright law in Singapore or Pakistan pretty much everything is irrelevant and just an interesting read.

We'll if only Singapore had a similar legal system to the UK;)

Maybe as it was part of the UK until 1963 and it's not like copyright law is close to international or anything like that, oh wait, yeah the Berne convention, I appreciate that you backwards Yank folks haven't really grasped that one properly. So maybe there is some relevance to the court case.

However, you're right to agree with me that the OP has virtually no chance of getting anything from someone in Pakistan. So we do agree about one thing, it seems stupid I should have to point that put as you obviously realised.

Gear List

northpointphoto
754 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jan 07, 2014 20:27 |  #39

Phil V wrote in post #16586247 (external link)
We'll if only Singapore had a similar legal system to the UK;)

Maybe as it was part of the UK until 1963 and it's not like copyright law is close to international or anything like that, oh wait, yeah the Berne convention, I appreciate that you backwards Yank folks haven't really grasped that one properly. So maybe there is some relevance to the court case.

However, you're right to agree with me that the OP has virtually no chance of getting anything from someone in Pakistan. So we do agree about one thing, it seems stupid I should have to point that put as you obviously realised.

I happen to be familiar with the Berne Convention (I've had work published internationally) but Im unfamiliar with the article(s) regarding ideas, concepts, recreations, or anything of the sort. (Heres the full text if you would like to reference http://www.wipo.int …/berne/trtdocs_​wo001.html (external link))

And since you wanted to quote legal precedences, this is from the "Intellectual Property Office of Singapore"
http://www.ipos.gov.sg …erty/Whatiscopy​right.aspx (external link)

What is protected by copyright?

Copyright protects the expression of ideas (e.g. words and illustrations). Ideas alone are not protected.

The following may be protected under copyright law:

Literary works (e.g., written works, source codes of computer programs)
Dramatic works (e.g.,. scripts for films and dramas)
Musical works (e.g., melodies)
Artistic works (e.g., paintings, photographs)
Published editions of the above works
Sound recordings
Films
Television and radio broadcasts
Cable programmes
Performances
What is not protected by copyright?

Subject matter not protected by copyright include:

Ideas or concepts
Discoveries
Procedures
Methods
Works or other subject matter that have not be made in a tangible form in a recording or writing
Subject matter that is not of original authorship

Russell

Phil ­ V
Goldmember
1,977 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jan 08, 2014 00:19 |  #40

northpointphoto wrote in post #16586841 (external link)
I happen to be familiar with the Berne Convention (I've had work published internationally) but Im unfamiliar with the article(s) regarding ideas, concepts, recreations, or anything of the sort. (Heres the full text if you would like to reference http://www.wipo.int …/berne/trtdocs_​wo001.html (external link))

And since you wanted to quote legal precedences, this is from the "Intellectual Property Office of Singapore"
http://www.ipos.gov.sg …erty/Whatiscopy​right.aspx (external link)

I'm not even bothering to look, but I'll bet the IPO guide from Singapore is almost identical to the UK one. So back to the court case, it had very little to do with the copying of the idea, and everything to do with the fact that the point of the image was to simply deprive the original photographer of payment.

Gear List

PhotoMatte
Goldmember
1,707 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 08, 2014 11:17 |  #41

northpointphoto wrote in post #16585269 (external link)
To everyone else saying that this kind of behavior is ruining the business:

Really? Someone sees an image and thinks "I like that, I think Im going to try that" is ruining photography? I bet the majority of the people on here have seen an image before and tried doing something similar. Now you could say that the two photos the OP posted were practically identical (which I wont argue) but who cares?

On another tangent, I've had a few brides email me a bunch of images they found on Pinterest and wanted me to reproduce those images for their own weddings. This has always left me feeling a little annoyed:

a) those images belong to other photographers
b) the idea of replicating someone else's work isn't even that feasible (the post from the OP being an exception)-- all the Pinterest images brides email me are shot in completely different venues, different dresses, different seasons, different sized people, etc.

Whenever this has happened I always reply that the images they receive from me will be similar to what they saw when they hired me, and that copying images really isn't ideal (listing the reasons above).

the site (external link)
the blog (external link)
Smugmug (external link)
My gear: Canon, Macintosh, Adobe

rivas8409
Goldmember
2,459 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 08, 2014 13:33 |  #42

So if I go up to Yosemite and take a black and white photo of Half Dome from Galcier Point I'm guilty of infringement? Oh boy! How many of us are guilty of this? :roll: Oh, and remind me not to take a photo of anyone sitting on the beach looking out towards the water. I don't want to get caught up in this S#%@. I guess my soon-to-arive 5DII will have to stay in the box until I come up with a completely original idea not inspired by any photo I've ever seen and a location that has never been photographed before. Is there an archive of every photo every taken somewhere in a super secure basement/bunker that I can bounce my photographic ideas off of?

I'd have to agree with Russell (northpointphoto) above....just get over it. It will undoubably cost you too much to try and prove any intent. That's even if "intent" works in Pakistan's legal system as it does to us here in the U.S. or over in the U.K.

Body: Canon 5DmkII│50D
Glass: Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8│Canon 85mm f/1.8│Canon 24-105mm f/4L│Canon 135mm f/2L
Lights: Flashpoint XPLOR 400PRO│Flashpoint Streaklight 360│Flashpoint Zoom Li-on│AB800
Results: WEBSITE (external link)FACEBOOK (external link)

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 08, 2014 17:40 |  #43

PhotoMatte wrote in post #16588208 (external link)
On another tangent, I've had a few brides email me a bunch of images they found on Pinterest and wanted me to reproduce those images for their own weddings. This has always left me feeling a little annoyed:

a) those images belong to other photographers
b) the idea of replicating someone else's work isn't even that feasible (the post from the OP being an exception)-- all the Pinterest images brides email me are shot in completely different venues, different dresses, different seasons, different sized people, etc.

Whenever this has happened I always reply that the images they receive from me will be similar to what they saw when they hired me, and that copying images really isn't ideal (listing the reasons above).

I had a bride who after hiring me contacted me to ask if I would copy another photographer's style/processing. I said no and I suggested they find someone else. They did. So I updated the FAQ on my website afterwards

"WE'VE SEEN ANOTHER PHOTOGRAPHER'S STYLE WE LIKE, WILL YOU COPY IT?

I have one style and that is my own. If you want another photographer's work you really ought to hire them."

My about page includes this too

"When you hire me to shoot your wedding you get the whole package that is "me". What you are not hiring is someone who will copy someone else's style nor mimic other photographer's photographs or processing."

I'd sooner not have those types of brides as clients as Pinterest Brides often have the most unrealistic expectations.

Peter

sponsored links

6,549 views & 0 likes for this thread
So I cannot do anything about this plagiarism case?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.