Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 28 Dec 2013 (Saturday) 17:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lens and camera profiles - Camera RAW

callumbrae
404 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Dec 28, 2013 17:44 |  #1

I use a Canon 5D Mk III with a canon MP-E 65 mm Lens, and process images first in Camera RAW 8.3 and then Photoshop CS6.
Does anyone know how I can find and download camera and lens profiles into my post processing programmes for the camera and lens I use. The software I bought seems to have preceded the hardware.
Any information will be most helpful.

callumbrae
Canon 5D MkIII, 7D, 30V; 35mm f2, 50mm f1.4, 200mm f2/8, 300mm f2.8 + x2 extender, 100 mm f2.8 macro, MP-E 65mm macro; 320EX speedlite, MT24EX twinlite; monopod, tripod.

sponsored links
Rimmer
Goldmember
1,416 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 28, 2013 20:46 |  #2

Do a search for "Adobe lens profile creator" and "Adobe lens profile downloader". Probably the first hit on each search will be what you want. The creator takes a bit of work to understand and use. You might get lucky and find exactly what you need with the downloader.

Ace Rimmer -- "What a guy!"
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast." ;)

callumbrae
THREAD ­ STARTER
404 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Dec 28, 2013 23:12 as a reply to  @ Rimmer's post |  #3

Thanks for this Rimmer. I have downloaded and looked through the two documents and installed the downloader. From the information given, they have only matched the 5D MkIII with three lenses, none of which I use. The MP-E 65 mm doesn't get a mention anywhere.
If I were to go through the rigmarole involved in creating my own profile, I would be too old to go on taking photos by the time I had finished it. This hobby is meant to be fun, so I have decided to live with whatever small flaws might be present in the system.:(

callumbrae
Canon 5D MkIII, 7D, 30V; 35mm f2, 50mm f1.4, 200mm f2/8, 300mm f2.8 + x2 extender, 100 mm f2.8 macro, MP-E 65mm macro; 320EX speedlite, MT24EX twinlite; monopod, tripod.

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,478 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Dec 29, 2013 05:12 |  #4

they have only matched the 5D MkIII with three lenses, none of which I use. The MP-E 65 mm doesn't get a mention anywhere.

Included with ACR 8.3 are 80 lens profiles for the 5D3, but, alas, you are right; the MP-E 65 mm isn't one of them. Perhaps its extreme macro range would require different corrections at different image sizes, more profiling than Adobe or anyone else is willing to do. (I feel that the profile for my 100 mm IS is better at 0.5:1 than at 1:1, but I rarely use it because flowers don't have straight lines.) Or perhaps they feel that too few units are in use and it got passed over. Are you using it as a copy lens for graphic subjects such as stamps?

Elie / אלי

Rimmer
Goldmember
1,416 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 29, 2013 08:03 |  #5

callumbrae wrote in post #16560895 (external link)
Thanks for this Rimmer....
If I were to go through the rigmarole involved in creating my own profile, I would be too old to go on taking photos by the time I had finished it. This hobby is meant to be fun, so I have decided to live with whatever small flaws might be present in the system.:(

Once you get into the process it really isn't as bad as it appears -- it's one of those things that is easier to do than to describe, I think. A fixed focal length lens should be a lot easier to do than a zoom. I did my Zeiss 16-80 at 16, 50, and 80 mm, all at f/8, and I did a kit lens at 18, 35, and 55mm all at f/11, and those profiles work quite well (at least to my eye). On the other hand, I think my Sigma 8-16 would be a real pain to do; fortunately Adobe already has that one included.

I just downloaded one of the grids, taped it up on the wall in an area of fairly even light, put the camera on a tripod, and started shooting. One lesson I learned: If you shoot your test images as JPGs, the created profile won't work for RAWs and vice-versa. For some stupid reason I did the process with JPGs at first but the results were of no use to me since I don't shoot JPGs normally. :oops:

Ace Rimmer -- "What a guy!"
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast." ;)

callumbrae
THREAD ­ STARTER
404 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Dec 29, 2013 13:49 as a reply to  @ Rimmer's post |  #6

Thank you again, Rimmer and Elie.
I use my macro lenses for nature subjects, e.g. insects and flowers. Lot of work ahead, getting Manfrotto's rail modified a bit to enable micro advancements without wobble and just learning about exposure, diffusion and everything that is still pretty basic. In reality, I think minute distortions due to the lens would be lost in all the other mistakes I make.
But thank you both again, and have a very photographic 2014.

callumbrae

Shooting
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 04, 2014 17:42 |  #7

callumbrae wrote in post #16560332 (external link)
I use a Canon 5D Mk III with a canon MP-E 65 mm Lens, and process images first in Camera RAW 8.3 and then Photoshop CS6.
Does anyone know how I can find and download camera and lens profiles into my post processing programmes for the camera and lens I use. The software I bought seems to have preceded the hardware.
Any information will be most helpful.

What is the link to download ACR 8.3? All I can find is DNG Converter 8.3. Since auto updating doesn't work, I need to download it separately. Thanks.

callumbrae
THREAD ­ STARTER
404 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 04, 2014 19:12 as a reply to  @ Shooting's post |  #8

"What is the link to download ACR 8.3? All I can find is DNG Converter 8.3." To be perfectly honest, I don't know how I came by it. Either my computer did it for me, or I have just forgotten. I have a program called "Driver Manager", maybe it did the job.

However, try this site:

http://www.softexia.co​m …s-tools/adobe-camera-raw/ (external link)

page down to this section and you have these links:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

CR8_3 (external link) by callumbrae (external link), on Flickr

callumbrae

Shooting
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 07, 2014 14:07 |  #9

Ok thanks. I also found someone asked that same question in the Adobe blog and a link to download raw separately was provided.

sponsored links

2,372 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lens and camera profiles - Camera RAW
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.