Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 06 Jan 2014 (Monday) 11:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How is this photographer lighting her images for such a clean look...(example)

starlights
661 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 06, 2014 11:43 |  #1

I have been looking at Pinkletoes blog (Michele Anderson) and love the clean and uniform lighting she achieves, specially with family shoots (where the subjects are not trained models)

Though she seems to rely a lot on ambient light, I am sure in a lot of her shots she is mixing flash as well - and she manages to get such even and clean exposures specially on the people - I have seen many photographers here achieve such similar look - anyone care to share their opinions on the lighting?

Indoor images (external link)

Outdoor Images (external link)

sponsored links
Gareth ­ O'Neill
42 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Jan 06, 2014 12:33 |  #2

It just looks like natural cloudy day light to me.

I'm sure there was also a bit of post done, but nothing major.

kidsphotos.co.nz (external link)

tiler65
398 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 06, 2014 12:41 |  #3

I would suggest quite a bit of PP work - especially their eyes as this looks overcooked to me.

They are striking but not so naturale!

www.tomastleyphotograp​hy.co.uk (external link)
My Blog (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 06, 2014 12:43 |  #4

You can do the same thing if you completely disregard your highlights. It's pretty common actually.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

JakAHearts
Cream of the Crop
6,739 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 06, 2014 13:10 |  #5

cdifoto wrote in post #16582505 (external link)
You can do the same thing if you completely disregard your highlights. It's pretty common actually.

:lol: I was thinking nearly his exact thing. Ive been trying to ignore my highlights lately myself.

Shane
flickr (external link)

dbeugel
523 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jan 06, 2014 16:58 |  #6

I'd say before any of the lighting and editing the most striking things are the composition and smart clothes the family are wearing coupled with some very clever use of background locations and colours to make that kind of lighting and editing work in the first place.

I own a DSLR, some lenses and some lights.

thedcmule2
Goldmember
1,125 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 06, 2014 21:37 |  #7

Giant windows...

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,083 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 06, 2014 23:27 |  #8

Overcast sky, large windows, lots of shadow slider in Lightroom. :-)
And maybe a big shoot through umbrellas for some of the head shots.

And ambient exposure is always 0 or a little plus EC and fill is within a stop as well.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

PhilF
Cream of the Crop
5,737 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 07, 2014 00:56 |  #9

white walls, white furnitures, and a lot of big opening ... windows, sliding doors, etc

you can actually get this pics even using the aperture mode and even P mode

http://philfernandezph​otography.com (external link)
http://www.philfashion​photography.com (external link)
https://www.instagram.​com/philfernimagery/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/philfphotography (external link)

starlights
THREAD ­ STARTER
661 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 07, 2014 08:59 |  #10

Thanks for your responses, guys. Either she chooses her location very carefully for even lighting or she uses a speedlight to lower the highlight:shadow ration, but either way, I love her work. I think she charges pretty heavily for her images and the clients pay happily.

The ­ Loft ­ Studios
Goldmember
1,072 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 07, 2014 12:28 as a reply to  @ starlights's post |  #11

::Indoor::
Big open windows with north light or overcast day with perhaps some flash fill and good natural post processing…..
::Outdoor::
Overcast skies with great fill and good lens selection along with good natural post processing.

If you look thru her blog, you will notice a lot of her work is VERY consistent. I would bet that this is due to her knowing her limits to natural light. Most so call "Natural Light" photographers are re-active to a lighting situation -vs- being pro-active. Notice that you picked ALL images that were shot on overcast days and most of her work "that she shows" were shot on overcast days. There are virtually no images shown on bright sunny days unless it's at dusk or once the sun has already gone down. So does she know ahead of time (weeks or days) what days will be sunny and what days will be overcast? Of course she doesn't, but what she does do is ONLY SHOW you her best work which just happens to be on overcast days. So, not only does she know how to control her lighting (on overcast days) but she tops that off with proper natural post processing as well as only knowing to show her best work that she has shot, not every work that she shoots…..

MARK

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 07, 2014 13:20 |  #12

The Loft Studios wrote in post #16585577 (external link)
::Indoor::
Big open windows with north light or overcast day with perhaps some flash fill and good natural post processing…..
::Outdoor::
Overcast skies with great fill and good lens selection along with good natural post processing.

If you look thru her blog, you will notice a lot of her work is VERY consistent. I would bet that this is due to her knowing her limits to natural light. Most so call "Natural Light" photographers are re-active to a lighting situation -vs- being pro-active. Notice that you picked ALL images that were shot on overcast days and most of her work "that she shows" were shot on overcast days. There are virtually no images shown on bright sunny days unless it's at dusk or once the sun has already gone down. So does she know ahead of time (weeks or days) what days will be sunny and what days will be overcast? Of course she doesn't, but what she does do is ONLY SHOW you her best work which just happens to be on overcast days. So, not only does she know how to control her lighting (on overcast days) but she tops that off with proper natural post processing as well as only knowing to show her best work that she has shot, not every work that she shoots…..

Flip side being that prospective clients don't get to see how she handles the sun.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

The ­ Loft ­ Studios
Goldmember
1,072 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 07, 2014 13:46 as a reply to  @ cdifoto's post |  #13

Very true.....

MARK

Shooting
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 07, 2014 14:19 |  #14

If you check out the street pavement around the little girls' feet where she is out in the street and her hair looks like she was jumping up and down, you can almost see where the street was burned in but around her feet all is white, no burning. At least that is my take on it.

PhilF
Cream of the Crop
5,737 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 07, 2014 23:32 |  #15

who are we kidding? ....... It's the Nikon camera she is using that makes her take bomb pictures.

http://philfernandezph​otography.com (external link)
http://www.philfashion​photography.com (external link)
https://www.instagram.​com/philfernimagery/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/philfphotography (external link)

sponsored links

5,056 views & 0 likes for this thread
How is this photographer lighting her images for such a clean look...(example)
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.