Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 07 Jan 2014 (Tuesday) 08:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Not Happy With SterlingTek Batteries

Hoosier ­ Writer
102 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 07, 2014 08:51 |  #1

I have seen a great deal of good reviews on SterlingTek batteries so when I decided to buy more batteries they seemed a no-brainer. However, I always question reviews of new gear that hasn't been through the mill and now I have been vindicated. Two years ago I purchased two SterlingTek batteries for my Rebel, which my daughter took to college last year for photography classes. She complained that the batteries would not hold a charge. I assumed she wasn't doing something right.
Not long after I bought the batteries for the Rebel, I bought two SterlingTek BP-511A style batteries for my 40D. They worked great until I went to use them a month ago on a trip. Neither would take a charge! Luckily the original Canon battery that came new with the 40D still worked fine and held a charge.
I don't use my gear all the time but I did expect the batteries to last as long as the old Canon brand battery. Perhaps not using them shortened the life but then why is the even older Canon battery still chugging along?
I guess I will pony up the cash to get a real McCoy next time.

sponsored links
iazybandit
Goldmember
2,106 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 07, 2014 09:06 |  #2

Could be a defect? There's times where I don't touch my camera and it still held its charge and didn't drain completely.

If its defective within the year, SterlingTek will replace it without question.

Canon :: 5D Mark IV | EOS M5
Glass/Gear :: Canon 24-70L II | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF-M 22mm | EF-M 11-22
FULL GEAR LIST | FEEDBACK
FS: Varavon Monopod and Camtrol Prime Stabilizer | Tolifo LED Light, Luxi for All Light Meter

SYS
Cream of the Crop
9,156 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2004

Jan 07, 2014 09:13 |  #3

Give Wasabi a try. These are made in China but premium cells are from Japan.

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

v35skyline
Goldmember
3,572 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 07, 2014 09:42 |  #4

I'm a big fan of both STK and Wasabi batteries. Neither have failed me, and I have over a dozen of each (for various cameras).

X100s | X-Pro1 | X-T1 | XF 14 | XF 18 | XF 35 | XF 56 | XF 60 | XF 10-24
Gear List & Feedback

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,257 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 07, 2014 10:42 |  #5

They may have gotten some bad batches. I also bought a pair of BP-511As from SterlingTek around that time and just before they hit a year old, they stopped holding a charge. They replaced them without any hassle and the replacements were still working when I sold them with the camera at least 18 months later.

atexasphotog
Goldmember
1,312 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Jan 07, 2014 10:54 |  #6

I have not had a problem with my STK batteries FWIW

Canon 6D,T3i, Powershot G16| 50mm 1.8II|100-400mm F4.5-5.6L|24-105 IS F/4 L||16-35mm F/2.8 vIIL|lCanon 1.4x mkII TC|580 EXII |Keeping it all in a KATA Backpack
http://texasphotog.dev​iantart.com/ (external link)

Hoosier ­ Writer
THREAD ­ STARTER
102 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 07, 2014 11:27 |  #7

1KIND wrote in post #16585086 (external link)
Could be a defect? There's times where I don't touch my camera and it still held its charge and didn't drain completely.

I doubt it. The batteries for my Rebel and 40D are different and were bought several months apart.

Trout ­ Bum
459 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Jan 07, 2014 20:43 as a reply to  @ Hoosier Writer's post |  #8

I bought a handful (LP-E6) of SterlingTeks for a once-in-a-lifetime trip. One did not work at all, out of the box, the rest were fine and performed adequately. Not long after, they would not hold a charge, although they registered 100% in the camera menu.

Unfortunately, as you would find by researching similar threads here, there is no consensus on battery brands. People will call you an idiot for paying for Canon batteries and say they do not perform as well as $10 ones from China, and others will relate tales like yours (and mine). It seems some third party brands will perform adequately for the cost, but may not last as long as originals. The next poster will prove me wrong, so whatever you decide will be the correct choice! :D

Mark
My photography website (external link)
My fine art website (external link)
My youtube channel (external link)
Instagram: @MarkMilleArt

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,647 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jan 07, 2014 20:53 |  #9

Some chargers will report completely empty batteries as bad, and won't charge them. There is a trick to resuscitating them, and that involves running a direct battery charge (like 9-12v) across the cell to ramp up the voltage enough to get the chargers to recognize and charge them. I wonder if that is what happened here.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
7,286 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 07, 2014 21:08 |  #10

My SterlingTeks worked great with my 7D but wouldn't register with the 6D. After tried them in the 6D they wouldn't charge. The charger just kept flashing orange very quickly. I read that when they do that to remove the battery from the charger for a few seconds and try it again. Repeat for a few times if it doesn't work right away. I did and after a try or two they both charged fine. They've been fine since, but I only use them in the 7D now.

Mark J.
Gear

dFreezy
464 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 08, 2014 09:33 |  #11

In my past experience with Sterlingtek BP511's, I would have to mount and dismount them a few times in the charger before they actually started charging (they would initially tell the charger they were full). This was especially the case if the charger was already plugged into the wall before I put in the battery. Didn't seem to happen as frequently if I put them in the charger before plugging it into the wall. Definitely odd behavior, but they 4 out of the 5 I owned held charges just fine for several years.

Sony: A7R2, 16-35/4, 24-70/4, 55/1.8, 85/1.8
Canon: 135/2L 80-200/2.8L, 100-400L mkI

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,827 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Jan 08, 2014 12:13 |  #12

I've had better luck with my Sterlingtek batteries for both my G12 and my 60D than I did with the originals.

My 60D OEM battery is already showing 2 bars after a recharge while the Sterlingtek batteries are all showing the max. This could just be dumb luck but I've been very happy with the Sterlingteks.

As has been suggested, people's experiences have been all over the map when it comes to batteries, both Canon and other brands. If I hadn't seen such rapid degradation of my Canon batteries, I may have continued to purchase them.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

sponsored links

1,730 views & 0 likes for this thread
Not Happy With SterlingTek Batteries
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.