Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk 
Thread started 03 Jan 2014 (Friday) 19:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

how so clear photo with all the Co2

waynesplash
79 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 03, 2014 19:25 |  #1

Hi there,

I was wondering with all the Gases up in the Sky, how come I can get so good of a clear photo of the Moon, I thought with all the 1000000s of Ton of all different Gases up there, it would be like Heat Haze from say a CAR, or on a hazing Day when you cant get a shot.

Wayne

sponsored links
hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 04, 2014 06:37 |  #2

Do a Google on what makes stars twinkle.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

Nighthound
Cream of the Crop
11,675 posts
Gallery: 226 photos
Best ofs: 24
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 05, 2014 12:25 |  #3

The quality of the shot will vary depending on the elevation of the moon as well as atmospheric stability. Radiational cooling and winds aloft are just a couple of issues that will affect image quality. Low elevation shots suffer from atmospheric distortion due to density of thousands of miles of the aforementioned problems. Think of this as a sheet of glass. Look straight through the sheet and it's clear, turn the sheet on its edge and the mass/density of the sheet impairs visibility. The more atmosphere you're looking through, the more negative visibility issues are compiled in your field of view. My best lunar shots were all taken with the moon at or above 45 degrees up. In the warmer months it helps to shoot well after dark to allow the radiational cooling to subside. There are nights that even the ideal time or elevation won't help, sometimes the seeing conditions just don't improve to acceptable. There are some nights when clarity comes and goes and you can get lucky with repeated exposures.

Steve
Canon Gear: 1D Mark IV | 1D Mark II | 5D | 20D | 500L IS (f/4) | 100-400L
SteveEllwoodPhotograph​y.com (external link)

grayline
247 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Jan 08, 2014 09:31 |  #4

hollis_f wrote in post #16576530 (external link)

Ha ! I see we somewhat share a field. I have a degree in metroligy !
I measured stuff and matter and you measured light and the effects.
I specialized in metalurgy content and the ageing of metals under sunlight and time

Gear List :EOS 70D ,Sigma 50mm 1.4,Tamron 18-270, Canon 18-55,Canon HFM31,Canon SX280HS,Olympus E-10 ,

waynesplash
THREAD ­ STARTER
79 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 12, 2014 17:51 |  #5

hollis_f wrote in post #16576530 (external link)

Yes I get that, but still with all those Gases in the Sky, or are there really that much; I don't think so, as how can I get a crystal clear photo of the Moon.

Wayne

waynesplash
THREAD ­ STARTER
79 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 12, 2014 17:54 |  #6

Nighthound wrote in post #16579683 (external link)
The quality of the shot will vary depending on the elevation of the moon as well as atmospheric stability. Radiational cooling and winds aloft are just a couple of issues that will affect image quality. Low elevation shots suffer from atmospheric distortion due to density of thousands of miles of the aforementioned problems. Think of this as a sheet of glass. Look straight through the sheet and it's clear, turn the sheet on its edge and the mass/density of the sheet impairs visibility. The more atmosphere you're looking through, the more negative visibility issues are compiled in your field of view. My best lunar shots were all taken with the moon at or above 45 degrees up. In the warmer months it helps to shoot well after dark to allow the radiational cooling to subside. There are nights that even the ideal time or elevation won't help, sometimes the seeing conditions just don't improve to acceptable. There are some nights when clarity comes and goes and you can get lucky with repeated exposures.

Ok thank you. Just gets to me when there is supposed to be so much up there, why cant we see it in shots and why does not shots get distorted, like they would with heat haze. Maybe there is not that much Human stuff up there after all, or all the stuff that's goes up get dissntergrated some how.

Wayne

SteveInNZ
Goldmember
1,420 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 12, 2014 18:12 |  #7

The gases you are looking through are transparent. That includes CO2 which is only 0.04% of the atmosphere. The majority of the atmosphere is Nitrogen, then Oxygen, etc which are all also clear.
It's just like looking through glass. It's not until the atmosphere starts to move that you get distortions that blur your image.
Of course, that doesn't include clouds which are formed when someone buys a new part for their telescope.

Steve.

"Treat every photon with respect" - David Malin.

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 12, 2014 18:32 |  #8

waynesplash wrote in post #16600173 (external link)
Ok thank you. Just gets to me when there is supposed to be so much up there, why cant we see it in shots and why does not shots get distorted, like they would with heat haze. Maybe there is not that much Human stuff up there after all, or all the stuff that's goes up get dissntergrated some how.

Wayne

Well, yeah, there isn't that much human crap in the atmosphere, once you clear the initial layer of pollution that hangs around down low.

You talk about "all the CO2" as if the atmosphere is full of the stuff, it just isn't. The proportions of the gases that make up the atmosphere have changed significantly over billions of years, but little has changed since man started to walk the earth. Whilst it is true that we are releasing millions of tons of CO2 into the atmosphere, it is still a very small drop in a very large ocean, so to speak.

Our atmosphere is only about 0.035% CO2 (thats about 1 part in 3000) so it is spread pretty thin. 78.1% is nitrogen and 20.9% is oxygen, with the remaining 1% made up mostly of Argon (0.9%). The remaining 0.1% comprises several gases which are present as trace elements. CO2, despite the media hype about our changing atmosphere and the rapid increase in the stuff, is still just a trace element.

You have, I presume, grown up being able to see through the air. Why do you suddenly question that you are able to do so? The gases that make up the air we live in are clear and transparent, you can't see them unless they are acted upon and you see something such as a heat shimmer (not much of that once you get any distance above the planet surface.

waynesplash
THREAD ­ STARTER
79 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 17, 2014 17:16 |  #9

Hi all,

A very big sorry for not saying thank you to the above posters, that’s very interesting.

Wayne

smasraum
591 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Apr 18, 2014 16:31 |  #10

I would say the simple answer to your problem is that you aren't magnifying enough to see the distortion.

Get a telescope and try to zoom in on something at 300-400x magnification, especially the moon. You'll see exactly the effect that you're asking about. I've got an 8" Newtonian telescope and if I go for the really high mag on the moon, it looks exactly like I'm looking at it over a hot street. I believe the effect has more to do with temperature differentials in different layers of the atmosphere than it does the different gasses in it.

If you search for astronomy and "seeing" you'll probably get a lot more info too.

Steve
Canon EOS 60D, 350D, 630
Canon 15-85 IS, 100-400L IS, 50mm 1.8, Canon 18-55mm, Sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro
Canon AE-1 Program w/ Canon 50mm 1.4 and 70-210

sponsored links

1,539 views & 0 likes for this thread
how so clear photo with all the Co2
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.