Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 08 Jan 2014 (Wednesday) 09:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What is your expectations toward Canon in a near future

sega62
755 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jan 08, 2014 09:45 |  #1

I will get my 6D in the next hour, its my second full frame in 18 months.

After reading a lot of different forums, I noticed that Canon cameras is still
appreciated, but its not a eye turner, people don't have that WOW this WOW that!
I know they did so much for sensor, but that was then.

Great video camera, great smaller cameras, great burst a second, but when it comes to Mirroless cameras, and Sensor with better DR it is not on par with other cie , SONY for exemple.

I did buy a Fuji mirroless EX2, for the cool features it has, lite weight, and love to take my time to touch all those dials and button to make a picture.Great lenses also, real sharp
specially the camera don't have a AA filter.But its nowhere a DSLR, no way....the speed is really slow, the IQ is great, but not on all situations.When its cloudy I got a different beast!
Seems to me it has some posterization, in Jpeg that is, I did not checked in Raw.

So I was thinking maybe they (Canon) ought to do a camera without the AA filter, if they can, it will enhance the quality of the image, looking even sharper, specially with L lenses.

Also I would like them to seriously think of great support for firmware, I know they can do different things since Magic Lantern is doing cool features with the firmware.

Time for them to stir into our direction in 2014!

sponsored links
Gregg.Siam
Goldmember
2,383 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 08, 2014 09:52 |  #2

nothing...technology will change no matter what we want or think.

I don't care about DR, 12 stops is great now. Blows film away. Learn to expose properly.

AA filter removal is for pixel peepers. Would I buy a model with no AA filter? Sure. But I think the results are minimal at best.

I expect more from myself as a photographer than Canon. The potential for major changes will come from within me more than any sensor will give me.

5D MKIII | 24-105mm f/4 L| 50mm f/1.8 | 600EX-RT [FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=bl​ue][FONT="]|
∞ 500px (external link)
flickr (external link)

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 08, 2014 09:59 |  #3

Gregg.Siam wrote in post #16587999 (external link)

I don't care about DR, 12 stops is great now. Blows film away. Learn to expose properly.

AA filter removal is for pixel peepers. Would I buy a model with no AA filter? Sure. But I think the results are minimal at best.

I expect more from myself as a photographer than Canon. The potential for major changes will come from within me more than any sensor will give me.

I am impressed if you are really seeing a DR of 12 stops. My results are well short of that. I agree that Canon claim that but reality is somewhat different.

And I'd love to get rid of AA filters. If and when Canon ever raise the cash to compete with Sony in the sensor stakes, I think AA filters will be history. However that's not going to happen in the near future.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

sega62
THREAD ­ STARTER
755 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jan 08, 2014 10:00 |  #4

Agree

I will test the Fuji XE2 and the Canon 6d, for IQ...Just for fun, I know the XE2 can make great pics, and also bad pics.........that why I still need a DSLR and of course for speed!

sega62
THREAD ­ STARTER
755 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jan 08, 2014 10:04 |  #5

The same here, I got to learn a lot lot lot more!

flowrider
Goldmember
3,571 posts
Gallery: 124 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 08, 2014 11:12 |  #6

I'd like Canon to improve the guy behind the camera. Technology is not what's hold me back!!

~Steve~
~ My Website-stevelowephoto.com (external link) ~ Facebook (external link)
Feedback Feedback Feedback

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,238 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

Jan 08, 2014 11:51 |  #7

My expectations of Canon? That when the time comes that I need to replace my current camera they will have one available at a price that I can afford, that it will mount and communicate with my lenses and flashes. I'm pretty sure that the image quality will be good.

Gear heads and pixel peepers, sheesh!

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

jase1125
Goldmember
3,025 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined May 2010

Jan 08, 2014 12:02 |  #8

I am more of a barrier to better photography than Canon at the moment. For me, the D800 I owned for awhile offered very little over what Canon provided me. Sometimes we think the grass is greener on the other side. However, when we flip it over all we have is dirt ;).

Jason

cerett
804 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Jan 08, 2014 13:34 |  #9

jase1125 wrote in post #16588327 (external link)
I am more of a barrier to better photography than Canon at the moment. For me, the D800 I owned for awhile offered very little over what Canon provided me. Sometimes we think the grass is greener on the other side. However, when we flip it over all we have is dirt ;).

Gosh, I totally agree! I am my worst enemy when it comes to taking great images. I did get a little caught up in the D800 rush to Nikon, but feel that my 5D3 is a much easier camera to use. Did not see a great improvement in IQ with the D800. Either way, most of the screw-ups (lousy images) are my fault. Wrong settings, wrongs lens, bad lighting, poor filter choice, poor composition, etc. That being said, I am still holding out for the whatever Canon comes up with to compete with the D800. We all know it is coming, it is just a matter of when.

Marty
5D M3, 14/2.8 II, 24/1.4 II, 16-35/2.8, 24-70/2.8, 70-200/2.8 II, 300/2.8, 200-400/4, 500/4 II, 24/3.5 TS-E, 17/4 TS-E, Zeiss 21/2.8; H5D-50C, HCD 28/4, HC 35/3.5, HC 50/3.5II, HCD 35-90/4.5-5.6, HC 150/3.2

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,203 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Jan 08, 2014 13:38 |  #10

I would love to see Canon make the world's best and most innovative cameras, since I am pretty much established in the Canon ecosystem. However, the equipment I have (see my sig) far outpaces my technical capabilities. I am not at at a point (and I may never be, considering I am an amateur) where Canon hardware is limiting my ability to produce a great photograph. What is limiting me is my lack of knowledge of how to work with light, and no amount of hardware razmatazz will help that until I improve myself through practice.

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

sega62
THREAD ­ STARTER
755 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jan 08, 2014 13:50 |  #11

jase1125 wrote in post #16588327 (external link)

Agree, I did some test about 2 different models, and I will tell you I gor surprised at how Canon did compared to  ????, so that is why I just got another Canon!

PNPhotography
775 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 08, 2014 14:47 |  #12

Well said but a 7DMKII would be nice!!!

6D|7D|7DMKII|Nikon D750|Nikon 85 F1.8|Nikon D5500|G15| Gripped|300F4|35F2IS|8​5 F1.8|135L F2|200L F2.8|17-55 F2.8|70-200L F2.8 MKII|430EX|
https://www.facebook.c​om …2755174446/?ref​=bookmarks (external link)

Beachcomber ­ Joe
466 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 08, 2014 14:51 |  #13

sega62 wrote in post #16587981 (external link)
people don't have that WOW this WOW that!

Yeah, forum gearheads are always after the latest gimmick.

I know they did so much for sensor, but that was then.

And now is the Dual Pixel CMOS AF found on the 70D.

Great video camera, great smaller cameras, great burst a second, but when it comes to Mirroless cameras, and Sensor with better DR it is not on par with other cie , SONY for exemple.

The Sony has better DR at base ISO. The Canon FF sensors are far less noisy at high ISO. Historically, high ISO performance has been the holy grail. Mirrorless cameras are struggling in the marketplace. Canon has been around long enough to know what matters to the majority of their current and potential customers.

So I was thinking maybe they (Canon) ought to do a camera without the AA filter, if they can, it will enhance the quality of the image, looking even sharper, specially with L lenses.

AA filters exist for a reason.

Also I would like them to seriously think of great support for firmware, I know they can do different things since Magic Lantern is doing cool features with the firmware.

Spend resources, both time and money, to develop features to add to a product they have already sold. Features that you will expect to get for free. Sounds like a great business plan. The 7D version 2 firmware was a unique exception done for a good business reason.

davidc502
Goldmember
3,456 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 08, 2014 15:07 |  #14

There may be 12 stops of DR @100 ISO, but progressively gets worse/less as ISO increases.

_
My Gear is ---> Here

sega62
THREAD ­ STARTER
755 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jan 08, 2014 15:10 |  #15

canon rookie wrote in post #16588714 (external link)
Well said but a 7DMKII would be nice!!!

Yes it would, and I'm pretty sure because of the popularity of the 7D, and the low price of the 6D that it will happen.

5DmkIII +-3000
7DII +-2400
6D +-1800

sponsored links

1,696 views & 0 likes for this thread
What is your expectations toward Canon in a near future
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.