Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 08 Jan 2014 (Wednesday) 16:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Have a Gitzo GT3541LS need a lighter solution

ChrisMc73
Goldmember
3,212 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 08, 2014 16:25 |  #1

So about 4 years ago, with the help of many of you on POTN, I purchased a Gitzo GT3541LS for my future photography needs, back then, now I need your help again.

Here is my post from many years ago:
https://photography-on-the.net …hp?p=8347777&po​stcount=54

Consists of this:
1. GT3541LS
2. Markins M20 NQS
3. RSS B2LRII QR Clamp and L Plate for 5D Mark II

Well, times have changed, and I need something lighter...a travelers setup, something I'm not going to dread taking with me, that will hold my 5DMKII, and mid size to smaller lenses.

Kind of like this one:
https://photography-on-the.net …php?p=8037355&p​ostcount=1

So my real question is, should I sell my current setup, legs and ball head, I think the RSS clamp can still be used on the new setup, and buy one similar to this traveler one I linked to? Or is there a newer setup that I should consider? What about trades?

Not even sure what my legs and ball head are going for on the open market?
I'd like to stay in the Gitzo world...love their quality. Any suggestions?

Oh and so my goal for the newer travelers light legs, are to just be able to get out and get some landscapes, and do some things I haven't been able to do before with just my camera and not triopd, as I didn't take the one I have out, its pretty heavy even for carbon fiber. The Gitzo Explorer line (external link) looks cool to me, as you can pretty much bend and shape it to whatever angle you need. Considering that line.

With my current setup, I'm not sure how much it all weighs, it feels light but yet heavy to travel with, if that makes any sense?
Wondering that weight vs. the 1541 series etc...

I guess I need to decide which line up of the kits fits my needs, even though that is yet to be determined 100%.
http://www.gitzo.us/ph​oto-kits (external link)

sponsored links
bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jan 08, 2014 18:04 |  #2

Chris,

Is there any way you can keep your current set-up and buy an ultra-light rig as well? That is what I did and I love the versatility it gives me!

If you check my Gear List below, you'll see that I have nearly the same set-up that you have and the one you're looking at getting. The weight difference is very noticeable, but the stability of my 3541 is great when weight/portability isn't an issue.

Also, for my ultralight set-up, I went with the stock Markins screw clamp instead of a RRS lever-clamp due to some pretty significant weight savings. (I was trying to shave as much weight as possible.) However, if I only had one tripod rig, then I would definitely go with the RRS lever clamp since they are so nice to use.

Food for thought,
Bryan

My Gear List

peter_n
Goldmember
2,444 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 08, 2014 20:04 |  #3

You might regret selling the 3541LS, it has been superseded by the 3542LS and it's still not clear that the replacement is an improvement. I use a 3541LS with a Z1 ballhead and have taken it on trips when I have a car, but for hiking and international trips I generally use a travel tripod. It used to be a Gitzo traveler but I replaced that with a Benro traveler as I thought it was a better tripod.

Benro and Feisol travel tripods are popular on this board and there are plenty of reviews of both brands in this forum, and you get about 85% of the quality of a Gitzo at about half the price with them. I'm sure you're aware that travel tripods by their very nature are a compromise so you may be in for a bit of a disappointment, especially if you're on the tall side. Don't sell your 3-series systematic too hastily...

~Peter

ChrisMc73
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,212 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 09, 2014 10:18 |  #4

Ok, point taken, thanks guys. I agree with you, and you're both right, probably not a good idea to sell or trade my 3541LS, so thanks for catching me before I jumped off the cliff.

I'll keep what I have, I can probably use it as a travel set of legs, I know its a system set, do you all have any of the additional parts for it such as the telescoping part etc? I'm only 6' tall, so getting tall isn't a real big deal for my legs.

I was hoping not to spend a lot of money, but what do you think of the FEISOL Travel Rapid Tripod CT-3441T for a travel kit? Is there a comparable/similar Gitzo version? What would it be?

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,081 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 09, 2014 11:10 |  #5

ChrisMc73 wrote in post #16591046 (external link)
I was hoping not to spend a lot of money, but what do you think of the FEISOL Travel Rapid Tripod CT-3441T for a travel kit? Is there a comparable/similar Gitzo version? What would it be?

A friend of mine has one of the Feisol CT3342 tripods and it is an excellent piece of kit. It is not really a traveler type tripod but it handles my 300 F2.8 + 1 Series body very well and is VERY light! The only thing against it is that it is not very tall - specifications here:
http://www.feisol.com/​0823tripodsdetails-4.html (external link)
The quality of the Carbon legs is very good so this would be the same on other models if this one is not suitable.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

ChrisMc73
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,212 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 09, 2014 13:28 |  #6

johnf3f wrote in post #16591158 (external link)
A friend of mine has one of the Feisol CT3342 tripods and it is an excellent piece of kit. It is not really a traveler type tripod but it handles my 300 F2.8 + 1 Series body very well and is VERY light! The only thing against it is that it is not very tall - specifications here:
http://www.feisol.com/​0823tripodsdetails-4.html (external link)
The quality of the Carbon legs is very good so this would be the same on other models if this one is not suitable.

So looks like that one is a "tournament class" model, and the other one I mentioned is the "traveler" model. Not sure what the big difference is though. I really like the quality of Gitzo, wondering what models in the $400-$600 range for traveling are?

Russ61
265 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 09, 2014 15:20 |  #7

I have a Gitzo 3541XLS and Z1 with Wimberley C-10 and love it for its stability on a wide range of lenses, conditions, and terrain....normally only using the 3 lagest leg sections, but a godsend when 1 or more 4th sections needed. But it is too cumbersome (heavy, long) for longer hikes where my largest lens is a 70-200/4. Thus I opted for a light kit consisting of a Gitzo 1541 and Markins Q3. I read thru Ben's 1541T thread, but they're just too short for me and ultra compactness wasn't the most critical attribute. I love both setups and would replace either/both with the same if something were to happen to either.

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,081 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 09, 2014 16:55 |  #8

ChrisMc73 wrote in post #16591513 (external link)
So looks like that one is a "tournament class" model, and the other one I mentioned is the "traveler" model. Not sure what the big difference is though. I really like the quality of Gitzo, wondering what models in the $400-$600 range for traveling are?

This one is a Systematic type. I mentioned it due to it's light weight and superior rigidity due to the lack of a center column and wider spider. The traveler types have a center column and a spider that allows the legs to fold back on themselves giving a shorter folded length though a little less rigidity for a given weight.
Just thought it may be a viable alternative as it is a very nice tripod, though not quite up to my Gitzos.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

peter_n
Goldmember
2,444 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 10, 2014 09:00 |  #9

ChrisMc73 wrote in post #16591046 (external link)
I'll keep what I have, I can probably use it as a travel set of legs, I know its a system set, do you all have any of the additional parts for it such as the telescoping part etc? I'm only 6' tall, so getting tall isn't a real big deal for my legs.

The accessories I have for my 3541LS are a Gitzo center column and a RRS leveling base. I'm going to get an Acratech GP ballhead for it that will complement the Z1. Actually it will replace the Z1/leveling base combo for travel as the Acratech ballhead also acts as a leveling base when you turn it upside down.

A lot of people like the Feisol tripods here including the 3441T and the systematic-style 3442 which many use as a travel tripod because it's so light. Do a search and you'll find the threads. I'm not a fan of the Gitzo travelers, you might want to look at their Mountaineer models like the 2542; not cheap but if you're tall a great tripod - it has stellar reviews at B&H.

I use a Benro travel tripod. It's a Gitzo copy and some parts are interchangeable between Benro and Gitzo. I have Benro parts on my Gitzo and vice versa, it can be very convenient. I'm into my 4th year with the tripod and it has held up well.

~Peter

vasilivanov
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Feb 2014

Feb 07, 2014 12:51 |  #10

I found an article about traveler's tripods for professional photographers a couple of weeks ago, I could search for it and give you a link to it if I get it as I forgot what the name of the site was. There were mostly high end tripods there, most of them were in the range between 350-600$. There were definitely a couple of Glitzo models in there though.

Photography and hiking are the two things I love. Hopefully me, this lovely DSLR and my hiking tripod are getting lots of work done in 2014 (external link).

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,893 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 08, 2014 23:37 |  #11

I def wouldnt sell the heavier setup as its a great one and youll probably need it again some day. Instead start saving up and put together a travler setup. This day and age Id probably look at a set of RRS legs but still a Marking head and RRS clamp.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 09, 2014 00:53 |  #12

ChrisMc73 wrote in post #16591513 (external link)

If you look closely you'll see what's special about it:

They can even be reverse upward folded to hold a CB-50D ballhead within 3 legs.

It's a systematic style tripod with reversible legs that fold up and over like a travel tripod. :cool:

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

Jptenberg
224 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Feb 10, 2014 10:18 |  #13

Get the Gitzo 2542T. This is what I use in leiu of my 3541LS when I am travelling light. I put an Acratech GP-s head on it and it makes for a great travel option. Not a cheap setup, but YGWYPF. I initially had a Feisol 3441s and found that I didn't like it at all. It was feather weight, and I think it was too light in my opinion. It was too easy to knock it around, and I felt that the higher leg angle made it less stable overall. I have been very pleased with the 2542T.

5D3 | 7D | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200L IS II | 100-400L | 24LII | TS-E 24LII | 100L | 135L | 15-85 | Zeiss 50 1.4 | Tokina 11-16 | 580EXII | 430 EXII | Gitzo 3541LS | RRS Leveling base | Arca-Swiss Z1 | RRS Lever Clamp | Gitzo 2542T | Acratech GP-s | RRS TFA-01 with BH-25LR | B+W MRC CP Filters | Hoya ND Filters | Clik-Elite packs | Crumpler bags

tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 12, 2014 09:42 |  #14

I's look at the Feisol 3441. It comes standard and tall. Very light weight, very stable. I've traveled with it for three years, have taken it apart to clean it, and it works like a champ every time. $414. See this review.

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D IV | 5DS/R | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

sponsored links

2,478 views & 0 likes for this thread
Have a Gitzo GT3541LS need a lighter solution
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.