Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 06 Jan 2014 (Monday) 12:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Abe's of Maine.

NU27D
464 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 06, 2014 16:05 as a reply to  @ post 16582833 |  #16

Never had a issue with Abe's going as far back as the film days and as recently as 2013.

sponsored links
Danellyn
THREAD ­ STARTER
175 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 06, 2014 16:23 |  #17

Thanks all for the information. Thanks Helen for the detailed information on the grey market tagged items. I guess I will continue to shop till i hit another good price tag.

Danellyn
http://www.danellyn.co​m (external link)
Canon 20D | Canon 24-105mm f/4L | Canon 50mm f1.4 |Canon 18-55mm kit lens | Canon 75-300mm 1:4-5.6 III | Canon Speedlite 580EX | Calumet Travelite 1875w/s Three-Head Portrait Kit (external link) |
Click Here and Join the POTN flickr Group Today! (external link)

iazybandit
Goldmember
2,119 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 06, 2014 23:06 |  #18

ctwatkins wrote in post #16582812 (external link)
I've ordered from Abe's once and was extremely put off by their "up sell" phone call prior to shipping. They left a message on my machine that they couldn't ship without verifying shipping info by phone first. I returned the call and received the hard sell on filters, memory cards, extra batteries, extended warranty, etc. All the items were at an exorbitant markup compared to comparable items purchased elsewhere. I had to sit through the entire upsell call before they even attempted to verify shipping info (which was the supposed purpose of the call to begin with). I would never order from them again, as I've ordered tons of stuff from B&H and Adorama and never had to deal with a telemarketing call after the purchase.

They do that to everyone but I just politely decline and say if I change my mind down the road, can I purchase and they say yes. So as long its within the next 30 days or so but I never call back.

Canon :: 5D Mark IV | EOS M5
Glass/Gear :: Canon 24-70L II | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF-M 22mm | EF-M 11-22
FULL GEAR LIST | FEEDBACK
FS: Moza Air Gimbal with Thumb Controller and Moza AirCross Gimbal | Custom SLR Dual Glide Strap, BounceLite Flash Modifier, Tolifo LED Light, Varavon Monopod

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,181 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 07, 2014 00:17 |  #19

i ordered from them...i got the call about filters, i said no thanks...that was it...wasn't any sort of hard sell

but all that being said, i recently tried to see if they were an authorized canon reseller, and i couldn't find them on canon's list of online retailers...so i'm not sure if they are anymore

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

Bearmann
Goldmember
1,226 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Location: I live behind Graceland in a tool shed. I often meet the man early in the morning at Krispy Kreme.

Jan 07, 2014 08:29 |  #20

I ordered an appliance from them. The model they advertised was no longer being made, though it was listed as "in stock". After not receiving anything, I called them. At that point they called their distributor to see if they could get the item or a comparable one. It took another call or two by me to get confirmation that the item could not be obtained. My credit card was never charged, but I would still be waiting on my item today if I had not been persistant in calling them. On the phone, they were courteous and attempted to resolve the issue. I would order from them again, but they are not one of my preferred retailers.

Barry

http://b-r-s-photo.zenfolio.com (external link) (remove the dashes)

Asterisk
890 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 07, 2014 08:55 |  #21

DreDaze wrote in post #16584401 (external link)
but all that being said, i recently tried to see if they were an authorized canon reseller, and i couldn't find them on canon's list of online retailers...so i'm not sure if they are anymore

After their bankruptcy, they ceased to be an authorized canon dealer.

ctwatkins
529 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 07, 2014 10:10 as a reply to  @ Asterisk's post |  #22

Interesting reviews on YELP for those wanting more info on Abe's:

http://www.yelp.com/bi​z/abes-of-maine-edison (external link)

For those who don't want to click, it shows an average of two stars out of five, along with numerous one star ratings.

Gear: 5D MKIII * 6D * 35L (1.4) * 135L (2.0) * 24 - 70L (2.8II) * 70 - 200L (2.8ISII) * 200L (2.0IS) * 580 EX * Induro CT213 * PCB AB B800 (X3) * Pocketwizard Plus

SYS
Cream of the Crop
10,134 posts
Gallery: 223 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2004

Jan 07, 2014 10:20 |  #23

I've only once ordered from them many years ago. I'd only consider them again AFTER Amazon, B&H, and Adorama -- in that order.

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear

iazybandit
Goldmember
2,119 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 07, 2014 11:47 |  #24

SYS wrote in post #16585281 (external link)
I've only once ordered from them many years ago. I'd only consider them again AFTER Amazon, B&H, and Adorama -- in that order.

I'd go whichever legit business has the best price. Amazon, B&H, Adorama all charge tax which kills any deals for me.

BuyDig, ABT.com or any other online retailer that charges no tax usually gets my business.

Just bought over $3000 worth of appliances. Did my research as to what I want and started to browse online from my usual online retailers. Found whichever had the best price and deal and ordered.

Canon :: 5D Mark IV | EOS M5
Glass/Gear :: Canon 24-70L II | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF-M 22mm | EF-M 11-22
FULL GEAR LIST | FEEDBACK
FS: Moza Air Gimbal with Thumb Controller and Moza AirCross Gimbal | Custom SLR Dual Glide Strap, BounceLite Flash Modifier, Tolifo LED Light, Varavon Monopod

jrbdmb
Goldmember
1,291 posts
Joined May 2011

Jan 07, 2014 12:45 |  #25

Reseller Ratings was useful years ago. However you will now see that "Merchant Members" (who pays $$ to Reseller Ratings) typically have an excellent rating, and many who don't pay have poor ratings. For example Abe's is a member and has a 9.54 rating; Amazon is not a member and has a 5.10 rating. My experiences with both companies would indicate that these ratings are at least somewhat inaccurate. (BTW, Adorama and BuyDig are members; special kudos to B&H, who is not a member and still manages to keep a 9.78 rating.)

In my case, I ordered an in-stock Sigma lens from Abe's, was charged immediately, heard nothing, then the next week saw the lens was back ordered with no delivery estimate. It took a few phone calls to get my refund. I won't say "never again", but they certainly not on my short list of favorite merchants.

Tools: 70D, 10-22, Tamron 24-70 VC, 70-300L, 135 f2L

Bearmann
Goldmember
1,226 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Location: I live behind Graceland in a tool shed. I often meet the man early in the morning at Krispy Kreme.

Jan 07, 2014 13:24 |  #26

jrbdmb wrote in post #16585633 (external link)
...In my case, I ordered an in-stock Sigma lens from Abe's, was charged immediately, heard nothing, then the next week saw the lens was back ordered with no delivery estimate. It took a few phone calls to get my refund. I won't say "never again", but they certainly not on my short list of favorite merchants.

I get the impression that they don't have any stock themselves, but order it from their supplier once you place an order.

Barry

http://b-r-s-photo.zenfolio.com (external link) (remove the dashes)

Dreamz
97 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 08, 2014 14:58 |  #27

If you have Discover card...check out on their cashback....

I bought it from Adorama - with 2% adorama rewards, 2% other cashback site, PLus 5% discover cashback...

vitacura
Goldmember
1,514 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 09, 2014 19:47 |  #28

I ordered my sigmalux a couple years ago from Abe's of Maine. When they called they did try to sell me some filters, but a polite no and the lens was shipped same day.

Gear & Feedback

sponsored links

3,590 views & 0 likes for this thread
Abe's of Maine.
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.