Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 09 Jan 2014 (Thursday) 16:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Credit card service at Art Shows

golfecho
(I will regret that)
1,965 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 09, 2014 16:22 |  #1

I am starting to apply at art shows and I want to have a credit card swipe capability. Without it, I doubt I would sell too much. So I have been looking at all the various options (square, conventional swipe machines, etc). I think since I will not be doing too many (at least to start) I want something without a monthly fee, but rather some sort of per swipe option. I think I want to do wireless (either tethered to my android, or direct contact)

My question is, what have others found? I'm interested in anyone with a great experience or a terrible experience, and the company they experienced it with.

Thanks all . . .

Facebook (external link) or Website (external link)

sponsored links
Sam6644
691 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 09, 2014 16:23 |  #2

I don't think there's a better option out there than Square right now.

You get a free scanner, the transaction fees is small, there's an option to allow tips, people get emailed a receipt, it keeps all your sales history for you, no monthly fee... it's pretty great.

my site (very outdated at this point) (external link)
Follow on Facebook for more regular updates (external link)
and and twitter (external link)
and instagram, too. (external link)
my blog (external link)

aphphoto
423 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 09, 2014 16:28 |  #3

Square, Paypal or Intuit are all fine with just minor differences in percentage. I have 2 of those 3 just in case.

who gives a rat crap how much gear you can list?

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,579 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 09, 2014 16:39 |  #4

Yup...those. Just be aware that the coverage for them can be a little spotty/sketchy in some locations

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

TB ­ Stewart
84 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jan 09, 2014 17:59 |  #5

I use square with my iphone and have no problems with it.
For a little guy like me (not a large number of sales) it is great!

JacobPhoto
Goldmember
1,434 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jan 09, 2014 18:22 |  #6

Square is the easiest to get (you can pick one up at Starbucks or an Apple store). Some of the other ones might have marginally better rates. But users are becoming more trusting of Square as they become more familiar with it, which may be worth it.

~ Canon 7d / 5D ~ Novatron strobe setup + Vagabond
~ Some L glass, some flashes, the usual

SeattleSpeedster
Goldmember
3,288 posts
Gallery: 614 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Nov 2006

Jan 09, 2014 21:52 |  #7

I use square and its been great

Fuji GFX50s and A7R II | Zeiss 85mm f1.4 Otus and 28mm f1.4 Otus | Fuji GF23mm and 32-64mm | Canon 200mm f1.8 | Zeiss 100-300mm | Zeiss and Canon 16-35mm f4 | Zeiss 135mm f2 | Voigtlander 10mm f5.6 | Zeiss and Sony 50mm f1.4 | DJI Mavic Pro 2 and Inspire 2 X5S drones | https://mikereidphotog​raphy.com (external link)

grayline
247 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Jan 09, 2014 21:56 |  #8

Square...... Other than NO CUSTOMER SUPPORT WHATSOEVER (REALLY THERE IS NO NUMBER NO ONE TO TALK TO EVER) SQUARE is a screwy screw job but its the only choice out there unfortunatly

Gear List :EOS 70D ,Sigma 50mm 1.4,Tamron 18-270, Canon 18-55,Canon HFM31,Canon SX280HS,Olympus E-10 ,

aphphoto
423 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 09, 2014 22:47 |  #9

grayline wrote in post #16592808 (external link)
Square...... Other than NO CUSTOMER SUPPORT WHATSOEVER (REALLY THERE IS NO NUMBER NO ONE TO TALK TO EVER) SQUARE is a screwy screw job but its the only choice out there unfortunatly

How on earth do you figure "its the only choice out there"? :rolleyes:

who gives a rat crap how much gear you can list?

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 10, 2014 09:59 |  #10

We generally use Square. We also have the Paypal service, which my wife likes but I resist.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

zantop
126 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Jan 10, 2014 12:17 |  #11

Here's a link to Paypal's version: https://www.paypal.com …ps/mpp/credit-card-reader (external link)

Like most everyone in the world, I'm not the biggest fan of paypal who seems to enjoy arbitrarily freezing money in the accounts of random small businesses and charities just for kicks. My experiences with their customer service have not been stellar.

That said, this little swipe thing of their's looks pretty handy and has a good rate. I just wouldn't leave my money sitting in my paypal account & would transfer it out as soon as it came in.

NickZantop.com - my portfolio (external link) | ItsJustLight.com - photography tips & tutorials (external link)

jwhite65
395 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2013

Jan 10, 2014 12:20 |  #12

I use Square exclusively. Only problem I've had is that one of my readers quit working. I suggest keeping a spare handy.

Jeff
http://www.jeffwhiteph​otography.com (external link)
5D MkIII | 5D MkII | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 24-70 f/2.8L | 50mm f/1.4 | 600EX-RT (3) | ST-E3-RT

drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 10, 2014 17:53 |  #13

I've been a PayPal user for well over 10 years. I use the PayPal reader and have had no issues. They are the global leader for online transactions and essentially the world's largest bank.

Having said that, there is a singular feature that I like of the Square... you can have the account setup so that transactions are auto deposited into your bank account. With PayPal, I have to log into PayPal and manually withdraw the money. For me, this isn't a big deal, as I do a lot of online transactions anyway, so I have no problem leaving money in my PayPal account at times.

I use manual exposure settings on the copy machine
..::Gear Listing::.. --==Feedback==--
...A few umbrella brackets I own...

golfecho
THREAD ­ STARTER
(I will regret that)
1,965 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 11, 2014 11:51 as a reply to  @ drvnbysound's post |  #14

Thanks everyone for your input. I applied for the Square solution, and will see how that works.

Facebook (external link) or Website (external link)

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jan 11, 2014 12:10 |  #15

golfecho,

Thanks for letting us know how things turn out. Your thread has been very useful to me too and has given me some ideas.

Thanks!
Bryan

My Gear List

sponsored links

2,756 views & 0 likes for this thread
Credit card service at Art Shows
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.