Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 12 Jul 2013 (Friday) 19:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM - Good Buy @ $400 ?

Davie82
257 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 15, 2013 17:28 |  #31

I got mine a few years ago for approx $400 and I must have been really lucky... I used this lens for everything under the sun - weddings, functions, commercial, you name it, the Sigmalux was on the 1Ds2 almost all the time.

I never had any focus problems even at f/1.4 in low light with the 5D (forget the pro focus of the 1Ds2) and the only reason I sold the lens was because I stopped working as a photographer. I now use the nifty mk2 and it's a great little lens, but the Sigmalux is remarkable, or at least was for me, and it didn't need any tweaking or calibration of any sort. Plug and play.

Gear

sponsored links
photography ­ By ­ Evangelos
Goldmember
1,167 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Jul 25, 2013 22:59 as a reply to  @ Davie82's post |  #32

As of this post I just returned the new Sigma 50MM 1.4 lens that I got less than 7 days ago. I found this lens to be a huge let down in terms of AF speed, quality of the images. The canon 50MM 1.4 is a better lens as far as I am concerned. I will be trying the Canon 50MM 1.2L next.

Robert ­ A
THREAD ­ STARTER
44 posts
Joined May 2013

Aug 14, 2013 20:51 |  #33

I deceided to try the Sigma 50. I recieved my Sigma 50mm from Adorama last week, my copy is working properly, it did need a +6 MA adjustment to be spot on perfect. So far the pics have been outstanding, I am very pleased with this lens, build quality excellent. It has been on the camera since It was dropped off by UPS, I really like it.

grayline
247 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Jan 09, 2014 23:16 |  #34

Robert A wrote in post #16117422 (external link)
I know this topic has been beaten to death, but the sigma 50mm could have been a great lens from what I have read, the construction is very nice, bokeh is also very nice, if it was just able to focus.

Obviously a bad design in the optical formula, most likely too expensive to fix.

Ive Read a Ton Of stuff on this lens... Ive heard good and Bad and fixes and theres really no problem But........
I want to love this because I purchased it from Amazon for $499 . Was this a good price ? I don't know I would love to think so ....
Thanks For the Input

Gear List :EOS 70D ,Sigma 50mm 1.4,Tamron 18-270, Canon 18-55,Canon HFM31,Canon SX280HS,Olympus E-10 ,

grayline
247 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Jan 09, 2014 23:20 |  #35

Thorrulz wrote in post #16116969 (external link)
It's really sad out of all the 50mm lens options that there isn't a single one without flaws to some degree. I have settled on Canon's 50 f/1.4 until they upgrade it or the f/1.2 sometime down the road.

Hey Thorrulz,Ive contempated this for awhile Did I go Wrong in Buying this New? also Ive been Looking to see if its good for Macro But Found Nothing?

Gear List :EOS 70D ,Sigma 50mm 1.4,Tamron 18-270, Canon 18-55,Canon HFM31,Canon SX280HS,Olympus E-10 ,

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,640 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 10, 2014 01:42 |  #36

Been using mine for roughly 8 months now and I haven't noticed any of the issues I just read about in this thread. Been rock solid right out of the box for me.

Jerobean
785 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 10, 2014 07:52 as a reply to  @ the flying moose's post |  #37

my main gripe with this forum is everyone feels the need to use hyperbole all the *#$&)(*# time. Like, it's your job to convince people to think the way you do regardless of whether that is helpful to anyone.

Why isn't it enough to present factual information without all your bias thrown in?

why does every sigma thread have to be "if you want to gamble on getting a POS lens, go for it" instead of "some people have focus issues, you should look into that before purchasing." or "you might want to purchase new so you can return it if you have focus issues."

it's very obvious that not everyone has issues with their sigma lenses. anytime a sigma has an issue the tour de force of sigma haters come out. Any time you see an issue with a canon lens, it's a fluke. Have you had personal experience with sigma issues, share it, that is relevant information. But don't pretend to have all the numbers and with authority tell someone that all sigmas lenses are junk and have focus issues.

the reality of it is, that many people AREN'T PROFESSIONALS on these boards, they are enthusiasts shooting for personal reasons. The draw of 3rd party lenses is performance per dollar. 3rd party lenses offer affordable alternatives to high priced Canon lenses. They may not be as good, but sometimes they are, OR maybe they offer something canon doesn't. People look because if they can get 90% of that $2000 L lens for $1000, they are interested.

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,634 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 10, 2014 08:56 |  #38

I agree with you. These forums are not the absolute source of wisdom.

Normally, my process for considering a lens goes through a number of stages. From the beginning, I had a wide range of focal lengths covered, so eventually, I identify a need for a specific type of lens. For the sake of the argument, say I want a fast 50.

I go to B&H and see what they have on 50s... I get rid of the ridiculously expensive ones and make a list.

Then I go to the Digital Picture.com and look at the optical performance. Lenstip too...

This gives me a ranking order in terms of optics.

Then back to B&H to ask for the help of the audience. I look at the reviews (no I don't read them... yet...) I rank them. From the worst to the best (lower score first). Assuming that I have a good statistical sample, say over 50 reviews, I count how many reviews it takes to reach 4 stars.

My reasoning is that I would not buy a lens that rates less than 4 stars, so let's see how many people rate it as such.

If the result fo 1-3 stars is:

less than 2%, I run to buy it

2%-5%, I set up for a good excuse (like wait for a sale, an anniversary, birthday... and buy it)

5%-10% I put it in the list of 'Can I live without it?' consider it again a bit later. Normally I end up buying the damn thing... I do read the reviews to see if there is a pattern for the negativism.

Over 10%... don't walk, run away from the damn thing...

Sigma 50 f1.4... 299 reviews as of today. 51 reviews under 4 stars 17%. I am not going to be rocking this version of the 1.4.

And I am not Sigma bashing. I have the 8-16 in my signature which I got in direct comparison to the EFS 10-22 one of the most popular Canon lenses.

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

artyH
Goldmember
2,110 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 10, 2014 09:13 |  #39

According to the reviews, e.g. Photozone, the Sigma 50 F1.4 lens shows strong focus shift as it is stopped down.
I have the Sigma 50F2.8 macro lens. The 50 macro is a fine lens. AF is accurate, but slower than USM. AF speed is OK, even if not all that fast.
Canon may be coming out with an IS version of the 50, but it may not be F1.4. This one might be worth waiting for.

Jerobean
785 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 10, 2014 09:21 |  #40

that's a fair method I guess, but I feel it loses a little validity when you get to your star rating methodology. There is definite bias when it comes to rating items. people are way less likely to rate an item they are satisfied with, and way more likely to be vocally disappointed if they have an issue. this is why I believe sigma focus issues are blown out of proportion. You take a very small segment of photographers, put them on a message board or aggregate review site, and you end up with such a crazy small sample size that it's hard to believe it's statistically significant.

IMO the sigma 50 is the 2nd best 50mm, and at 800-900 less than the 50L, it would be worth the possible inconvenience of potentially swapping out a copy or two until you get one you are satisfied with. if you don't get one you like, you lose nothing, just return it. if you get one you like, congrats, you got a great lens at a bargain.

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,634 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 10, 2014 10:32 |  #41

Jerobean wrote in post #16593774 (external link)
that's a fair method I guess, but I feel it loses a little validity when you get to your star rating methodology. There is definite bias when it comes to rating items. people are way less likely to rate an item they are satisfied with, and way more likely to be vocally disappointed if they have an issue. this is why I believe sigma focus issues are blown out of proportion. You take a very small segment of photographers, put them on a message board or aggregate review site, and you end up with such a crazy small sample size that it's hard to believe it's statistically significant.

IMO the sigma 50 is the 2nd best 50mm, and at 800-900 less than the 50L, it would be worth the possible inconvenience of potentially swapping out a copy or two until you get one you are satisfied with. if you don't get one you like, you lose nothing, just return it. if you get one you like, congrats, you got a great lens at a bargain.

I tested the validity of the % range using lenses I am familiar with and/or have a very large sample. That's how I ended with the 2-5-10% breakpoints. I am not arguing that it has scalpel accuracy, but at 17% **** rate, I am not running to buy the old Sigma f1.4...

I would not be averse in trying the USB dock... next year... I am coming off 2013 when I bought the EF 24-70 MkII, Σ 8-16, and 5DIII, so I will lay veeery low this year, lest my wife kills me... jk, she is pretty much ok... I just can't justify learning a new camera and an UWA in the next few months and going for more...

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

dadgummit
977 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 10, 2014 14:58 |  #42

I have had several copies of the Sigma 50 (and the Sigma 30) Almost all of them front focused up close and back focused after 15-20 feet. The one exception was a Sigma 30 that became my favorite lens by a wide margin. When Sigmas are good they are really good but when they are bad they are really bad. Unfortunately in my experience (others may have had better luck) sigma primes run about a 10% chance of being good.

If you only shoot at a single distance then go for it as long as you have AFMA but otherwise I would pass and wait for the new version.

I am quite excited about the newly announced Sigma 50 because Canon cannot seem to make a decent 50 at least in my opinion (please no flaming I am sure you love your 50L for many reasons)
The new Sigma will allow you to hook it up to your computer and adjust the focus on both the near and far settings. Optically it looks like it will have killer resolution.

My Humble Gear List
I shutter to think how many people are underexposed and lacking depth in this field.Rick Steves

burb1972
126 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Jan 10, 2014 16:02 |  #43

i would wait, canon is supposed to come out with 50mm 1.8 is and then the new sigma 50 art. I am saving up for one of them.

mike parker
gear list 5dc, tamron 19-35, tamron 28-75, 50mm 1.8 mark 1, 28-70 3.5 canon(x2), 100 f/2 canon, 70-300 usm is, helios 44-2, vpk lens put into a m42 cap attached to a bellows, 430 ex

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,668 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jan 11, 2014 01:21 |  #44

MakisM1 wrote in post #16593968 (external link)
I tested the validity of the % range using lenses I am familiar with and/or have a very large sample. That's how I ended with the 2-5-10% breakpoints. I am not arguing that it has scalpel accuracy, but at 17% **** rate, I am not running to buy the old Sigma f1.4...

I would not be averse in trying the USB dock... next year... I am coming off 2013 when I bought the EF 24-70 MkII, Σ 8-16, and 5DIII, so I will lay veeery low this year, lest my wife kills me... jk, she is pretty much ok... I just can't justify learning a new camera and an UWA in the next few months and going for more...

And none of that covers the fact that if you can get a great deal on one, to cover a trip to sigma, that your rate drops quite a bit. I know some always throws out the ol' "I shouldn't have to send it in" card but if you go into the purchase up front expecting to and get a deal to come the extra shipping to sigma, it may very well be worth it.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

FEChariot
Goldmember
4,424 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Jan 11, 2014 12:21 |  #45

MakisM1 wrote in post #16593712 (external link)
I agree with you. These forums are not the absolute source of wisdom.

Normally, my process for considering a lens goes through a number of stages. From the beginning, I had a wide range of focal lengths covered, so eventually, I identify a need for a specific type of lens. For the sake of the argument, say I want a fast 50.

I go B&H and see what they have on 50s... I get rid of the ridiculously expensive ones and make a list.

Then I go to the Digital Picture.com and look at the optical performance. Lenstip too...

This gives me a ranking order in terms of optics.

Then back to B&H to ask for the help of the audience. I look at the reviews (no I don't read them... yet...) I rank them. From the worst to the best (lower score first). Assuming that I have a good statistical sample, say over 50 reviews, I count how many reviews it takes to reach 4 stars.

My reasoning is that I would not buy a lens that rates less than 4 stars, so let's see how many people rate it as such.

If the result fo 1-3 stars is:

less than 2%, I run to buy it

2%-5%, I set up for a good excuse (like wait for a sale, an anniversary, birthday... and buy it)

5%-10% I put it in the list of 'Can I live without it?' consider it again a bit later. Normally I end up buying the damn thing... I do read the reviews to see if there is a pattern for the negativism.

Over 10%... don't walk, run away from the damn thing...

Sigma 50 f1.4... 299 reviews as of today. 51 reviews under 4 stars 17%. I am not going to be rocking this version of the 1.4.

And I am not Sigma bashing. I have the 8-16 in my signature which I got in direct comparison to the EFS 10-22 one of the most popular Canon lenses.

The problem here is the majority of bad reviews, not just on camera equipment, but everything is that a large percentage of those reviews are written by people that just plain don't have a clue. They are usually written with massive RTFM issues, poor technique evidence, or plain over exaggerated expectations of what the product is capable of. Half the time you can just read poor reviews and know exactly what they are doing wrong.

Canon 7D/350D, Σ17-50/2.8 OS, 18-55IS, 24-105/4 L IS, Σ30/1.4 EX, 50/1.8, C50/1.4, 55-250IS, 60/2.8, 70-200/4 L IS, 85/1.8, 100/2.8 IS L, 135/2 L 580EX II, 430EX II * 2, 270EX II.

sponsored links

6,371 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM - Good Buy @ $400 ?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.