Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 09 Aug 2010 (Monday) 09:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

STICKY: How to photograph a high school Senior - Part 2

rjharris
936 posts
Gallery: 68 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 06, 2014 11:37 |  #1081

umphotography wrote in post #16582010 (external link)
Then we are on the same page. I typically will work with 2-3 people a year. Their package costs $150.00 and they get 12 poses to print in any size they want up to 11x14. If They send me 3 referrals they get it for free. I apply a 33% discount to every order for each referral. So 3 and its free for the people i choose to do some modeling for the program.

Also, I have applied a discount for everyone. Any referral from their friends gets anyone a 20% discount. So 5 referrals gets then their base packages for free and discounts up to 40% for wall portraits and albums.

After 5 yrs of shooting seniors I know what we have all been taught by PPA instructors Does not work for the senior market anymore. Every new senior photographer out there gets 5-6 spokes models. Its ridiculous what has happened to the senior market. And all the kids are very aware. I have kids coming up to me every years asking what i going to give them to Be a spokesmodel. The program idea has been beat to death. My suggestion to everyone is to avoid it like the plague.

I'm going to do a spokemodel program but it's going to cost enough to more than break even. I have to figure out the details yet though. Where I do business, the main photog does all his sittings for free then makes up for that with mega expensive packages.

sponsored links
GerryDavid
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 06, 2014 13:24 |  #1082

rjharris wrote in post #16582353 (external link)
I'm going to do a spokemodel program but it's going to cost enough to more than break even. I have to figure out the details yet though. Where I do business, the main photog does all his sittings for free then makes up for that with mega expensive packages.

What does he charge for his packages? :)

umphotography wrote in post #16582010 (external link)
Then we are on the same page. I typically will work with 2-3 people a year. Their package costs $150.00 and they get 12 poses to print in any size they want up to 11x14. If They send me 3 referrals they get it for free. I apply a 33% discount to every order for each referral. So 3 and its free for the people i choose to do some modeling for the program.

Also, I have applied a discount for everyone. Any referral from their friends gets anyone a 20% discount. So 5 referrals gets then their base packages for free and discounts up to 40% for wall portraits and albums.

After 5 yrs of shooting seniors I know what we have all been taught by PPA instructors Does not work for the senior market anymore. Every new senior photographer out there gets 5-6 spokes models. Its ridiculous what has happened to the senior market. And all the kids are very aware. I have kids coming up to me every years asking what i going to give them to Be a spokesmodel. The program idea has been beat to death. My suggestion to everyone is to avoid it like the plague.

Ive learned to turn every senior into a "spokesmodel" and reward them for referrals. :)

Ive based my program on what Tiffany shared 3 or 4 years ago and modified it from there. I dont think there were to many of us that did it for free, that or I just didnt pay attention. :)

I use to limit how many spokesmodels I had per school but now as many of them can sign up during their junior year as they want. :) Ive found the more pics I share the more I get noticed and the more bookings I get.

Canon investor

trailguy
449 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 06, 2014 14:56 |  #1083

I'd like some advice on using my 40D & 580EX II, 17-55 2.8 lens to shoot an indoor event.
I have done some, such as my high school reunion with reasonably good results, and have been asked to capture a formal event of a couple hundred people standing and sitting in some large indoor rooms.
I have typically used f3.5, iso200, with the flash TTL, angled 45*, and the little reflector card up. I have a Rogue 5x9 flash bender, but have never tried it.
I attached a couple of typical shots (with PP).
I do it as a hobby and usually ask only for gas$ (and a nice meal in this case).
Thanks for any settings advice.
http://trailguy.smugmu​g.com …Cr8/0/M/SAT-NIGHT-1-M.jpg (external link)

http://trailguy.smugmu​g.com …DINNER-1%20%2840%29-M.jpg (external link)

Perfectionism is the highest form of self-abuse
"Best wide-angle lens? Two steps backward"
Ernst Hass 1952

Dave ­ Jr
Goldmember
1,873 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 06, 2014 16:00 |  #1084

Hi Trailguy, wrong thread perhaps? This one is for High School seniors, not Senior Seniors :)

Dave Jr - MN
5 (external link)px | Gear

rjharris
936 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 06, 2014 17:40 |  #1085

My referral program is $25.00 cash for any referrals and the person referred also gets a $10.00 print credit. I'm going to also give them a mini accordion picture book at 5 referrals. I haven't been shooting seniors long and only a few have used it but they really like seeing the green stuff. I really like the idea of no limit spokes model for a fee and think I might try to incorporate it into what I'm doing. Still just a hobby for me though.

rjharris
936 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 06, 2014 17:52 |  #1086

Gerry, I'm not exactly sure what he charges for packages as no one will give me a sheet. I will say that from what they tell me they must start at close to $500.00 though. I know that his school team photos are very high for their quality.

umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
10,458 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 09, 2014 17:58 |  #1087

GerryDavid wrote in post #16582602 (external link)
What does he charge for his packages? :)

Ive learned to turn every senior into a "spokesmodel" and reward them for referrals. :)

Ive based my program on what Tiffany shared 3 or 4 years ago and modified it from there. I dont think there were to many of us that did it for free, that or I just didnt pay attention. :)

I use to limit how many spokesmodels I had per school but now as many of them can sign up during their junior year as they want. :) Ive found the more pics I share the more I get noticed and the more bookings I get.

Gerry

Kind of in a similar boat. Thats why I do the percentage booking for everyone. Refer a friend and get 20% off you order. 5 friends and the order is free for the print package and they get a 16x20 gallery wrap for free.......Everyone is a spokesmodel:lol:

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

sevillafox
I'm good with pathetic! Really, I am.
25,223 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 09, 2014 19:50 |  #1088

You are brave with the percentage.....can't control your costs that way.....eeks!

Tiffany
hopeless smooshoholic......I smoosh!

GerryDavid
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 09, 2014 20:56 |  #1089

That offer could easily be taken advantage of. She could order a $3k package, and pay 5 friends to order a $200 base package and come out way ahead.

Canon investor

trailguy
449 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 10, 2014 07:04 |  #1090

Dave Jr wrote in post #16583001 (external link)
Hi Trailguy, wrong thread perhaps? This one is for High School seniors, not Senior Seniors :)

Didn't see a thread for "senior seniors", thought this might bring some useful response, but it looks like I got the attention of a 5th grader.

Perfectionism is the highest form of self-abuse
"Best wide-angle lens? Two steps backward"
Ernst Hass 1952

canon1966
29 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Jan 10, 2014 09:13 |  #1091
bannedPermanent ban

sevillafox wrote in post #16592515 (external link)
You are brave with the percentage.....can't control your costs that way.....eeks!

Glad to see you back :D

rjharris
936 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 10, 2014 10:24 |  #1092

trailguy wrote in post #16582824 (external link)
I'd like some advice on using my 40D & 580EX II, 17-55 2.8 lens to shoot an indoor event.
I have done some, such as my high school reunion with reasonably good results, and have been asked to capture a formal event of a couple hundred people standing and sitting in some large indoor rooms.
I have typically used f3.5, iso200, with the flash TTL, angled 45*, and the little reflector card up. I have a Rogue 5x9 flash bender, but have never tried it.
I attached a couple of typical shots (with PP).
I do it as a hobby and usually ask only for gas$ (and a nice meal in this case).
Thanks for any settings advice.
http://trailguy.smugmu​g.com …Cr8/0/M/SAT-NIGHT-1-M.jpg (external link)

http://trailguy.smugmu​g.com …DINNER-1%20%2840%29-M.jpg (external link)

Something like this I would slow my shutter speed down to let more ambient light in (shooting in manual). I usually go up to 400 - 800 iso on my 7D. I also have a 40D but use it only as a back up. Then I'd try for F4 to get a little sharper and better depth of field. I'd shoot the pictures you posted on your smug mug site at probably 1/125 or so with on camera flash, stofen and pointed to the ceiling so I'd have more mobility. I also like to have the flash on camera in this situation to aid with the focus in lower light. I've done a few sweet 16's and quincenira (Spelling is way off there) this way and they seem to turn out fine for what people want. I try to work something like this so that the flash freezes most of the motion when they're up and dancing,that's my goal and just play with settings for a few minutes till I get it right then leave it alone.

umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
10,458 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 10, 2014 15:27 |  #1093

GerryDavid wrote in post #16592670 (external link)
That offer could easily be taken advantage of. She could order a $3k package, and pay 5 friends to order a $200 base package and come out way ahead.

Sorry

should clarify- 20% off the basic print package. Maximum costs for a print package is $285.00. These are numbers of prints up to 11x14. If they give me a paying referral i will take 20% off anytime. 5 referrals and they get it for free plus a free 16x20 gallery wrap. I dont want to post what my actual costs would be but you guys that do this know and will understand why i apply these discounts.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

sevillafox
I'm good with pathetic! Really, I am.
25,223 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 10, 2014 19:13 |  #1094

Good that you limit it to the basic package only. I've done the % off thing before and it's always painful. I'd rather give a bonus item that they perceive at a higher value. What I've always heard is be stingy with the discounts....it costs you more to give a % off or $ off than it does to add on a bonus product.

Tiffany
hopeless smooshoholic......I smoosh!

urizzm
37 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 11, 2014 09:03 |  #1095

Like three the best

sponsored links

686,386 views & 2,293 likes for this thread
How to photograph a high school Senior - Part 2
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.