Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 11 Jan 2014 (Saturday) 09:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Stolen Photo

IFLY2
30 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 11, 2014 09:06 |  #1

I have a photo being used so wide spread I can not even begin to describe how far the trail is leading. The watermark was removed . Am I just at a Loss ?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 11, 2014 09:08 |  #2

Well the watermark is in just a place that it can easily be cropped out and the beef of the image (subject) is still there. Something like this you would watermark over the center of the image not in the corner. Corner watermarks do very little to "protect" the image - they are branding only.

monkey44
724 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Jan 11, 2014 09:50 |  #3

Nice shot -- If that was mine, I'd track it as far as I could and make every single website take it down or pay.

OR, in this case - maybe leave it up and charge a fee to each one that has posted it. It's giving your name exposure, but at a cost.

There's another thread going here about a blog that knowingly 'stole' an image - cost the host $3000. Not enough fine IMO ...

PhotosGuy
75,488 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Jan 11, 2014 10:00 |  #4

"Wide spread?" Were any of them taken by someone with deep pockets? Step by step advice: Help! I’ve Been Infringed! (external link)

Did any of those remove the watermark, & did they have "© 201X Your Name" on them? If an image that was taken originally had a watermark that was removed, then you have a case for damages separate from the ones that require registration.
From Carolyn E Wright's blog: (external link) Section 1202 of the U.S. Copyright Act makes it illegal for someone to remove the watermark from your photo so that it can disguise the infringement when used. The fines start at $2500 and go to $25,000 in addition to attorneys' fees and any damages for the infringement.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Qlayer2
OOOHHH! Pretty Moth!
941 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Jan 11, 2014 10:02 |  #5

Did you copyright register the photo? If so, removing the watermark is a minimum $2500 fine. Get screenshots of the offenders. If the photo was published in the last 90 days, you can still register it if you haven't already. Then call an attorney to start sending out letters. Do NOT contact the people using it until you 1- have screenshots showing the use and 2- have a copyright on the photo. Let your attorney handle that.

monkey44
724 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Jan 11, 2014 10:55 |  #6

Qlayer2 wrote in post #16596548 (external link)
Did you copyright register the photo? If so, removing the watermark is a minimum $2500 fine. Get screenshots of the offenders. If the photo was published in the last 90 days, you can still register it if you haven't already. Then call an attorney to start sending out letters. Do NOT contact the people using it until you 1- have screenshots showing the use and 2- have a copyright on the photo. Let your attorney handle that.

I agree with most of this -

Contrary to what many believe, we DO NOT have to register a photo to make it our copyright. Copyright - images - words - art - copyright to the original photographer, writer, artist at the moment of creation independent of any "registration" ...

You can register anything - but are not required. Just make sure you have a way to prove you shot the original. Writers once mailed a copy to themselves and did not open it. The mailed date proved the words belonged to that writer (less expensive than registering every written word)

You can see the digital rights on the original image, and if you can't, then set your camera properties to label it with your name, AND archive that original. Generate copies for professional or personal use. Watermarks work as well, but requires some digital proof, where the 'digital rights named original' makes it easier too.

Aki78
960 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2006

Jan 11, 2014 11:20 |  #7

For lawsuits you want them to be registered otherwise it would only be the actual damage which may be a waste of time. I learned mine the hard way; not a huge case but still bugs me to this day.

It's an awesome shot by the way; get the image registered if you haven't and go from there.

MattPharmD
255 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jan 11, 2014 11:27 |  #8

If they removed the watermark, it doesn't matter if it was registered. The $2,500 to $25,000 penalty is IN ADDITION it the infringement settlement, and can be obtained on an unregistered photo. It is considered evidence of "willful and knowing" copyright infringement. It also doesn't have to say anything about copyright, have the symbol, or the year. Just the fact it is reasonably unique and identifiable is all that matters.

Photography is just a hobby for me.
Twitter: @PharmNerdMatt (external link)
Youtube:The PharmNerd (external link)

Aki78
960 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2006

Jan 11, 2014 11:43 |  #9

Oh yes I forget about the copyright removal part!

monkey44
724 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Jan 11, 2014 11:51 |  #10

MattPharmD wrote in post #16596723 (external link)
If they removed the watermark, it doesn't matter if it was registered. The $2,500 to $25,000 penalty is IN ADDITION it the infringement settlement, and can be obtained on an unregistered photo. It is considered evidence of "willful and knowing" copyright infringement. It also doesn't have to say anything about copyright, have the symbol, or the year. Just the fact it is reasonably unique and identifiable is all that matters.

Right - exactly. Identifiable as YOUR image ...that is the requirement.

All you have to do is prove you shot the original image. If you can't prove that, you have no claim that will mature.

We should be happy the fines are as much as they are - makes someone think twice about it - but only if they KNOW it before hand. Too many folks out there now actually BELIEVE anything on the web is public. So, beyond protecting out rights, we need to spread that word - "If you steal our images, you will pay for it."

Matter of fact, that gives me a pitch idea for a national consumer story - revealing that fact in public venues will help. I believe most of the images that 'sneak' and 'get posted' around the web are sent in ignorance of that fact. So, we need to make it as public as these photos that spin all over the place.

Maybe we can get enough of these $2500 fines into the Feds and clear our national debt. :rolleyes::):lol:

OhLook
Spiderwoman
17,138 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 11, 2014 12:25 |  #11

monkey44 wrote in post #16596677 (external link)
Writers once mailed a copy to themselves and did not open it. The mailed date proved the words belonged to that writer

This practice didn't provide the intended protection. Think how easy it is to mail yourself an empty envelope.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
5,866 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Jan 11, 2014 12:29 |  #12

Love the image, very unique. Go get them!

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - 18-55 - 23/35/50 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m

monkey44
724 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Jan 11, 2014 14:48 |  #13

OhLook wrote in post #16596848 (external link)
This practice didn't provide the intended protection. Think how easy it is to mail yourself an empty envelope.

It works if you don't open it ... and will always be a part of 'other evidence' ... no lawsuit depends on one item. Nowadays you can simply email a copy to yourself, to prove when you have it, and show you have it prior to anyone else ... email is all date-stamped.

Plus, what bothers me more is in this day and age, we need to protect ourselves at all. Too many crooks and cheats out there that would probably make even more money if they put those efforts into 'legitimate work' ...

Think of the tech knowledge it takes to break a security system -- then put that knowledge to work ... go figure.

Firemike
" lingering odor "
3,015 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jan 11, 2014 15:50 |  #14

An attorney advised me years ago that mailing yourself a copy offers extremely little if any protection whatsoever. Generally called a 'Poor Mans Copyright' it is one of those copyright myths that refuses to die.

http://www.plagiarismt​oday.com …h-of-poor-mans-copyright/ (external link)

Michael

Canon 40D (x2), 50D, & 7D ( All Gripped) | Canon EF 28-135 1:3/5-5.6 IS | Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM | Canon EF 17-40 mm f/4L USM | Canon EF 70-200 1:4 L USM
430EX-II | 580EX-II
| Gossen Luna-Pro Digital F Exposure Meter

Kronie
Goldmember
2,183 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 11, 2014 16:01 |  #15

Wow your right, that image is all over. This site even replaced the watermark with their own copyright.

http://i1167.photobuck​et.com …59125434_147886​9545_n.jpg (external link)

You can do much about the overseas users but I would definitely lawyer up and register the image if you haven't already. You could keep a lawyer busy all year....Hire a lawyer that specializes in copyright.

sponsored links

6,604 views & 2 likes for this thread
Stolen Photo
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.