Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 26 Dec 2013 (Thursday) 14:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Worst feeing in the world!!!

Daphatty
490 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 11, 2014 15:47 |  #46

RTPVid wrote in post #16586220 (external link)
Don't neglect to keep one of your copies off-site. (Here is a tale of woe about having all backups in the same place.)

Personally, I know I would not maintain an off-site backup. In other words, I would procrastinate so that in general, I would still have months of my recent files at risk. So, I use this cloud service (external link) as my off-site backup.

I'm still on the fence about an offsite backup for my photos. I'm not a professional photographer and I never will be. This is just a hobby for me. The way I see it, If something were to happen that killed all three of my backup copies, I'd have far more pressing matters to concern myself with.

Canon 5D III | EF 24-105mm f/4L IS | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | EF 40mm f/2.8
Nest NT-6295c Tripod | Bendo IB2 Ballhead

sponsored links
pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 11, 2014 15:59 |  #47

Daphatty wrote in post #16597300 (external link)
I'm still on the fence about an offsite backup for my photos. I'm not a professional photographer and I never will be. This is just a hobby for me. The way I see it, If something were to happen that killed all three of my backup copies, I'd have far more pressing matters to concern myself with.

Well, a fire may destroy everything you have. So you end up having to start a new life buying new furniture etc. Wouldn't it then be nice to at least have some photos of your previous life? Especially since most people can manage an off-site backup almost for free. It's enough to store a USB disk in a locker at work. Or at a friends place.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,807 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 11, 2014 16:16 |  #48

pwm2 wrote in post #16597326 (external link)
Especially since most people can manage an off-site backup almost for free. It's enough to store a USB disk in a locker at work. Or at a friends place.

Heck, one can merely exchange 'services' with a neighbor...you store his USB harddrive in exchange for him storing yours. Periodically you each return the drives to allow updated files to be copied, and then it goes back.

And if you fear your neighbor getting curious and discovering the nude photos of your wife or mistress, you can always put a password protection on the drive to make his casual browsing much more of a chore. :lol: ;)

If you live in a flood plain or in a dense forested area, where a single flood or fire can wipe out both you and your neighbor's place, only then resort to a workplace storage or a friend.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

HuskyKMA
"Now what?"
1,749 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 11, 2014 16:35 |  #49

Two is one, one is none. Always have two. Which means have three, with one of them offsite.

Glad you got the images back. Let that be a lesson everyone, hard drive are cheap, no reason not to have several.

Canon 40D w/ BG-E2N Grip| 400mm f/5.6L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS | 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 | Gitzo GT3541LS w/ RRS BH-55

RedHerringHack
22 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 11, 2014 18:29 |  #50

Put the drive in a ziplock, inside a ziplock (double bag it) and stick it in your freezer for a day. It might run long enough to get your data. It worked for me ONCE out of several drives. Otherwise, off to the best data recovery house you can find. Spend whatever you have to. Don't go cheap. Keep your priceless photos in several different places on several different drives. Do not use optical media. It is temporary. Go tape, it is still the most reliable that there is. I have 30 and 40 year old tape that is still 100%. Low tech, sure, but low tech works.

RedHerringHack
22 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 11, 2014 18:33 |  #51

burnaz wrote in post #16584431 (external link)
$1600

Priceless > 1600. Glad you got your files back.

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 11, 2014 20:15 |  #52

RedHerringHack wrote in post #16597616 (external link)
Do not use optical media. It is temporary.

That was a big wild card there. I have large numbers of optical disks that are still readable 10-15 years later. The oldest disks must be about 20 years now.

The life span really depends a lot on the media brand - too much people pick up the cheapest disks at the superstore and then wonder why they get issues with their disks. Better burners also allows the error bit rate to be checked, to make sure that the burner and media likes each other so half the correction bits aren't consumed directly from day one.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

sponsored links

7,162 views & 0 likes for this thread
Worst feeing in the world!!!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.