Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 10 Jan 2014 (Friday) 22:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Time lapse with TC-80n3

cneedelman
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jan 10, 2014 22:42 |  #1

I'm trying to do a simple time lapse with the Canon controller and a 5D II and following the directions I can get the controller to start counting down using a :02 interval but the shutter doesn't fire. I dont need to set the number of frames or the lenght of time. I just want to start it and stop it manually. Is there a step by step procedure for setting up this controller or should I just find a 12 yr old to show me what I'm doing wrong.

sponsored links
RileyNZL
612 posts
Gallery: 121 photos
Joined Apr 2013

Jan 11, 2014 08:31 |  #2

cneedelman wrote in post #16595725 (external link)
I'm trying to do a simple time lapse with the Canon controller and a 5D II and following the directions I can get the controller to start counting down using a :02 interval but the shutter doesn't fire. I dont need to set the number of frames or the lenght of time. I just want to start it and stop it manually. Is there a step by step procedure for setting up this controller or should I just find a 12 yr old to show me what I'm doing wrong.

I don't have any experience with this particular timer, but is it possible the function you set was the delay. eg time before timlapse starts? You may also need to set a frame count, often there is a particular setting for continues frames.

Last think I can think of is check the cable.

Hope you get it figured out,

Riley

Canon 1Dx |Canon 6D|Canon 24-70 F2.8 L MkII|Canon 16-35 F4 L|Sigma 70-200 F2.8 EX OS|Canon 400mm f5.6 L|Sigma 50mm F1.4|Canon 600EX's|Gitzo Explorer Tripod|

HuskyKMA
"Now what?"
1,749 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 12, 2014 00:17 |  #3

Not exactly sure what you're trying to do because you say "time lapse" but then say you don't need a specific number of frames or length of time. Are you just trying to do a self-timer and delay the shot?

If you set the "Self" setting to 00:00:02, with all other settings a 0, and then press the Start button, it should countdown 2 seconds and take a single shot.

Canon 40D w/ BG-E2N Grip| 400mm f/5.6L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS | 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 | Gitzo GT3541LS w/ RRS BH-55

RileyNZL
612 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Jan 12, 2014 13:50 |  #4

HuskyKMA wrote in post #16598453 (external link)
Not exactly sure what you're trying to do because you say "time lapse" but then say you don't need a specific number of frames or length of time. Are you just trying to do a self-timer and delay the shot?

If you set the "Self" setting to 00:00:02, with all other settings a 0, and then press the Start button, it should countdown 2 seconds and take a single shot.

I'm guessing a time lapse but wants to stop it manually rather than set a specific amount of time/frames for it to run for.

Canon 1Dx |Canon 6D|Canon 24-70 F2.8 L MkII|Canon 16-35 F4 L|Sigma 70-200 F2.8 EX OS|Canon 400mm f5.6 L|Sigma 50mm F1.4|Canon 600EX's|Gitzo Explorer Tripod|

cneedelman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jan 12, 2014 20:26 as a reply to  @ RileyNZL's post |  #5

Let's say I'm trying to do a time lapse of a sunset at a location that I'm at. I'm egoing to start it and wait until the sun sets, then stop. So I don't need to set a time or number of frames. I just want to set a 2 frame interval and hit start which is what I've done. The controller counts down from 2 continuously, but the camera doesn't fire. I know the cable works because I can manually fire the shutter. I'm missing a step somewhere. I'm only setting the interval at :02 and then start.

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jan 12, 2014 20:53 |  #6

Sure you're actually in Time Lapse mode? Got the "zebra bars" in the mode part of the display panel? If you do, it should fire immediately, when you press "Start-Stop" then at the interval you selected until you hit the "Start-Stop button again. Gotta be in Single Shot on the camera too.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

S_Egbert
224 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jan 12, 2014 21:07 |  #7

Make sure the frame count is "00" and that you are in the interval mode. It should fire the first frame immediately when you press the start/stop button. (not the big shutter button)
I don't have this unit but just downloaded the manual to try to help.

Steve

cneedelman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jan 12, 2014 21:25 |  #8

Thanks for all the replys. I do have the frame count at 00. The only setting I'm putting in is the interval and I'm not starting with the large button. I'll try and play with it some more when I get to the office next week.

RileyNZL
612 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Jan 13, 2014 13:40 |  #9

Did you buy it online or from a physical store, if the later you could go back to them with you camera and see if they can figure it out, maybe you got a faulty one?

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jan 13, 2014 16:11 |  #10

Does the remote work in single-shot mode? It may just not be making contact with the pins if it doesn't. And could you post a photo of the LCD on yours, so we can see what the settings are?

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

cneedelman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jan 13, 2014 17:12 as a reply to  @ Jon's post |  #11

The remote does work in single shot. I'm on location this week with another camera system, but'll eventually post a picture of the LCD. Thanks

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jan 13, 2014 18:19 |  #12

Oh, and you might change the battery - mine (with the original, 10 year old battery) works fine in the "light-duty" timer mode, but when I switch to Intervalometer, I get a battery warning; I swapped in a "no-name" CR2032 from a 5-pack I picked up 2-3 years ago and while it worked in the timer mode, it just went blank in Intervalometer.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels

cneedelman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jan 13, 2014 19:40 |  #13

Thanks, brand new battery

cneedelman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jan 15, 2014 17:17 |  #14

I was able to get the Canon time lapse controller to finally work by putting a value in the long exposure setting. It didn't seem to affect the manual exposure that I'd set on the camera. I Also have a 3rd party controller that I tried and it worked with just the interval setting, so much easier. That will be my go to and I'll use the Canon as back up.

sponsored links

2,169 views & 0 likes for this thread
Time lapse with TC-80n3
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.