Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 09 Jan 2014 (Thursday) 19:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Prime portrait lens for Canon 70D

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,251 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 10, 2014 10:57 |  #16

Andrew Hoang Photography wrote in post #16592694 (external link)
I've heard that the 50mm 1.4's AF motor dies out really quickly (within 1-2 years). This is the only thing that has kept me from buying this lens.

Shhhhhhh! Don't tell my ten year old, well used 50/1.4!

Many people feel the fragility of the 50/1.4's AF mechanism (which costs about $160 US to have repaired), is mostly due to two things: hard knocks on the focus ring or front barrel, or overriding the AF manually. There are solutions for both.

Use the matching lens hood. When shooting, it nicely protects the front barrel from accidental bumps. When storing the lens with the hood reversed, it covers and protects the focus ring from getting a hard knock.

The lens is a USM model (fast, accurate focusing), but actually it's a hybrid form of USM and unlike "true" USM doesn't seem to be safe to manually override focus without first turning off AF at the switch. Some users reported doing so seems to accelerate wear and tear on the mechanisms.

My 50/1.4 has always been used with the hood and I have little reason to override it's focus manually, so maybe these are why it's had a long, happy life.

I find my 50/1.4 usable but slightly soft wide open. It sharpens up very nicely by f2 or f2.2, so I usually stop it down just a little, though if needed I'll use it wide open. AF performance is about equal to my 85/1.8.

However if you are still worried about the Canon, there is always the Sigma 50/1.4 as an alternative. They've just announced a new "Art" version will be available soon, which I'm sure will be possible to attach to the USB dock and adjust, if needed (focus calibration has been the biggest issue with Sigma lenses).

The Sigma is quite possibly sharper than the Canon wide open. But it's a little more expensive and a lot larger and heavier. It uses a ridiculously large 77mm filter (compared to 58mm on the Canon). Some like the bokeh of the Sigma a little better (it's got 9 blades, vs 8 blades in the Canon), but I personally don't see a whole lot of difference.

You need a 50mm lens for your purposes. Get the Canon or the Sigma.... and stop worrying!

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

sponsored links
lens ­ pirate
Goldmember
1,643 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 10, 2014 17:21 |  #17

The 35mm F2 IS USM is spectacular. Much cheaper than the L and has IS. You buy this and the 85 F1.8 for less than the 35L.

INSANE GEAR LIST
Sun flare.... the new selective color. JUST SAY NO

moltengold
Goldmember
4,296 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jan 10, 2014 17:37 |  #18

Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC HSM Art

http://www.the-digital-picture.com …4-DC-HSM-Lens-Review.aspx (external link)

| Canon EOS | and some canon lenses

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,664 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jan 11, 2014 01:14 |  #19

amfoto1 wrote in post #16594034 (external link)
Shhhhhhh! Don't tell my ten year old, well used 50/1.4!

Many people feel the fragility of the 50/1.4's AF mechanism (which costs about $160 US to have repaired), is mostly due to two things: hard knocks on the focus ring or front barrel, or overriding the AF manually. There are solutions for both.

Use the matching lens hood. When shooting, it nicely protects the front barrel from accidental bumps. When storing the lens with the hood reversed, it covers and protects the focus ring from getting a hard knock.

The lens is a USM model (fast, accurate focusing), but actually it's a hybrid form of USM and unlike "true" USM doesn't seem to be safe to manually override focus without first turning off AF at the switch. Some users reported doing so seems to accelerate wear and tear on the mechanisms.

My 50/1.4 has always been used with the hood and I have little reason to override it's focus manually, so maybe these are why it's had a long, happy life.

I find my 50/1.4 usable but slightly soft wide open. It sharpens up very nicely by f2 or f2.2, so I usually stop it down just a little, though if needed I'll use it wide open. AF performance is about equal to my 85/1.8.

It certainly has nothing to do with the AF/MF switch. It has everything to do with any knocks at all when it is extended out. Always store it with the barrel set back into the body a bit or all the way.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Andrew ­ Hoang ­ Photography
THREAD ­ STARTER
24 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Jan 11, 2014 14:27 |  #20

Ok so currently I have decided on buying the 35L once I find the right one at the right price. My current dilemma is now whether the price difference is worth it over getting a Sigma. Being that a used Sigma 35 1.4 costs around $700-$800 and a used Canon costs around $850-$1100, is the hype of the Sigma true and in fact better than the Canon? Or should I stick to the Canon? I'd much rather stick to Canon, but from reading reviews and looking further into the lens, I have started to debate over the 2 lenses

flickr (external link)
Canon 70D | Fujifilm X100S | 24-105L |70-200L II | 35L | 85 1.8 |

artyH
Goldmember
2,110 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 12, 2014 08:50 |  #21

I have the Canon 35F2 IS on my 60D and use it for portraits and general use. It is a very sharp lens. If you want F1.4, then you have a few good choices. I personally would not get the Sigma used. You are likely to need the dock to calibrate it properly. If there is an AF problem with the Sigma and your camera, the used lens may not come with a good warranty. AF is likely to be faster on the Canon as well.
Your decision should be influenced by size, weight, price, optical attributes, etc. there isn't a simple answer here. Photozone gave the Sigma a fantastic review on full frame, but not crop. Here, the Canon F1.4 and F2IS did better.
I prefer lighter lenses, I wanted IS, and lower cost. There are situations where apertures faster than F2 would be useful, e.g. Very low light, but there are more times when I would like to have IS.
Your priorities matter the most. I think that fast and accurate AF is important, and that helped sell me on the 35F2 IS. If you want more control over depth of field and want to make it more shallow, you might want F1.4. I tend to want a longer focal length than 35mm to get shallow depth of field.

THREAD ­ STARTER
24 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Jan 12, 2014 09:17 |  #22

artyH wrote in post #16598959 (external link)
I have the Canon 35F2 IS on my 60D and use it for portraits and general use. It is a very sharp lens. If you want F1.4, then you have a few good choices. I personally would not get the Sigma used. You are likely to need the dock to calibrate it properly. If there is an AF problem with the Sigma and your camera, the used lens may not come with a good warranty. AF is likely to be faster on the Canon as well.
Your decision should be influenced by size, weight, price, optical attributes, etc. there isn't a simple answer here. Photozone gave the Sigma a fantastic review on full frame, but not crop. Here, the Canon F1.4 and F2IS did better.
I prefer lighter lenses, I wanted IS, and lower cost. There are situations where apertures faster than F2 would be useful, e.g. Very low light, but there are more times when I would like to have IS.
Your priorities matter the most. I think that fast and accurate AF is important, and that helped sell me on the 35F2 IS. If you want more control over depth of field and want to make it more shallow, you might want F1.4. I tend to want a longer focal length than 35mm to get shallow depth of field.

Great information thank you! I do some couples sessions so I need something a little bit wide but if I need to, can use it for one person. Lot's of times I'll be inside in about candlelit settings, so f/1.4 would really help over f/2 as sometimes with family gatherings you want to stop motion, so a faster shutter speed would be more helpful than IS. I'm pretty sold on the 35mm 1.4. Thanks guys!

flickr (external link)

grayline
247 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Jan 12, 2014 12:59 |  #23

Andrew Hoang Photography wrote in post #16592694 (external link)
I've heard that the 50mm 1.4's AF motor dies out really quickly (within 1-2 years). This is the only thing that has kept me from buying this lens.

The 100mm FL is a little long for what I want to do.

Sigma Corrected the Glide Motor Failier years ago the motor warranted was from around 2008-2009 all the current lenses are fine.This Lens is Amazing..

Gear List :EOS 70D ,Sigma 50mm 1.4,Tamron 18-270, Canon 18-55,Canon HFM31,Canon SX280HS,Olympus E-10 ,

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,664 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jan 12, 2014 13:38 |  #24

grayline wrote in post #16599538 (external link)
Sigma Corrected the Glide Motor Failier years ago the motor warranted was from around 2008-2009 all the current lenses are fine.This Lens is Amazing..

They were talking about the Canon one, I believe.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

blueskyoveraquatic
120 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 12, 2014 23:23 |  #25

Have you considered to buy a FF (6D or 5DM3 or 1Dx) to use with your existing lenses?

Canon 40D / 1DM3 / 1Dx / 400mm f/2.8 II / AlienBee B400 / AlienBee 22" Beauty Dish / EF 1.4x Extender / PocketWizard Plus III
Websites: flickr (external link)

THREAD ­ STARTER
24 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Jan 12, 2014 23:37 |  #26

blueskyoveraquatic wrote in post #16600919 (external link)
Have you considered to buy a FF (6D or 5DM3 or 1Dx) to use with your existing lenses?

Yes I have. The problem is that camera bodies go obsolete pretty quickly while lenses do not. My 70D has already dropped $200 in price, and it's only been out since around mid August. I considered the 6D, especially since prices have dropped incredibly low, but I'd rather invest in more lenses then move up to full frame later. I'm perfectly happy with the performance of my 70D.

flickr (external link)

sponsored links

5,327 views & 0 likes for this thread
Prime portrait lens for Canon 70D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.