Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 16 Dec 2013 (Monday) 10:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Bride Unhappy with Photos: ADVICE PLEASE

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,590 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Jan 11, 2014 21:28 |  #121

AlFooteIII wrote in post #16597704 (external link)
It's over. No more time should be spent on this, unless they feel like going through the hassle of taking you to court.

This!

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 16 1.4 - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

sponsored links
bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jan 11, 2014 22:24 |  #122

stefesphoto wrote in post #16597667 (external link)
I will be calling the bride tomorrow, telling her that if this matter is to be resolved, it needs to be done between the two of us and done by a certain time...

That is the only thing you should do at this point. And if she continues to play games with you, then you should tell her to go f*%k herself.

You've gone above and beyond. If she doesn't respond, then it's time to move on.

Cheers,
Bryan

My Gear List

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,640 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 12, 2014 00:10 |  #123

sapearl wrote in post #16598077 (external link)
Already way too many emails here..........that's one of the problems that's been dragging this out for months; client has been hiding behind them.

Then she needs to record the phone call somehow. There needs to be proof, especially of this final conversation/email and especially seeing as how the WC is back in the picture. There cannot be any he said/she said crap. Not sure what the rules are in the US though.

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 12, 2014 00:18 |  #124

Make sure you take a witness to any and all meetings, should they occur. Not just to observe the meeting itself but, if necessary, to testify that it was the client who didn't show rather than the photographer.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 12, 2014 00:19 |  #125

Oh and save ALL your emails, particularly the ones that mention photoshop and usage and the $200 blackmail.

Don't mention the blackmail - keep that in your back pocket. Give the BRIDE exactly 5 business days to choose ANY ONE date during the week at least one week from the date you reply. Tell her that is her one and only opportunity to resolve this in person before it goes to court. If she doesn't show up for that meeting that SHE chose, tell her that her opportunities to resolve things have dried up and she must use the legal system. YOU choose the meeting location close to your home and very public...Starbucks, etc. Buy something there when you arrive and keep the receipt. Wait a couple hours. Buy something else and keep that receipt too. Pay with a credit or debit card if you can. Then go home. It will prove you showed up on that date. It won't prove you were there specifically to meet her but between the date & time the bride chose in the email and your dated receipts for your lattes, it'll be pretty solid evidence that you made the effort and she did not.

Keep it to EMAIL at this point. This person doesn't want a real solution so keep it in black & white. Print out all emails. Staple them together chronologically or reverse chronologically and put them in a safe place.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

Phil ­ V
Goldmember
1,977 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jan 12, 2014 05:40 |  #126

The answer to the phone call vs email quandary is this:

Phone her, make an arrangement, and tell her you're clarifying by email. Then after the call you can email her with a summary of the agreement.

But make sure you have clarified this is the final opportunity.

Gear List
website: South Yorkshire Wedding photographer in Doncaster (external link)
Twitter (external link)Facebook (external link)

stefesphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
40 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Jan 12, 2014 07:35 as a reply to  @ Phil V's post |  #127

Ok, now I'm seeing what the problem with my photos truly is with the bride.

She had mentioned that some of the photos were not edited at all, which is not the case. I edit all of the images individually- color correcting, white balance, skin corrections, etc.

Well, I checked out the bride's Facebook page this morning and she has finally put some of my pictures up. And I am not happy.

What she wanted from me was to change her into a completely different person, which I'm obviously not in the business of doing.

Her profile picture is basically a cartoon/glamour shot version of one of the pictures I took of her and her husband. Its cropped to her face only; an inordinate amount of blush has been added. Lipstick. Her skin is smoothed to resemble a porcelain doll. Her eyes have been reshaped or something. Her teeth have been reshaped and look like they have been colored over with a white paintbrush. And not to mention the god awful vignette!

Now I'm just kind of mad. Is there honestly any reason to meet with her at this point? They've taken it into their own hands to "fix" any problems they had. Any re-edits I offer at this point obviously aren't going to match up to theirs. Refund is out. Pictures have been used for print and social media.

I'm thinking of calling her and telling her just that then emailing her to back it up.

However, I'm done stressing over this! And thanks everyone for your advice. It has really helped me out a lot!

I'll update everyone on how the phone call goes and maybe this thread can finally be closed! :)

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
16,285 posts
Gallery: 148 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 12, 2014 07:39 |  #128

Sounds good - just do it and move on!;)

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

stefesphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
40 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Jan 12, 2014 07:41 |  #129

Also, should I email the WC and let her know I have now seen her edits and have them saved and that it is a violation of the copyright law and illegal?! And send her a copy of the law?

P51Mstg
Goldmember
1,336 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jan 12, 2014 08:19 |  #130

Just tell the wedding planner she violated copyright law and you are contacting an attorney. If SHE wants to read the law let her look it up. That is going to put her on YOUR side to end this mess... If you lived anywhere near me, I'd love to go to the meeting......

Mark H

Too Much Camera Stuff......

tomj
649 posts
Joined May 2010

Jan 12, 2014 09:18 as a reply to  @ P51Mstg's post |  #131

"Also, should I email the WC and let her know I have now seen her edits and have them saved and that it is a violation of the copyright law and illegal?! And send her a copy of the law?"

At this point I would just put this behind me. There's not enough money involved to pursue this, you'll never make the bride happy, and you're just stressing yourself out. Learn what you can from this and move on.

Flickr (external link)

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,590 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Jan 12, 2014 13:18 |  #132

Move on.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 16 1.4 - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

grayline
247 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Jan 12, 2014 13:31 |  #133

FarmerTed1971 wrote in post #16599568 (external link)
Move on.

I agree I would not keep going back and forth be at a professional level and quit correspondence immediatly...

Gear List :EOS 70D ,Sigma 50mm 1.4,Tamron 18-270, Canon 18-55,Canon HFM31,Canon SX280HS,Olympus E-10 ,

adza77
652 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 12, 2014 20:05 |  #134

stefesphoto wrote in post #16598851 (external link)
Also, should I email the WC and let her know I have now seen her edits and have them saved and that it is a violation of the copyright law and illegal?! And send her a copy of the law?

Is there a possibility that this could provoke them and have the opposite effect? ie: If they're ready to let it go - but then think they're going to be taken to court with a case against them - that they might counter attack first?

it seems to me you have a few options:

a) On the back foot: Accept being ripped off, pay them $200 and forget about it. (Possibly opening up doors to have this happen again and again). No one wants to see this happen - but it is an option.

b) On the neutral: Do what others have said and don't back down - cease communication and see where it goes

c) On the offensive: Let them know you mean business.

If you wanting to take any action on the offensive, my suggestion would be to get proper legal advise first, as taking legal advise from a forum could end up costing you a lot more than $200 if things get nasty and you do it the wrong way.

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. - Abraham Lincoln

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jan 12, 2014 20:59 |  #135

grayline wrote in post #16599584 (external link)
I agree I would not keep going back and forth be at a professional level and quit correspondence immediatly...

Truthfully, this is the best advice and probably what you should do to protect your reputation.

Bryan

My Gear List

sponsored links

25,664 views & 1 like for this thread
Bride Unhappy with Photos: ADVICE PLEASE
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.