Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 23 Aug 2013 (Friday) 17:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

G16--Please post your photos

fishingjts
984 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Jan 06, 2014 07:23 |  #31

One of the main reasons i bought the G16... for those quick and easy snapshots! ;)

Working from home today... just grabbed the G16 off the desk for a quick snap...

IMAGE: http://www.johnnystacks.com/gallery/d/27762-1/turbo_rough_life.jpg

5D Mark II Gripped | 24-105L | 70-200L F2.8 IS II | 430EX | G16

sponsored links
Two
313 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 12, 2014 20:09 |  #32

These two are SOOC except for some cropping. I programmed 'my colors' custom to where I thought it would work best. I also enabled 'DR correction' and set it to 200. Good lighting would have help tremendously.

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/two/image/154115193/original.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/two/image/154115195/original.jpg

Two
313 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 12, 2014 20:12 |  #33

These two were shot in R+JPEG. I didn't like the jpegs at all. With R+JPEG selected, 'my colors' is disabled. So, RAW files processed in Lightroom. Some cropping. Lighting was a little better.

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/two/image/154114833/original.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/two/image/154114834/original.jpg

Not bad for a "Point & Shoot"?

fishingjts
984 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Jan 13, 2014 07:39 |  #34

Nice stuff! I need to get out and shoot a bit more with the G16... LOL

5D Mark II Gripped | 24-105L | 70-200L F2.8 IS II | 430EX | G16

Gobeatty
513 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Jan 13, 2014 14:27 as a reply to  @ fishingjts's post |  #35

Two -

What's bugging me a tad with your bike shots is the white parts - highlights - seem blown out. Do the files you see show this or is it an artifact of how the images are posted on the forum?

6D | 35 f2 | 50 1.8 | 85 1.8 | 28 - 135 f3.5 - 5.6 | 70-210 f4

Two
313 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 13, 2014 18:47 |  #36

Gobeatty wrote in post #16602391 (external link)
Two -

What's bugging me a tad with your bike shots is the white parts - highlights - seem blown out. Do the files you see show this or is it an artifact of how the images are posted on the forum?

The first two photos (the landscape ones with riders on the ground) are jpegs sooc and yes, lightroom shows clipping of the highlights. The second two photos (the portrait ones with riders in the air) do not show clipping in lightroom. As you can see in this screenshot, even the original RAW file has very little clipping (I exposed at -1/3 stop during capture):

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/two/image/154125218/original.jpg

Any advice that you can offer to help make my pictures better is highly appreciated. If those second two pix look like the highlights are blown, something might not be right artistically despite the data showing otherwise.

Thanks for looking,

Tony.

Gobeatty
513 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Jan 13, 2014 20:58 as a reply to  @ Two's post |  #37

Thanx for checking! Highlights blowing early is something I associate with P&S photos, so wasn't too surprised to see it from the otherwise excellent small sensor camera, although you wrote it was overcast (low contrast). I'm viewing on an iPad3, which has a reputation for being a high quality monitor, but I didn't check any data. It may also be the way the forum software is compressing or otherwise displaying the photos.

Two
313 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 14, 2014 11:27 |  #38

Hey, no problem on digging into this. I'm highly motivated to get better shots and any help I can get is appreciated. Seems like sometimes folks don't like to help. So,thanks.

Anywho, I also use an iPad3 to do much of my viewing and reviewing. Excellent screen! As for the forum monkeying with my photos, I'm doubtful as the images are linked to my pbase site where they are stored. In the future, I'll try underexposing some more and see how that works.

I am beginning to agree that this is a very nice P&S camera. Previously, I had an S90 as my 'pocket camera'. (I normally shoot with a 1DMK4 and an assortment of lenses). I was not at all happy with the s90 picture quality as well as a couple of other items. The G16 is a much better camera IMHO. I am really enjoying it.

Gobeatty
513 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Jan 14, 2014 12:19 |  #39

Two wrote in post #16604833 (external link)
Hey, no problem on digging into this. I'm highly motivated to get better shots and any help I can get is appreciated. Seems like sometimes folks don't like to help. So,thanks.

Anywho, I also use an iPad3 to do much of my viewing and reviewing. Excellent screen! As for the forum monkeying with my photos, I'm doubtful as the images are linked to my pbase site where they are stored. In the future, I'll try underexposing some more and see how that works.

I am beginning to agree that this is a very nice P&S camera. Previously, I had an S90 as my 'pocket camera'. (I normally shoot with a 1DMK4 and an assortment of lenses). I was not at all happy with the s90 picture quality as well as a couple of other items. The G16 is a much better camera IMHO. I am really enjoying it.

Thanks! I am close to pulling the trigger, but wonder if I can just continue with my current plan of carrying just the 6D with 35 f2 when I want to go lite. So much of casual shooting I do is indoors/low light, and the 6D/35 combo is (relatively) light and way more low-light capable than any compact. The compacts do have a flash and the ISO can be turned up to 800 or 1600 to make that tiny flash more useful.

Ah, decisions!

rpolitsr
5,978 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Jan 14, 2014 12:29 |  #40

Gobeatty wrote in post #16603442 (external link)
... It may also be the way the forum software is compressing or otherwise displaying the photos.

Two wrote in post #16604833 (external link)
... As for the forum monkeying with my photos, I'm doubtful as the images are linked to my pbase site where they are stored ...

Two is right. The embedded photos are hosted externally, in this case, in Pbase.
The forum software dosn't alter that images in any way. Is the browser in your computer that reads the files in Pbase and display them in your screen.

Attached images are stored in POTN server, however the dimentions in pixels (max.1024) and the file size ( compressed to max. 150KB) are set by the user before uploading them to POTN so neither POTN server nor forum software have an adverse effec on them.

Once AMASS is released, uploading images will be even easier for our members.
Check NEW SOFTWARE "AMASS!" FOR POTN: WHITE PAPER

rafael
Canon EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.
My photo galleries (external link)
Marketplace: PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED IN POTN

Two
313 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 14, 2014 14:08 |  #41

Gobeatty,

I haven't done much in the way of low light testing of the G16. Rest assured, the G16 will
not compare to your 6D. If you're expecting similar results, you will be disappointed. The
G16 is not an SLR. When viewing the jpeg's and raw files at 100%, I can see that the image
is not as clean as what comes out of my 1D. But, using good technique can result in usable
images.

One of the reasons I've been shooting motocross first with this camera is that mx is a very
challenging subject to shoot. I figured that if I could get at least some decent images from
a couple hours worth of shooting, this camera would do well (well for a p&s) in most other
situations. Next up on the testing schedule is landscapes, macros and some of my pets.

Just for kicks, I mounted my 600ex-rt flash on the G16. Looked odd, but worked fine.
Not sure if I'll ever do so in an effort to photograph anything for real. I was only looking to
see if and how it would work :-D

Two
313 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 15, 2014 13:02 |  #42

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/two/image/154141987/original.jpg

trailguy
449 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 15, 2014 16:45 |  #43

Gobeatty wrote in post #16604958 (external link)
Thanks! I am close to pulling the trigger, but wonder if I can just continue with my current plan of carrying just the 6D with 35 f2 when I want to go lite. So much of casual shooting I do is indoors/low light, and the 6D/35 combo is (relatively) light and way more low-light capable than any compact. The compacts do have a flash and the ISO can be turned up to 800 or 1600 to make that tiny flash more useful.

Ah, decisions!

Blown out highlights such as those shown will be blown out on a DSLR also. The sheer sun coming off those areas will have no detail, or perhaps a little if you lowered exposure to make everything else much too dark.

Perfectionism is the highest form of self-abuse
"Best wide-angle lens? Two steps backward"
Ernst Hass 1952

dtw757
674 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 21, 2014 01:08 as a reply to  @ trailguy's post |  #44

Stitched in photoshop panorama

IMAGE: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3782/12036340146_6c4c9be9a8_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …31182650@N08/12​036340146/  (external link) Dreamlifter (external link) by stuart.mike (external link), on Flickr

Canon5DMKIII, Canon 70D EF 24-105 f/4, EF 100-400L f/4-5.6 , EF 70-200L MKII f/2.8, EF 40mm f/2.8 G16
http://http ….com/photos/311​82650@N08/ (external link)

gug
355 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Jan 21, 2014 06:32 |  #45

OK, I have a G12 and get a G16 on Thursday. I have primarily shot my pics in P mode. I don't use TV or AV at all. I use most other functions in the camera and of course periodically I use M mode. What is the consensus here? Is this a good choice? Or would I be better off in another mode?

sponsored links

72,828 views & 65 likes for this thread
G16--Please post your photos
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.