Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 08 Jan 2014 (Wednesday) 10:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I'll pay if I like your photos...

Sandzat
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Jan 09, 2014 00:56 |  #76

Matt M. wrote in post #16588106 (external link)
Dear ______;

I thought about your ideas. I've had several poor experiences with customers in the past, and as a result, I'm more than a bit cautious. I would normally allow you to pay full price when the terms of my contract are fulfilled, but, in light of your preposterous belief that I should work at a discount because you hired a cut-rate photographer once, I would prefer that you pay full price before I agree to shoot a single photo. If I'm really impressed with my own work from that day, I'd like to charge you more than full price after the shoot is over. Does that sound fair?

Sincerely,

LOL! Love this response!! :D

Canon EOS 7D / Canon Kiss Digital Rebel XTi / Tamron 17-50 mm f2.8 / Canon 50 mm f2.8 / Tamron AF 70 - 300 mm f4-5.6 VC / Canon Speedlite 430 EX II

sponsored links
OhLook
Spiderwoman
18,517 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 09, 2014 01:54 |  #77

Sandzat, the OP already sent a reply to the woman who wanted photos. Those were (or are?) to commemorate an engagement, not a wedding. Posts after the first one brought out these details.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 09, 2014 06:20 |  #78

"That would be perfectly acceptable if I was stupid."

Or

"Well you're in luck, because I do not provide poor experiences! I look forward to your payment in full!"

:-D

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

Sandzat
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Jan 10, 2014 22:51 as a reply to  @ cdifoto's post |  #79

In response to:
OhLook: Sandzat, the OP already sent a reply to the woman who wanted photos. Those were (or are?) to commemorate an engagement, not a wedding. Posts after the first one brought out these details.

You are right, OhLook, the photos were not for a wedding. I overlooked that fact in my haste to think of a proper response to the prospective client. Thanks for pointing that out... :oops:

That said, I read the responses everybody gave and yet thought it would be a good idea to post my opinion also for somebody who looks at these posts some day and wonders if there is any other way to reply professionally (of course with modified wording as per the situation).

Canon EOS 7D / Canon Kiss Digital Rebel XTi / Tamron 17-50 mm f2.8 / Canon 50 mm f2.8 / Tamron AF 70 - 300 mm f4-5.6 VC / Canon Speedlite 430 EX II

Sandzat
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Jan 10, 2014 22:56 |  #80

cdifoto wrote in post #16590510 (external link)
"That would be perfectly acceptable if I was stupid."

Or

"Well you're in luck, because I do not provide poor experiences! I look forward to your payment in full!"

:-D

Great response! Very matter of fact! :lol:

brianodom
672 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jan 11, 2014 08:19 |  #81

int0xicatedxluv wrote in post #16588130 (external link)
Whew! mission accomplished :)

I'm getting better at stepping back, and not letting my immediate emotions rule my responses lol

HA :p

Canon EOS 5DsR - 6D - 70D|Canon 17-40L|Σ 35mm 1.4|Tammy 24-70 |Σ 70-200 2.8 and 35mm Art
YONGNUO YN 568 Speedlight X3|
Portfolio: web: www.mattodomphotograph​y.com + Instagram:www.instagra​m.com/mattodomphoto/ + FB: Matt Odom Photography

photoguy6405
Cream of the Crop
5,306 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 11, 2014 20:56 |  #82

int0xicatedxluv wrote in post #16588021 (external link)
Well. This is a new one for me.

I was contacted yesterday by a gal looking for immediate engagement photos for this weekend. I told her I was available, and she came back with this :

<b>

I talked to my fiancé a bit more about your services. We had a poor experience with a photo session before so we are just a bit cautious. We are willing to pay full price for the session if we are 100% satisfied with the photos. However if we are not satisfied maybe then we can talk discounts. Does that sound fair? We are getting my ring sized this Friday so I think next weekend would work best for us. Please let us know if you are still available. Thank you so much!

Best,

</b>

I am literally stumped.
I want to reply back something professional, while I really want to reply back with some choice words about how ballsy of a request this is…:confused:

Instead though, I’m coming to you guys for some help on how to approach this in the most professional manner.

Thank you!

How come business owners never get to cite the bad experiences they've had with customers?

Website: Iowa Landscape Photography (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear List & Feedback
Equipment For Sale: Canon PowerShot A95

Somebloke
633 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Jan 12, 2014 00:37 |  #83

How come OPs in threads like this always dissapeer...or have I missed the response?

monkey44
726 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Jan 12, 2014 00:59 |  #84

Somebloke wrote in post #16598474 (external link)
How come OPs in threads like this always dissapeer...or have I missed the response?

Happens a lot -

OP asks a question, gets some sort of answer - or not - and doesn't care what anyone thinks, really. Often as not, just dumping some stress ...

ceriltheblade
Goldmember
2,481 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jan 12, 2014 10:39 |  #85

besides the obvious quips here (gut reation from a lot of folks) I have to think that there is never a time that "polite" is not appropriate - even when you don't think you want a specific person/group etc as a client. There are many types of "polite", but just thinking if *I* was the customer asking for something that the provider of services thought was exagerated - I wouldn't want to recieve a snarky response.

if we assume the "best" case scenario - the person REALLY meant what she wrote...maybe she doesn't understand that it is not an acceptable request...
though
if we assume the worst case scenario - it is yet another attempt to scam/cheat etc the photographer of his/her income as a professional.
and in both cases the bottom line will be - "no"
but saying it - especially in print/email can come back and potentially bite you in the rear...but delivering the message politely but still same bottom line - you can only gain ... or at least not lose....

my 2 cents
from a different non - photography based business with multiple clients

7D/5dIII
50 1.8 II, MP-E65, 85 II, 100 IS
8-15 FE, 10-22, 16-35 IS, 24-105, 70-200 f4IS, 100-400 ii, tamron 28-75 2.8
600 ex-rt, 055xproB/488rc2/Sirui k40x, kenko extens tubes

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,639 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 12, 2014 11:23 |  #86

ceriltheblade wrote in post #16599171 (external link)
if we assume the "best" case scenario - the person REALLY meant what she wrote...maybe she doesn't understand that it is not an acceptable request...

But its pretty hard to satisfy someone who is already in the mindset that they could be unsatisfied.

And it should be common sense that their request is not acceptable. I'm sure they would never go into a restaurant and say "We've had bad experiences at restaurants. We are going to order and only pay full price if we are satisfied".

I have had non-photography related clients like this before and stupidly I played their "game" and agreed to something similar and the complaints they had so they didn't have to pay full pop very ridiculous at best.

ceriltheblade
Goldmember
2,481 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jan 12, 2014 11:29 |  #87

you are right, of course, and I wasn't trying to indicate that you should agree to the request even if it was the "best case scenario". Rather I meant to put it that saying "no" in a polite way (almost) never is a bad thing. I agree full-heartedly that the end message should be as discussed here - that the photographer should not agree to the potential clients terms.

i personally like both the OPs answer as well as the answer offered by Sandzat - polite, firm, but open still in case the potential client changes their mind.

7D/5dIII
50 1.8 II, MP-E65, 85 II, 100 IS
8-15 FE, 10-22, 16-35 IS, 24-105, 70-200 f4IS, 100-400 ii, tamron 28-75 2.8
600 ex-rt, 055xproB/488rc2/Sirui k40x, kenko extens tubes

kenwood33
Goldmember
2,595 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jan 12, 2014 13:30 |  #88

A few years ago I met a couple who 'hired' several photographers with similar condition (no money if not 100% satisfied) for engagement sessions. In the end only one photographer got paid. They brag in front of me on how smart their approach were.

Gearlist

photoguy6405
Cream of the Crop
5,306 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 12, 2014 13:38 |  #89

kenwood33 wrote in post #16599582 (external link)
A few years ago I met a couple who 'hired' several photographers with similar condition (no money if not 100% satisfied) for engagement sessions. In the end only one photographer got paid. They brag in front of me on how smart their approach were.

I can think of only one scenario as a photographer where that would be acceptable to me. If I were brand new in the business and had zero promotional shots, and they signed a consent form allowing me to use them for promotional purposes regardless whether they liked them or not. Then... maybe.

Website: Iowa Landscape Photography (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear List & Feedback
Equipment For Sale: Canon PowerShot A95

Flores
Goldmember
1,179 posts
Joined May 2010

Jan 12, 2014 21:26 |  #90

"Hi, thanks for your interest. I do have a pricing model that works the way you like, it's called a 'spec' shoot, where I show up to shoot an event, and the client only pays for the images they like. I have to warn you though, that due to the additional risk, the image prices are roughly 5x the pre-paid engagement price. Depending on how many of the images you like, it could get very expensive for you to do it this way, as, for example, single digital images under this format are $995 a piece. Please let me know which billing plan you would like to work under, and I will make the appropriate adjustments to your expectations with regard to your expected spend. Thanks again for your interest!"

So, yes, we can do it your way, you are just not going to get a deal if we do. :)

sponsored links

9,853 views & 0 likes for this thread
I'll pay if I like your photos...
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.