Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 10 Jan 2014 (Friday) 00:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What kind of items would you recommend for a newbie photographer?

PhotosGuy
Cream of the Crop
75,941 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Jan 11, 2014 10:32 |  #31

OhLook wrote in post #16596008 (external link)
Here comes Old Wet Blanket with her usual message of skepticism.

How can folks recommend lenses and tripods without knowing what the guy wants to shoot? For that matter, isn't it premature to choose a bag until you have a good idea of how much stuff is going inside it and how big the items are?

Which is what I asked about 20 posts ago. The OP hasn't bothered to come up with an answer.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

sponsored links
OhLook
insufferably pedantic. I can live with that.
19,656 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 11, 2014 11:45 |  #32

PhotosGuy wrote in post #16596627 (external link)
Which is what I asked about 20 posts ago. The OP hasn't bothered to come up with an answer.

I noticed that you asked and everyone sped right past your question. Maybe the OP went to get the answer from his friend.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

AZGeorge
Goldmember
2,645 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 11, 2014 21:31 |  #33

Azathoth wrote in post #16595044 (external link)
Canon T2i/T3/T3i + 18-55 IS + tripod + a good book (or some website recomendations) + warez lightroom copy

that's it.

Do you really want to advocate warez when there are excellent open source editors like the GIMP for those who cannot or would rather not spend the money?

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

NCSA197
Goldmember
1,366 posts
Gallery: 137 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 12, 2014 06:15 |  #34

Phoenixkh wrote in post #16593522 (external link)
You do need a bag and memory cards, I think.

A book that explains the DSLR he/she just purchased would be a good idea. They are usually much better than the manual. One of David Busch's books would be such a recommendation.

I agree with the Understanding Exposure choice.

)

This. Regardless of what you will photograph, this will help. The rest will come in time.

And go take pictures.

Flickr (external link)

sirquack
Goldmember
2,590 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2013

Jan 13, 2014 11:08 |  #35

Scrumhalf wrote in post #16595120 (external link)
For a forum populated by people engaged in a creative endeavor and justifiably upset by copyright violations, recommending "warez" is doubly inappropriate.

I already put Azathoth on my ignore list. Anyone who would advocate warez is not someone I want to listen to no matter what.

Name is Ron.
Bodies - 6D/5D3/7D2-Gripped
Lenses - Canon 17-40 F4/24-70 F2.8 II/85 F1.8/Canon 70-200 F2.8 II/F4/Sigma 30 DC/Tamron 150-600
Website (external link)
Flickr (external link)

madasax
509 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jan 13, 2014 17:00 |  #36

Here is what I have found out with my shooting upgrades -
Like said before - Get the best body you can afford for the style of shooting you will/may end up doing - Use the kit lens and maybe buy a decent prime like a 50 1.8 or 40 2.8 and see if you like primes or zooms before investing heavy into a lens -
Look into renting lenses before you buy - Sure you may think you need a 300mm zoom but if you can try before you buy you might as well.
Get a tripod BUT SPEND a decent amount and get something good - Cheaper Tripods are just that - cheap.
Flash - Flash - Flash ----- Never think of needing a good flash untill you use one and see the difference in being able to bounce light -
Spend wisely......Sure stuff is fun but knowing how to use it correctly is even better.

Current Gear: 70D - Sigma 10-20 F4-5.6 - 24 2.8stm - 50 1.8 stm -

OhLook
insufferably pedantic. I can live with that.
19,656 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 13, 2014 17:28 |  #37

Just wait till the OP comes back and reports that his friend said "I only want to do street. Why did you make me buy that silly tripod?"

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

Brain ­ Mechanic
Goldmember
3,526 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 13, 2014 17:29 |  #38
bannedPermanent ban

OhLook wrote in post #16602880 (external link)
Just wait till the OP comes back and reports that his friend said "I only want to do street. Why did you make me buy that silly tripod?"

Street at night.;)

Gear: a toothed wheel :p
"To be of good quality, you have to excuse yourself from the presence of shallow and callow minded individuals" Michael Bassey Johnson
--Oscar--
flickr (external link)

madasax
509 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jan 13, 2014 17:34 |  #39

Meh......A tripod is always a good thing to have....I dont use mine everyday but there are times when i do use it - Night / Stars / Long exposure day shots / Use it for my flash

Current Gear: 70D - Sigma 10-20 F4-5.6 - 24 2.8stm - 50 1.8 stm -

grayline
247 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Jan 13, 2014 17:37 |  #40

Karl Taylor Photography on DVD is Amazing for Newbies

Gear List :EOS 70D ,Sigma 50mm 1.4,Tamron 18-270, Canon 18-55,Canon HFM31,Canon SX280HS,Olympus E-10 ,

dodgyexposure
Goldmember
2,874 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Jan 13, 2014 20:07 |  #41

OhLook wrote in post #16596008 (external link)
For that matter, isn't it premature to choose a bag until you have a good idea of how much stuff is going inside it and how big the items are?

I don't know about that - my most used bag is the toploader that fits just a body and attached lens, and I bought that with the camera. The second, third (etc.) bags require more research (and gear).:)

Cheers, Damien

sponsored links

3,112 views & 0 likes for this thread
What kind of items would you recommend for a newbie photographer?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.