Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 13 Jan 2014 (Monday) 18:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Rain Cover Needed

picworx
Goldmember
1,146 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jan 13, 2014 18:30 |  #1

I need a rain cover on my 5D and 1D, my largest lens is the 100-400 and I do use it with the 1.4x converter on occasion.

From what I see the Kata and Think Tank seem to be the better choice just don't know how compact and easy to use they might be. None of my local stores have these to try it.

I would like to know what cover you have and the pros and cons?

The Print is What Really Matters

sponsored links
Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,504 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 13, 2014 18:35 |  #2

How often are you expecting to have to use the cover and in how severe of conditions. If you're just looking for something to have in case it rains, the Op-Tech Rain Sleeves are a much more compact and economical solution (http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …18_Rainsleeve_S​et_of.html (external link))

The more permanent solutions are great if you're going to be constantly throwing a cover on and using it that way for a large portion of your shoots; but for incidental storms and such, the Rain Sleeves work fine, even with the 100-400 [I use 'em quite a bit]

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jan 13, 2014 19:04 |  #3

+1.

I have the Kata E-702, but it only comes out when I know I'll be shooting in the rain. It does work with the 100-400, but then I'm usually at or about 400 when I'm out with that, so not likely to slip the lens out of the cover. If you work a lot zipping between 100 and 400 I could see that happening though.

However I keep a couple of RainSleeves living in the bag with my cameras, ready for anything. If I get hit while I want to use something longer than the 100-400, I'll rely on the lens' inherent weather-sealing, or toss a plastic garbage bag over the top.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

Snydremark
18,504 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 13, 2014 19:08 |  #4

Nah, doesn't really happen. You cinch the cover just behind the lens hood and then "pulling" draws everything back and "pushing" moves it back out; it works surprising well.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

Lyle ­ Krannichfeld
397 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 13, 2014 19:46 |  #5

I'm in the exact same scenario...I've also found the Canon ERC-E4S and the Aquatech SS-200 to fit the bill. I own products from all 3 companies (not considering the Kata personally) and just can't decide.

Fine Art Landscape/Wildlife Photographer on Maui: INSTAGRAM (external link) FACEBOOK (external link)
Tonga tours to swim with the Humpbacks: AUMAKUA TOURS (external link)
Sony A7R III, 12-24G, 16-35GM, 50 1.4ZA, 85 1.4GM
DJI Inspire 2 with X7 and 16, 24, 35, 50

picworx
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,146 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jan 13, 2014 20:34 as a reply to  @ Lyle Krannichfeld's post |  #6

I will be using it in sleet and rain and do have some optech plastic sleeves but need something I can use over and over to protect my gear.

The think tank is expensive so I think the Kata 702 looks like the ticket as long as you can slide the 100 out to 400 easily?

Will a tc complicate this product?

The Print is What Really Matters

PhotoGeek
Goldmember
1,120 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 13, 2014 20:38 |  #7

I have two Aquatechs and they have worked well in some really adverse conditions.

1DX, 1DIII, lenses, flashes, wires and stuff
http://jimlanterphotog​raphy.com (external link)

Snydremark
18,504 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 13, 2014 20:38 |  #8

picworx wrote in post #16603362 (external link)
I will be using it in sleet and rain and do have some optech plastic sleeves but need something I can use over and over to protect my gear.

The think tank is expensive so I think the Kata 702 looks like the ticket as long as you can slide the 100 out to 400 easily?

Will a tc complicate this product?

I've been using the same, two Rain Sleeves for nearly 3 years.

sponsored links

1,473 views & 0 likes for this thread
Rain Cover Needed
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.