Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 09 Aug 2010 (Monday) 09:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

STICKY: How to photograph a high school Senior - Part 2

umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
10,578 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 11, 2014 18:23 |  #1096

sevillafox wrote in post #16595300 (external link)
Good that you limit it to the basic package only. I've done the % off thing before and it's always painful. I'd rather give a bonus item that they perceive at a higher value. What I've always heard is be stingy with the discounts....it costs you more to give a % off or $ off than it does to add on a bonus product.

Honestly,, what im thinking about doing, 3 referrals and the print package is free. My total costs for prints is less than $35.00. All im out is the cost of the prints and post processing time. For 3 paying referrals, why not ?? I want them to buy albums and wall prints so why not give them an incentive to do just that. Im even considering 2 wall prints gets 50% off the print package, 3rd wall print gets the print package for free. Prints are cheap. Clients know they are cheap. Why not take all the BS we put into why we charge so much for them to better work. By the wall art or buy the album and get the prints for nothing is what im thinking.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
Paigey
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jan 12, 2014 16:51 |  #1097

Have questions. Those of you that do green screen….
Do you use a special software?
Where do you buy backgrounds?
Do you light the green screen background also?

Was thinking about trying this with some seniors.

GerryDavid
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 12, 2014 17:34 |  #1098

Paigey, you missed a big question - where do you get the digital backdrops for greenscreen. :D

Im going to work on this this year to, I guess lighting is the most important part, especially the hair. I have to buy a snoot to do this. :)

Canon investor

rjharris
947 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 12, 2014 18:09 |  #1099

You can google digital backgrounds and find several. I've been making my own. I use Photo shop CS6 with pretty good results. For these I just shot them on a white collapsible 5x7 background that was back far enough to be gray when I took the shot.

Here's one of a set of 11 I just did for a basketball team.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

GerryDavid
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 12, 2014 20:49 |  #1100

rjharris wrote in post #16600212 (external link)
You can google digital backgrounds and find several. I've been making my own. I use Photo shop CS6 with pretty good results.

Here's one of a set of 11 I just did for a basketball team.

This reminds me of something an instructor on a seminar did, I forget who ti was, maybe Sal Cincotti *or something like that?*. He photographed the entire basketball team *or what have you* and had banners printed up with the pictures, the backgrounds were digital and his logo and info was pretty dominant, and he donated them to the school to put up at the game. Pretty soon students were wanting to buy them, other teams were wanting them done, and rival schools wanted them as well. Its a bit of an initial investment, I forget where he got them done and what size they were, but I think he paid something like $30 for each of them. It def got his name going around.

Canon investor

rjharris
947 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 12, 2014 21:51 |  #1101

GerryDavid wrote in post #16600628 (external link)
This reminds me of something an instructor on a seminar did, I forget who ti was, maybe Sal Cincotti *or something like that?*. He photographed the entire basketball team *or what have you* and had banners printed up with the pictures, the backgrounds were digital and his logo and info was pretty dominant, and he donated them to the school to put up at the game. Pretty soon students were wanting to buy them, other teams were wanting them done, and rival schools wanted them as well. Its a bit of an initial investment, I forget where he got them done and what size they were, but I think he paid something like $30 for each of them. It def got his name going around.

These ended up being 24 x 36 inch banners, I also did a team picture with a completely different backdrop (it was what they wanted) of the sky with them in it. I'm hoping for something of the same with the word getting out. So far, with this school the boys basketball wants them done (I don't know if they'll ever get around to it though) and the softball coach has hit me up.

jmalonear
651 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jan 12, 2014 23:49 |  #1102

GerryDavid wrote in post #16600628 (external link)

You are talking about Blair Phillips

Friends call me Jay!
Gear: Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 70D | Canon 50D w/grip|Canon 10D|Canon 70-200mm 2.8L IS|Canon 24-70mm 2.8L|
Facebook (external link)

GerryDavid
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 13, 2014 00:37 |  #1103

Thats the one! In NC I think. :)

Canon investor

Thumpa33
202 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 14, 2014 08:53 as a reply to  @ GerryDavid's post |  #1104

Nubie to this... 1st posting here CC welcomed

ok, I'm finally getting the B#&&s(courage to post here), I've only done one senior pic session. It's my son's GF. I'm normally a sports shooter, but she asked me to do her's to save the money for her college fund. So my fee was lunch, and a box of awesome chocolates.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Thumpa33
202 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 14, 2014 09:56 as a reply to  @ Thumpa33's post |  #1105

2 more

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

seres
580 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Jan 14, 2014 12:00 |  #1106

I really like the 2 B&W ones, Thumpa33... especially the first one! The "underwater" shot is certainly unique... I would be interested in your "behind the scenes" description.

—Eric

Thumpa33
202 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 14, 2014 13:13 |  #1107

seres wrote in post #16604906 (external link)
I really like the 2 B&W ones, Thumpa33... especially the first one! The "underwater" shot is certainly unique... I would be interested in your "behind the scenes" description.

Shes a competitive swimmer, so I thought that would be a fun one for her:)

GerryDavid
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 14, 2014 18:38 |  #1108

I also prefer the black and whites. :) was the grain an added look or result of the settings?

What underwater camera did you use? I had a competitive swimmer spokesmodel a few years ago but never got any swimming shots, wish I had. :)

Canon investor

Thumpa33
202 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 14, 2014 21:52 |  #1109

GerryDavid wrote in post #16605989 (external link)
I also prefer the black and whites. :) was the grain an added look or result of the settings?

What underwater camera did you use? I had a competitive swimmer spokesmodel a few years ago but never got any swimming shots, wish I had. :)

I did the B+W effects in Silver Efex pro 2, including the grain

the camera was the canon D10 waterproof P+S

Thumpa33
202 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 14, 2014 22:25 as a reply to  @ Thumpa33's post |  #1110

1 more

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links

736,778 views & 2,394 likes for this thread
How to photograph a high school Senior - Part 2
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.