Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 12 Jan 2014 (Sunday) 23:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Table top photography--What to buy????

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 13, 2014 18:19 |  #16

They work great for smaller foam core and cardboard flags, reflectors etc. when shooting on a table top setup. Lead base provides firm footing. Only risk is sticking your hand with the prongs. :-)

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

sponsored links
Whortleberry
Goldmember
1,719 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 13, 2014 18:38 |  #17

dmward wrote in post #16603014 (external link)
They work great for smaller foam core and cardboard flags, reflectors etc. when shooting on a table top setup. Lead base provides firm footing. Only risk is sticking your hand with the prongs. :-)

Been there, done that as well. Basically, don't bother trying it for yourself. Less painful than the spikes Manfrotto make for holding foamcore though.
Here's something I cobbled together to place a card / foamcore reflector / flag exactly where I want it. Clamps onto table edges, light stands or even dining chairs.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Set-up for this shot was nothing more complex than putting the stuff down on the lace cover on my dining table. Oh, I had to move a chair!
Five minutes later, my dinner was in exactly the same place.
Genuine 'tabletop photography' :rolleyes:

Phil ǁ Kershaw Soho Reflex: 4¼" Ross Xpres, 6½" Aldis, Super XX/ABC Pyro in 24 DDS, HP3/Meritol Metol in RFH, Johnson 'Scales' brand flash powder. Kodak Duo Six-20/Verichrome Pan. Other odd bits over the decades, simply to get the job done - not merely to polish and brag about cos I'm too mean to buy the polish!
FlickR (external link) ◄► "The Other Yongnuo User Guide v4.12" by Clive Bolton (external link) ◄► UK Railway Photographs 1906-79 (external link)

phantelope
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2008

Jan 13, 2014 20:25 |  #18

a light box or what it's called is handy, I have one from cowboy studios, flips open to give you a large white fabric square with one side open. White and black foamcore from the office supply store, black plexiglass for a shiny surface (or clear with black paper underneath) and I use LED tabletop lamps with bendable necks for lights more often than my flashes. White papertowels or baby socks to soften the light even more, bounce off foam core etc. I got some foam core that's made for presentations, precut in a 1/4, 1/2, 1/4 thing so you fold it open and it stands. Black foam core as flags or alternate black background. Easy to setup, all folds down to flat storage.

Also use natural light, set up close to a window that gets indirect light.

ETA: what I have might be called a tabletop studio, basically 4 sides that spring open like a car sunshade, front is open. Also comes with different color backdrops and a front with just a slit to stick your lens through, though I never found a need for that part.

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

tetrode
I am a walking repository of thoroughly useless information
3,775 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 14, 2014 12:45 |  #19

David: What modifier is that in your BTS image? I've seen it somewhere before (I think) but can't place it.

IMAGE: http://f.cl.ly/items/0C0j1R0K3s1E0n2B3J2B/DW_Bigfoot.jpg

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,420 posts
Gallery: 217 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 14, 2014 13:18 |  #20

tetrode wrote in post #16605056 (external link)
David: What modifier is that in your BTS image? I've seen it somewhere before (I think) but can't place it.

QUOTED IMAGE

:lol::lol::lol::cool:

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

CAPhotog
334 posts
Joined May 2012

Jan 14, 2014 13:22 as a reply to  @ dmward's post |  #21

Whoa! Did anyone else see...

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 14, 2014 15:36 |  #22

tetrode wrote in post #16605056 (external link)

QUOTED IMAGE

We do have furry critters in the backyard but they're coyotes not gorillas. :-)

As for the modifier, its the new F Stoppers Flash Disc. Rand was nice enough to send me one of his to test.

And they're dry roasted peanuts rather than cashews.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

tetrode
3,775 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 14, 2014 15:44 |  #23

dmward wrote in post #16605483 (external link)
We do have furry critters in the backyard but they're coyotes not gorillas. :-)

As for the modifier, its the new F Stoppers Flash Disc. Rand was nice enough to send me one of his to test.

And they're dry roasted peanuts rather than cashews.

Thanks, David. I thought it was the F Stoppers doodad but couldn't find it on their site. Whadya think? Any good?

And, I'm disappointed. I always had you pegged as a cashews man. Filberts at least.

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 14, 2014 15:53 |  #24

tetrode wrote in post #16605511 (external link)
Thanks, David. I thought it was the F Stoppers doodad but couldn't find it on their site. Whadya think? Any good?

I like it. Quick and easy to get onto the speedlite. Offers a reasonable amount of softness. Size still matters. :-)

If I had been them, I'd have made it 50% larger in diameter. Wouldn't have changed much relative to ease of use etc. and been just that much bigger for softness.

Its not on their site because they sold out the first production run quickly. Rand was one of the lucky group. They claim more are coming, just not sure when.

tetrode wrote in post #16605511 (external link)
And, I'm disappointed. I always had you pegged as a cashews man. Filberts at least.

Cashews are my favorites but for some reason I tend to get the dry roasted peanuts. Must be the desire to keep all the big money for photo gadgets. :-)

tetrode
3,775 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 14, 2014 16:00 |  #25

I don't mean to hijack the thread BUT, what holds that Flash Disc on the flash head? The F/Stoppers video doesn't say.

And, I knew I was right! You are a cashews man.

emvy
26 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Jan 14, 2014 16:09 |  #26

Get a Lazy Susan, for buttery smooth rotational view at all angles.

tetrode
3,775 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 14, 2014 16:11 |  #27

emvy wrote in post #16605589 (external link)
Get a Lazy Susan, for buttery smooth rotational view at all angles.

And easier access to the dry-roasted peanuts.

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 14, 2014 21:45 |  #28

tetrode wrote in post #16605560 (external link)
I don't mean to hijack the thread BUT, what holds that Flash Disc on the flash head? The F/Stoppers video doesn't say.

And, I knew I was right! You are a cashews man.

The flash disc is held on the flash head by a piece of elatic that is about 4 inches wide.
It is sown to the back (reflective) panel and is snug but not excessively so. They were also thoughtful enough to put a tab on to help pull it over the flash head.

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
8,163 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jan 14, 2014 21:49 as a reply to  @ dmward's post |  #29

Great resource...

http://www.prophotolif​e.com/video-library/ (external link)

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

tetrode
3,775 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 14, 2014 22:10 |  #30

dmward wrote in post #16606434 (external link)
The flash disc is held on the flash head by a piece of elatic that is about 4 inches wide.
It is sown to the back (reflective) panel and is snug but not excessively so. They were also thoughtful enough to put a tab on to help pull it over the flash head.

That's what I suspected. The added tab suggests the thing was designed by a photographer/user rather than by an engineer. Thanks for the info, David.

sponsored links

5,693 views & 0 likes for this thread
Table top photography--What to buy????
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.