Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 14 Jan 2014 (Tuesday) 17:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Just got Lightroom 5!

orion4211
107 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 14, 2014 17:00 |  #1

I'm kind of really excited and had to share. I just bought Lightroom 5! But before I start messing around with it I want to watch some tutorials and read some sites about it. Any suggestions for a complete lightroom beginner? Previously I used Aperture, but since I built a new computer (non mac) I decided to go with Lightroom. 4.2gig OC 6 core processor and 16gig of ram should handle well. Aperture slowed my MBP...

Flickr (external link) Canon 70d | Canon 40d |17-40mm L | 70-200mm L f/4 | 400mm L f/5.6 | Sigmalux 50 1.4 |

sponsored links
Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,813 posts
Gallery: 93 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Jan 14, 2014 17:01 |  #2

Get Kelby's book. Very well written with a beginner in mind.

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

Rimmer
Goldmember
1,416 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 14, 2014 17:10 |  #3

Scrumhalf wrote in post #16605727 (external link)
Get Kelby's book. Very well written with a beginner in mind.

Good way to start. Pay attention to the organization and setup discussions in the beginning of the book. It will make everything go a lot smoother. Enjoy your new software and have fun!

Ace Rimmer -- "What a guy!"
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast." ;)

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,813 posts
Gallery: 93 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Jan 14, 2014 17:12 |  #4

Yeah, forgot to congratulate you on the purchase! ;)

Have fun.. Lightroom is very easy to use but is also very powerful. And oh yeah, start shooting in RAW if you don't do so already. Only then will you be able to harness the full power of LR (or any other PP tool for that matter). :)

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

Snowyman
Goldmember
3,956 posts
Gallery: 422 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2011

Jan 14, 2014 17:13 |  #5

The Complete Picture by Julieanne Kost:
http://tv.adobe.com …ture-with-julieanne-kost/ (external link)

Getting Started with Lightroom 5:
http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=QSwkDC3q7uk (external link)

The Ultimate Lightroom 4 Experience:
http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=Ba4GmCLsHOE (external link)

Snowy's Gear
Deviant Art (external link)
Flickr (external link)
500px (external link)

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,491 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jan 14, 2014 17:14 |  #6

Before spending money, start with an excellent freebee. It will get you off and running.
http://www.lightroomqu​een.com …downloads/quick​start/lr5/ (external link)

Elie / אלי

TTuna ­ Eye
202 posts
Joined May 2011

Jan 14, 2014 17:33 |  #7

Congrats on the purchase. I consider LR as critical as good lenses. slrlounge.com has lots of great content as well some is free and some is for fee.

LR is very powerful, but with great power comes great responsibility! OK maybe that doesn't apply here. :)

6D, 60D, 100L, 24-105L, Sig 150-500, nifty 50, EF-S 60mm, Tam SP70-200 f/2.8 Di VC, Underwater gear T2i in a Watershot housing with Inon S2000 strobes.

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 14, 2014 19:07 |  #8

TTuna Eye wrote in post #16605806 (external link)
Congrats on the purchase. I consider LR as critical as good lenses. slrlounge.com has lots of great content as well some is free and some is for fee.

LR is very powerful, but with great power comes great responsibility! OK maybe that doesn't apply here. :)

Great responsibility to never crank the Clarity slider all the way to +100 or -100.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,605 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Jan 14, 2014 22:24 |  #9

nathancarter wrote in post #16606063 (external link)
Great responsibility to never crank the Clarity slider all the way to +100 or -100.

(with apologies to the Genie).... "Phenomenal cosmic power.... Itty-bitty little sliders"

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

idsurfer
Cream of the Crop
6,185 posts
Gallery: 94 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 15, 2014 07:51 |  #10

This is a bit off topic but i don't want to start a thread just to ask....does the straight line clone feature work well in LR5? I would use it for little things like removing power lines or subtle wrinkles on a face. Thanks

Cory
Sony ⍺6400 | Sony 10-18/4 | Sony/Zeiss 24/1.8 | Sigma 56/1.4
flickr (external link)
Feedback

SYS
Cream of the Crop
13,883 posts
Gallery: 492 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jul 2004

Jan 15, 2014 08:19 |  #11

When I got the LR5 recently, I also purchased Kelby's book. It's great for beginners. Because there are so many key shortcuts and commands that I started writing down a summary in a Word document rather than keep flipping through the book or look things up in Index. Have fun with it!

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear

chitro
61 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Jan 15, 2014 10:47 as a reply to  @ SYS's post |  #12

I've been using lightroom 5 for about a month just seeing some youtube videos here and there. Wanted to check out some Kelby's books from the local library, but every single one of them whether photoshop or lightroom are checked out in all the branches. WHOA!:shock:

Nieman
113 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Jan 15, 2014 11:49 |  #13

I have been using lightroom for about a month. There site has great how To, and of course search google, and Tube.

So far have not had a issue finding help. I need to look into Kelbys book.

Nathan Nieman
Canon 70d, Kaavie grip, 18-55 IS STM lens, 55-250 mm Lens, 50mm f1.4

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,491 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jan 15, 2014 12:33 |  #14

idsurfer wrote in post #16607247 (external link)
This is a bit off topic but i don't want to start a thread just to ask....does the straight line clone feature work well in LR5? I would use it for little things like removing power lines or subtle wrinkles on a face. Thanks

Works fine. This photo had power lines coming in from the right and running across the side of the building at the height of the two small windows.

IMAGE: http://photos.imageevent.com/elied/ireland/day7/untitled-0481.jpg

Elie / אלי

blanex1
790 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Jan 15, 2014 12:50 |  #15

thats what i love about this forum,i just got scott kelbys book on a recommendation from a member hear,get it...

canon 7d bg-e7 5d-mk3 1d-mk3 24-105-L 17-40 L 35/1.4 85/1.8 yougnuo 565 ex 580 ex and lots of other canon stuff.canon 70-200 2.8 L

sponsored links

2,632 views & 0 likes for this thread
Just got Lightroom 5!
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.