Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 14 Jan 2014 (Tuesday) 21:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Cheetah Wistro Neewer 180/360 dome mushroom wide diffuser

CAPhotog
334 posts
Joined May 2012

Jan 14, 2014 21:33 |  #1

Anyone have examples using the wide angle dome diffuser? I'd specifically like to know how well it might work for a super wide shot of an architectural interior. Does it throw 360 degrees evenly? Other examples or uses might be nice to see too.

sponsored links
dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 14, 2014 21:40 |  #2

I've tested it a bit. Its still a small light source for an interior shot. i.e. there will be edges on the shadows.

If I need to light a whole room I tend to bounce the light into a corner where two walls and the ceiling meet. Move the light farther from the wall for more diffusion. If you go to the architectural page on my website you'll find galleries from projects where the light added was speedlites bounced into walls. Hawthorn, Bank, Shadow Pond all have some shot that way. Probably the others too. :-)

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

CAPhotog
THREAD ­ STARTER
334 posts
Joined May 2012

Jan 14, 2014 22:22 |  #3

Thanks David, always nice to see your architectural work. The shadows would be a concern, especially in smaller retail or restaurant spaces. I was thinking about bouncing one or two straight up if I have a suitable ceiling, possibly saving time in repositioning lights for different shots. Big open interiors might be better to try it though. Was thinking other applications that might work are faking sunlight outside a window or illuminating the interior when shooting the exterior. Small enough investment I suppose, so I may just buy and try.

sportmode
549 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 14, 2014 22:56 as a reply to  @ CAPhotog's post |  #4

I was a little disappointed with the purchase. Like David said, it does cast some stronger shadows that what I had expected. But it's pretty cheap to try out like you said.

5D Mark III, 6D, EOS-M 22mm f/2 | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 50mm f1.4 | 100L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | Rokinon 8mm Fisheye

abbadon31
Goldmember
4,927 posts
Gallery: 261 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Jul 2009

Jan 14, 2014 23:58 |  #5

It works great as a hair or ambient light source, but not great for main. I bought a few and removed the mount ring and used them for other things.

I AM SHOM

CAPhotog
THREAD ­ STARTER
334 posts
Joined May 2012

Jan 15, 2014 01:09 |  #6

Thanks all. I won't expect too much, but will see if I can put it to good use.

tetrode
I am a walking repository of thoroughly useless information
3,775 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 15, 2014 09:25 |  #7

Here's a quick example of the Mushroom at work this morning. As seen in the photo, the Mushroom was on a CL-360 placed near the corner of the room and elevated to within approximately one foot of the ceiling. The lamp and table are close to the diagonally opposite corner of the room:

IMAGE: http://f.cl.ly/items/3A363N231U0B0B0D1R1t/Mushroom_Test.jpg

As you can see, shadows are clearly defined. Now, here's the test repeated with the light in the same position but using the umbrella reflector and no reflector at all:

IMAGE: http://f.cl.ly/items/0E1u3H1z3q47321F2Q1d/Mushroom_Test_2.jpg

Of these three options, I think the umbrella reflector would be the best choice for overall room lighting.

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 15, 2014 22:09 |  #8

Yep, umbrella reflector makes better looking shadows.

I would have aimed the mushroom into the corner with the light just about where it is for Dave's test.

Scott mentioned two other good applications.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

sponsored links

2,447 views & 0 likes for this thread
Cheetah Wistro Neewer 180/360 dome mushroom wide diffuser
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.