Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 15 Jan 2014 (Wednesday) 07:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

HS Strobing--Continued

Zivnuska
Goldmember
3,657 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 15, 2014 07:22 |  #1

... ...This thread continues a discussion that began on another thread in photo sharing but more appropriately belongs here.

I was comparing some strobed shots with ambient when taken in the same venue at the same time. Here is the stobe set-up from an earlier game.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i137.photobucke​t.com …ivnuska/2011/PZ​IV8023.jpg (external link)

First, two strobed images. 1/250 sec, f/2.8, ISO 160

http://i137.photobucke​t.com …nuska/2014/ZIVN​1705-2.jpg (external link)

http://i137.photobucke​t.com …ivnuska/2014/ZI​VN1706.jpg (external link)

Now two ambient images. Same night, same equipment. 1/800-1/640sec. f/2.8, ISO6400

http://i137.photobucke​t.com …ka/2014/ZIVN165​4-Edit.jpg (external link)

http://i137.photobucke​t.com …ka/2014/ZIVN149​2-Edit.jpg (external link)

The question was asked about using 2 vs 4 Bees. I almost always use 2 B800 Alien Bees to strobe a gym. The ability to use 4 at my home gym is a luxury. The lights on this night were set up by my friend (and friend of the forum) Mark Weaver. All shots were with the 1D X and EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II.

Are strobes worth the trouble? It depends.

It depends upon how poor the lighting is at the gym. The darker the gym the better as far as strobes are concerned. The amount of 'ghosting' is dependent upon how far above the ambient light levels your strobes can take you. It is best if you can get 3 or more stops above ambient. If the gym is bright, it will be difficult to get those 3 stops over ambient and that's fine since the extra light makes it easier to shoot ambient images.

It also depends upon the quality of the light. Some gyms have the old bulb technology that has a distorted spectra and results in too much yellow causing the players to look as if they all have hepatitis! Strobed light helps correct this and eliminates issues from light cycling. Since much lower ISOs are used, you also have the option to shoot at say f/4.0 instead of 2.8 or wider. That makes focusing easier since there is a larger dof. The light fall off from strobes can add to the separation from the fans instead of needing that large aperture.

My use of strobes has fallen dramatically with the advances in lighting and the wonderful performance of the new generation of dslr bodies that can give high quality images at ISO 6400 (and higher). It certainly is a lot easier to just walk into a strange gym with 1 body and a few lenses and fire away instead of setting up strobes, worrying about power and trip hazards, figuring out the best location to place the strobes and giving up the ability to shoot in bursts. (Strobes take about a second to recharge)

Conclusion? There are many factors to consider when choosing strobes vs ambient. The characteristics of the venue and the equipment available to you make for different choices at different times and places.

Phil

www.zivnuska.zenfolio.​com/blog (external link) = My Blog
Gear List
www.zivnuska.zenfolio.​com (external link)

"It's not tight until you see the color of the irides."

sponsored links
C.david
169 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 18, 2014 21:54 |  #2

Phil, always a pleasure to view your work and thank you for the information/blog:)
C.

Sibil
Cream of the Crop
9,789 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 25, 2014 06:00 as a reply to  @ C.david's post |  #3

Thank you sir, for sharing your knowledge.

boldcolor
32 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Jan 26, 2014 00:13 |  #4

Great post

ChunkyDA
Goldmember
3,707 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 26, 2014 01:23 |  #5

Good info Phil.
I use another technique to add for discussion and trial for those who might want to improve pictures in the HS gym "cave". Ever since I got my 5D3 and its good high ISO capability I use the flash with HSS. This was shot at ISO 5000, f3.2, 1/1000 sec and my 580EX set to High Speed Sync (HSS). The flash bounced off the ceiling nearly straight up provides a nice consistent light and brighter colors than otherwise produced by the gym florescent lights. I also rubber band a small black foam piece in front of the flash to completely block direct flash from anyone's eyes.
I don't get the ghosting produced by the strobes with 1/250 and overpower ambient. No setup, completely portable.
Of course if the gym is painted in school colors this wont work, but neither would any bounced light.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Dave
Support Search and Rescue, Get Lost (external link)
Gear list and some feedback

Sibil
Cream of the Crop
9,789 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 26, 2014 07:25 |  #6

ChunkyDA wrote in post #16637361 (external link)
Of course if the gym is painted in school colors this wont work, but neither would any bounced light.

Thanks for the info. However, the cave-like gyms I have had the pleasure of shooting in, they have been any color but white. I have had black, green, blue, brown, etc.

Zivnuska
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,657 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 28, 2014 06:40 |  #7

ChunkyDA wrote in post #16637361 (external link)
Good info Phil.
I use another technique to add for discussion and trial for those who might want to improve pictures in the HS gym "cave". Ever since I got my 5D3 and its good high ISO capability I use the flash with HSS. This was shot at ISO 5000, f3.2, 1/1000 sec and my 580EX set to High Speed Sync (HSS).

Those results look nice, Dave.

My worst hs venue ever had school colors of black and yellow. The ceiling was black with bright, ugly, yellow beams. Yeeech!

Phil

www.zivnuska.zenfolio.​com/blog (external link) = My Blog
Gear List
www.zivnuska.zenfolio.​com (external link)

"It's not tight until you see the color of the irides."

tmalone893
Goldmember
2,021 posts
Gallery: 54 photos
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 28, 2014 14:00 |  #8

Sibil wrote in post #16637721 (external link)
Thanks for the info. However, the cave-like gyms I have had the pleasure of shooting in, they have been any color but white. I have had black, green, blue, brown, etc.

I've used both HSS and strobes to overpower ambient. There are many ways to approach this. Using HSS, it doesn't have to be bounced. Here are some direct flash shots using HSS. They are in each corner on the side I shot. The flashes are about 3 feet above the goal and pointed towards the top of the key.
All of these were taken with a 5DIII, 70-200 IS II, ISO 8000, ss 1/640 -800, f/3.2

IMAGE: http://www.maloneactionshots.com/img/s10/v104/p859265917-4.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.maloneactionshots.com/img/s5/v122/p955058962-4.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.maloneactionshots.com/img/s5/v133/p1047522810-4.jpg

Name: Theron
MaxPreps Profile (external link)
My Gear

flickr (external link)
https://www.instagram.​com/theronmalone/ (external link)

ChunkyDA
Goldmember
3,707 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 28, 2014 16:08 |  #9

Those look good Theron. I don't have any way to trigger OCF with HSS and it's probably not worth the expense to me right now but it is really good to show what is available to improve the product.

Dave

tmalone893
Goldmember
2,021 posts
Gallery: 54 photos
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 28, 2014 16:30 |  #10

ChunkyDA wrote in post #16645051 (external link)
Those look good Theron. I don't have any way to trigger OCF with HSS and it's probably not worth the expense to me right now but it is really good to show what is available to improve the product.

Thanks Dave. I'm using the Yongnuo 622c as the triggers. They are about $40 each but well worth the expense if you use HSS a lot.

Name: Theron
MaxPreps Profile (external link)
My Gear

flickr (external link)
https://www.instagram.​com/theronmalone/ (external link)

ChunkyDA
Goldmember
3,707 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 28, 2014 20:23 |  #11

I hear they work well and if I pick up a 600EX I might just keep my 580EXII, it's only money...

Dave

sponsored links

2,181 views & 0 likes for this thread
HS Strobing--Continued
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.