Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 14 Jan 2014 (Tuesday) 22:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Small studio space - Help designing

professorman
Goldmember
1,661 posts
Joined May 2009

Jan 14, 2014 22:21 |  #1

I am trying to design a small photo studio in my sister's house. The room is only 11'3" x 13'8".

I am planning to use wall mounted lights so that I can free up floor space.
I plan to use 2 alien bee b400 with strip boxes for the background light.

Can I use a alien bee b400 for the main light with a giant soft box, or should I use a b800?

Do I need a rear hair light as well? Should I put other lights in there?

I would like to have a sofa in the room. Do you think this is practical with the small space? I would like to confine my activities to this room, because the house is rented as individual rooms and I do not want to 'overstep' my usage. I would like to meet clients here as well.

Anyone else has a small studio? Show me your setup and or pics.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1101.photobuck​et.com …e6693b234_zps3e​0f3bce.png (external link)

MyGear | Feedback | facebook (external link)|My Site (external link)|Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,639 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 14, 2014 23:00 |  #2

If its a rental house with other tenants, I'd be more worried about theft than anything. Do you already have the sofa? Maybe have one chair in each corner instead of the sofa. That way its easier to move the chairs and you can even use it in your photos. I have a loveseat in my similar sized space and some times it gets in the way.

professorman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,661 posts
Joined May 2009

Jan 14, 2014 23:18 |  #3

the flying moose wrote in post #16606616 (external link)
If its a rental house with other tenants, I'd be more worried about theft than anything. Do you already have the sofa? Maybe have one chair in each corner instead of the sofa. That way its easier to move the chairs and you can even use it in your photos. I have a loveseat in my similar sized space and some times it gets in the way.

It is a rental house, however my sister is 'supposed' to be living there, but she only uses it to change her clothes. There is only one other person living there now. I am planning to put on a secure solid door with a deadbolt lock. There are two windows that face the road, however, I plan to cover them completely to black them out.

I do not have the loveseat.

Do you have any pictures of your studio space? Can you tell me a bit about your design and setup?

MyGear | Feedback | facebook (external link)|My Site (external link)|Flickr (external link)

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,639 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 14, 2014 23:22 |  #4

professorman wrote in post #16606653 (external link)
It is a rental house, however my sister is 'supposed' to be living there, but she only uses it to change her clothes. There is only one other person living there now. I am planning to put on a secure solid door with a deadbolt lock. There are two windows that face the road, however, I plan to cover them completely to black them out.

I do not have the loveseat.

Do you have any pictures of your studio space? Can you tell me a bit about your design and setup?

Very similar to yours actually except along the side wall where you have the sofa I have a desk with my computer. My lights aren't wall mounted either.

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jan 15, 2014 11:50 as a reply to  @ the flying moose's post |  #5

So I am just about done with my space which is 13x24' I have a small ish dresser and a small 4x8' changing area the rest of the area is open space with wall mounted backdrop. I looked into a chase lounger and even that felt big for my space. I would suggest chairs if need be. It will be very tight, controlling your lights and spill will be the hardest part.

professorman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,661 posts
Joined May 2009

Jan 15, 2014 12:20 |  #6

Littlejon Dsgn wrote in post #16607886 (external link)
It will be very tight, controlling your lights and spill will be the hardest part.

Should I use a strip box with grids for my backdrop lights, and a barn doors on a hair light in the back?

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jan 15, 2014 14:55 |  #7

professorman wrote in post #16607979 (external link)
Should I use a strip box with grids for my backdrop lights, and a barn doors on a hair light in the back?

Honestly you got me, I am still figuring out all this lighting stuff to :)

On a liability front, do you have insurance incase someone gets hurt in your sisters house?

Is the house clean front and inside? The condition and upkeep inside and out will be a reflection on you and your business as soon as a client shows up.

windpig
Chopped liver
14,831 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 15, 2014 18:39 |  #8

I'm working in a 9 X 11 space with a door centered on one end (BG on a 9' wall). For over 2 years I have been use multiple autopoles with adjustable booms. I wouldn't suggest the wall boom as they are limiting and not easily adjustable. I'd work with your main from the back corner opposite the couch using a good light stand with arm, I do it all the time.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

sponsored links

1,136 views & 0 likes for this thread
Small studio space - Help designing
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.