Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Jan 2014 (Wednesday) 14:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 6D Review after 1+ Year of Hands-on [video review]

grahamclarkphoto
183 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 15, 2014 14:50 |  #1

Just about a year ago I posted a review of the Canon 6D Review here.

After a year later of consistent use I decided it might be a good time to do something a little more comprehensive. I recently got back from a 3+ month trip to 30+ National Parks in North America, and lots of hands-on experience with the 6D.

Click here for the YouTube review: http://youtu.be/h-2hOV0MaBk (external link) (does anyone know how to embed? :| )

I uploaded 5.6GB of hi-res TIFFs (no watermarks) and quite a few H.264 low-comp videos (unedited). Click here to view: http://www.6dreview.co​m/ (external link)

Just over a year ago the Canon 6D was announced as the smallest and lightest full-frame SLR in the world, and naturally as a landscape and travel photographer I was quite intrigued by the ultralight factor so I got one of the first copies to ship. I had my doubts as the marketing and photography community had words like budget and economy wherever the Canon 6D was mentioned. Price wasn't part of my decision making as I own all the 5D-family bodies and the Nikon D800e, I just wanted it for the lightness and smallness factors.

A super high level overview of my Canon 6D Review:

- I've printed up to 40x60 and the quality is indistinguishable between the 5D original all the way up to the 6D - that is to say, excellent
- It's rated for 100,000 shutter actuations (correction, thanks M_Six), since recording the video I've now put on 250,000. Awesome! But why so many? Star trail and time-lapse, and I'm also writing an article on battery performance and needed to let one of my cameras run until the batteries died
- Autofocus is the Canon 6D's worst and best feature. 11 AF points may not be enough if you shoot 80% or more fast action images. But the -3EV is currently the king of lowlight AF performance. I rely on this for accurate low-light AF with ND filters and long exposures. Great for travel & landscape photography.
- WiFi is essentially useless for photographers who rely on intervalometers. Canon user experience team was fired or something...
- GPS is a game changer for certain photographers, but again, Canon user experience team completely messed this one up by not including an idle shutoff time option = GPS remains on even when camera is turned off = camera dies.
- Of all the different cameras I own this one is with me nearly 90% of the time. I do quite a bit of printing, and at large print sizes I'm seeing the same quality as the other cameras and this one is lighter. I actually prefer the simple AF system on the original 5D, 5D2 and 6D, and the -3EV for AF lock is great and incredibly practical for those who shoot in low-light.
- GPS setting the date and time in and of itself is hugely valuable for me as I travel quite a bit. Remember when you had to manually adjust date and time in Aperture or Lightroom? Well you never have to do that again, and that's a huge timesaver for me.

From my experience with both the 5D3 and the 6D, the only major differences I usually notice are:

- Lower AF points on 6D
- No GPS on 5D3
- No WB displayed in 6D LCD... Canon used the precious real estate for WiFi OFF... they pulled another print button on us :|
- 6D is lighter and has better balance. Once you use 6D for a while, 5D3 seems heavy and bulky, less comfortable in the hands

In addition I also created a Canon 6D PDF review that has tons of information and quite a few hi-res images, which can be downloaded here: http://www.6dreview.co​m (external link)

If you have any questions don't hesitate to leave them below. Alright, to close out I'll post some 6D captured images I've taken in the last 8 weeks or so. Thanks for reading everyone, and if you have questions let me know below! : )

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

- -
Graham Clark | grahamclarkphoto.com (external link)

sponsored links
gabebalazs
Bird Whisperer
7,640 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 15, 2014 15:03 |  #2

:eek: WOW!

Thanks for sharing, I will watch the video as soon as I can.

Watching the video right now... Awesome! Just a note: I think you meant to say the Digic 5+ is 17 times (not 17%) faster than the Digic 4...

SONY A7RIII | SONY A7III | SONY RX10 IV | SONY RX100 | 24-70 2.8 GM | 70-200 2.8 GM | 16-35 F/4 | PZ 18-105 F/4 | FE 85 1.8 | FE 28-70 | SIGMA 35 1.4 ART | SIGMA 150-600 C | ROKINON 14 2.8
Gabe Balazs Photo (external link)
Nature Shots Portfolio (external link)

mgk2
167 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Jan 15, 2014 15:17 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

From your posted pics I assume you mainly shoot landscape in which 6D is definitely the best tool for the job in Canonland.

However the question remains - if you also own D800E why wouldn't you use that?

Of course the answer is the difference in price. However I firmly believe that D610 is the one to get for landscape over the 6D.

grahamclarkphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
183 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 15, 2014 15:22 |  #4

mgk2 wrote in post #16608397 (external link)
From your posted pics I assume you mainly shoot landscape in which 6D is definitely the best tool for the job in Canonland.

However the question remains - if you also own D800E why wouldn't you use that?

Of course the answer is the difference in price. However I firmly believe that D610 is the one to get for landscape over the 6D.

- 6D is lighter, has GPS and has -3EV on AF, ideal for low-light, star trail, time-lapse, sunset, sunrise
- I own the 610 and I'm doing a review on that as well right now. The aforementioned GPS and -3EV makes it the clear winner for me with regards to landscape photography.

I use the 6D 90% of the time for travel & landscape photography simply because of the GPS. It's that important (for me).

Graham

- -

grahamclarkphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
183 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 15, 2014 15:23 |  #5

gabebalazs wrote in post #16608365 (external link)
:eek: WOW!

Thanks for sharing, I will watch the video as soon as I can.

Watching the video right now... Awesome! Just a note: I think you meant to say the Digic 5+ is 17 times (not 17%) faster than the Digic 4...

thanks!

I also noticed the mispronunciation only after uploading and youtube doesn't allow for changing video files :( :(

- -

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,373 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 15, 2014 15:23 |  #6

that damn GPS feature really ticks me off

Sony A7riii/A9 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

grahamclarkphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
183 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 15, 2014 15:24 |  #7

Charlie wrote in post #16608421 (external link)
that damn GPS feature really ticks me off

how is it possible that the canon user experience team just forgot about that, or did it consciously to everyone's detriment? either way it's pretty darn stupid.

Graham

- -

gabebalazs
Bird Whisperer
7,640 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 15, 2014 15:27 |  #8

Excellent video Graham! I can tell you guys put a lot of time and effort into it. Thanks again for sharing. I will definitely check out the website as well.

SONY A7RIII | SONY A7III | SONY RX10 IV | SONY RX100 | 24-70 2.8 GM | 70-200 2.8 GM | 16-35 F/4 | PZ 18-105 F/4 | FE 85 1.8 | FE 28-70 | SIGMA 35 1.4 ART | SIGMA 150-600 C | ROKINON 14 2.8
Gabe Balazs Photo (external link)
Nature Shots Portfolio (external link)

grahamclarkphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
183 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 15, 2014 15:27 |  #9

gabebalazs wrote in post #16608434 (external link)
Excellent video Graham! I can tell you guys put a lot of time and effort into it. Thanks again for sharing. I will definitely check out the website as well.

thanks! yea, it was a ton of fun for sure!

- -

mgk2
167 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Jan 15, 2014 15:35 |  #10
bannedPermanent ban

grahamclarkphoto wrote in post #16608417 (external link)
- 6D is lighter, has GPS and has -3EV on AF, ideal for low-light, star trail, time-lapse, sunset, sunrise
- I own the 610 and I'm doing a review on that as well right now. The aforementioned GPS and -3EV makes it the clear winner for me with regards to landscape photography.

I use the 6D 90% of the time for travel & landscape photography simply because of the GPS. It's that important (for me).

Graham

Ok, different strokes for different folks.

With the pics you posted, one can easily MF to infinitely or use hyperfocal distance. Therefore -3EV isn't necessary.

GPS whilst a nice feature, I'd take better DR and shadow recovery over it for landscape. But that's just me.

The only real advantage over the D610 is the better high ISO performance for star trails.

Excellent pics regardless!!!

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,373 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 15, 2014 15:39 |  #11

mgk2 wrote in post #16608471 (external link)

With the pics you posted, one can easily MF to infinitely or use hyperfocal distance. Therefore -3EV isn't necessary.

GPS whilst a nice feature, I'd take better DR and shadow recovery over it for landscape. But that's just me.

TS seems to do fine without the shadow recovery. Probably has to do with being so careful with his work.

Sony A7riii/A9 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

mgk2
167 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Jan 15, 2014 15:42 |  #12
bannedPermanent ban

Charlie wrote in post #16608481 (external link)
TS seems to do fine without the shadow recovery. Probably has to do with being so careful with his work.

Well there's really no way to spot the shadow noise at the sizes TS posted.

grahamclarkphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
183 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 15, 2014 15:43 |  #13

mgk2 wrote in post #16608471 (external link)

The only real advantage over the D610 is the better high ISO performance for star trails.

I find GPS essential not just for accurate-location based images, but also setting the timezone. It also future proofs the images, which I really like.

As for star trails, I use ISO 200 - 400, never higher. For anything other than startrails I use ISO 50 - 160, but never 200 or above.

Owning both I've had a good chance to compare them and I consider them identical in nearly all aspects, except for GPS. Everything else, in my opinion, is marketing.

Thank you!! : )

Graham

- -

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
7,500 posts
Gallery: 55 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 15, 2014 15:44 |  #14

I'm pretty sure the shutter rating is 100,000, but it's good to know they're capable of much more than that. I like mine for indoor event and low light stuff. If it had f8 AF capability, I wouldn't have bought the 5D MkIII. And I agree, it does balance nicer than the 5D MkIII.

Mark J.
Gear

Jan ­ Jasinski
Goldmember
3,002 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 15, 2014 15:44 |  #15

Just looking at the shots you posted here, they are magnificent!!

photojan.ca (external link) | Instagram (external link)

sponsored links

12,660 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 6D Review after 1+ Year of Hands-on [video review]
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.