Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Jan 2014 (Wednesday) 14:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon warranty?

vava
154 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 15, 2014 14:54 |  #1

I was wondering if Canon warranty transferable? I am planing to get 5d mk3 from a guy which still have 11 months left. When I called Canon Canada today to find out and they told me warranty is non transferable. Thx

ps/ I asked around, couple guys said they have no problem with the warranty with the camera they bought from someone. Did Canon recently change their policy?

--Le Flickr (external link)--
60D|15-85|50 f1.8|85 f1.8|70-200L f4 IS|24-105L f4

sponsored links
aliengin
Goldmember
1,158 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 15, 2014 15:33 |  #2

vava wrote in post #16608343 (external link)
I was wondering if Canon warranty transferable? I am planing to get 5d mk3 from a guy which still have 11 months left. When I called Canon Canada today to find out and they told me warranty is non transferable. Thx

ps/ I asked around, couple guys said they have no problem with the warranty with the camera they bought from someone. Did Canon recently change their policy?

No. People just don't say "I bought it used" :)

Ali Engin Photography (external link)

4100xpb
66 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jan 15, 2014 15:35 |  #3

Well, unless they changed it after you called today (unlikely), the policy is warranties are non-transferable.

Also keep in mind to even attempt to claim warranty you need the invoice/bill of sale. If the seller is claiming they have the 'warranty registration card,' ignore them. The card means nothing. The bill of sale is the only thing that matters when it comes to warranty claims.

I don't know how Canon is, but I've heard stories Nikon can be sticklers on this. To the extent that they were denying warranty claims on products that had only been released a month ago when there was no bill of sale provided.

frugivore
Goldmember
3,089 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Jan 15, 2014 15:39 |  #4

I don't know if it was changed, but I remember reading on the warranty card itself that it's not transferable. Wait for a good sale and buy new if you want the warranty with it.

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,251 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 15, 2014 16:43 |  #5

A 5DIII with 11 month left on the warranty would be 1 month old. Canon's warranties are one year.

If the seller has had it longer than a month, they must have an extended warranty on it. And an extended warranty would be with someone other than Canon (Mack is one name that comes to mind) and it might be transferrable. You'd have to ask whoever is providing the extended warranty.

Just mentioning this because it's kinda rare/odd for someone to be selling a one-month-old camera.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,973 posts
Joined May 2003

Jan 15, 2014 17:00 |  #6

amfoto1 wrote in post #16608684 (external link)
A 5DIII with 11 month left on the warranty would be 1 month old. Canon's warranties are one year.

If the seller has had it longer than a month, they must have an extended warranty on it.

Why would this statement necessarily be true? Do you mean if the seller had it longer than a year , then he has an extended warranty?

paddler4
Goldmember
1,319 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 15, 2014 17:17 |  #7

When I called Canon Canada today to find out and they told me warranty is non transferable.

That should be your answer. It's also on Canon's website. The last I looked, the answer is no: the warranty applies to the original purchaser only or the original recipient of the camera as a gift. You can check it and see whether it has changed.

If I remember right, the few times I have used their warranty service, I had to provide proof of purchase. however, I may not be remembering correctly.

It may be that Canon sometimes lets it slide.

Check out my photos at http://dkoretz.smugmug​.com (external link)

Ralph ­ III
Goldmember
1,343 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 15, 2014 17:40 as a reply to  @ paddler4's post |  #8

No, No.

Canon will honor a warranty even if you are not the original owner. Their official policy may state it is limited to the original owner (thus non-transferable) but that isn't the last word for you.

You just need a copy of the original receipt. All Canon needs to do is confirm it was purchased from an authorized Retailer and that the equipment is still within the warranty period (from sale date). They don't care about the name on the receipt. Just blot it out if needed.

I've had equipment repaired numerous times as the second owner having spoken with Canon Service Reps in regards. All they care about is your providing a legitimate receipt so they can confirm Retailer/Date.

Ralph

"SOUTHERN and SAVED!"
POTN FEEDBACK...............ITEMS FOR SALE

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,101 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 15, 2014 17:49 |  #9

Ralph III wrote in post #16608789 (external link)
No, No.

Canon will honor a warranty even if you are not the original owner. Their official policy may state it is limited to the original owner (thus non-transferable) but that isn't the last word for you.

You just need a copy of the original receipt. All Canon needs to do is confirm it was purchased from an authorized Retailer and that the equipment is still within the warranty period (from sale date). They don't care about the name on the receipt. Just blot it out if needed.

I've had equipment repaired numerous times as the second owner with full knowledge of Canon Repair Centers that I wasn't the original owner. They just need a receipt, not a name.

Ralph

I've had a few things serviced under warranty. All they have ever asked for is a copy of the purchase receipt and the warranty card.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

vava
THREAD ­ STARTER
154 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 15, 2014 20:45 |  #10

Thanks all for the replied. The seller has the receipt and he bought the camera about a month ago from an authorized dealer. I have not see the receipt yet, not sure his name on the receipt. I called Canon just to see if they can check camera s/n see if it was stolen or not and they told me no way they can check that. The only thing they can tell me from s/n is when the dealer got that camera that was shipped from their warehouse, if it is online store they also can't check that too.

--Le Flickr (external link)--
60D|15-85|50 f1.8|85 f1.8|70-200L f4 IS|24-105L f4

sponsored links

1,659 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon warranty?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.