Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 15 Jan 2014 (Wednesday) 18:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Profoto B1 + Air Remote + Sony A7/R = Doesn't work?

andrew00
71 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 15, 2014 18:54 |  #1

Hey,

I received a Profoto B1 today and the Air Remote - Canon TTL version.

I mate brought around his Sony A7 and we wanted to test the combo together but seemed to have trouble with the Sony and the Profoto remote.

It's the first time I've had a Profoto Air remote, before I've had PW's, and it seemed very stiff getting it on my Canon hot shoes, so maybe the remote itself is to blame.

However, I couldn't get the remote on the Sony. I think it's due to the hot shoe which, if you google the A7(R) hot shoe, has an extra bar across the front due to the accessory port.

This means the Profoto Air can't properly get into the hot shoe, most cameras only have the slidey bits on the side so the remote can get in fine, but with the Sony it can only get 90% of the way in and subsequently won't fire.

I tried some other flashes I only, I only had cheap/easy ones lying around, and they too wouldn't get fully in the hot shoe but would at least trigger.

Alas - the Profoto Air remote won't get in far enough to trigger - ergo seems to me to not be compatible with the Sony A7(R) line. This is a big big shame as I was hoping to use the A7R with the B1's.

Anyone come across this? Is there a trick to the Air remote I'm not getting? (It wasn't locked in case anyone asks) Or is it just not a viable combo?

sponsored links
Gareth ­ O'Neill
42 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Jan 15, 2014 19:01 |  #2

Well, Um, without being too obvious, you did say you are using the "Air Remote - Canon TTL version"

Sony always loves having stupid hotshoes, the new one is at least better than the old one.

Maybe this will give you more info;

http://www.profoto.com …a-flash/camera-flash-faq/ (external link)

kidsphotos.co.nz (external link)

andrew00
THREAD ­ STARTER
71 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 15, 2014 19:02 |  #3

Hehe yes it works in TTL with Canon cameras but it should still work in manual with non Canon cameras as a regular old manual trigger (at least that was what I was told when I bought it, maybe incorrectly?)

patrick023
542 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jan 15, 2014 19:06 |  #4

Sony doesn't use the center pin as the firing circuit on their cameras. So, you'll need to rig up some kind of adapter for it to even use it as a simple trigger.

andrew00
THREAD ­ STARTER
71 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 15, 2014 19:18 |  #5

Ah so Sony is like Panasonic in that respect? I found Panasonic cameras would never trigger some Elinchrom Skyports when I had them, which was annoying!

The Sony hot shoe though, with the accessory port, is just so short, as in no flash I've tried can actually get positioned in it, they've all left the back door hanging off so to speak!

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,718 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012

Jan 15, 2014 19:34 |  #6

patrick023 wrote in post #16608985 (external link)
Sony doesn't use the center pin as the firing circuit on their cameras. So, you'll need to rig up some kind of adapter for it to even use it as a simple trigger.

With their newest models they've done way with the stupid proprietary hot shoe and gone with a conventional one that does have the center pin.

http://www.kenrockwell​.com/sony/a7/top.jpg (external link)

Forgive me for linking a Rockwell pic :lol:

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,718 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012

Jan 15, 2014 19:36 |  #7

andrew00 wrote in post #16609007 (external link)
The Sony hot shoe though, with the accessory port, is just so short, as in no flash I've tried can actually get positioned in it, they've all left the back door hanging off so to speak!

This might sound weird but try putting it on backwards, if possible.

I have a little tiny Pertri camera that has a weird hot-shoe and I have to mount my radio trigger backwards when I use it.

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

andrew00
THREAD ­ STARTER
71 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 15, 2014 19:50 |  #8

Alas it doesn't fit, the remote is flat going in but curved on the back end so it doesn't slide in :/

andrew00
THREAD ­ STARTER
71 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 16, 2014 11:36 |  #9

Here's two pictures, you can see the A7 hotshoe compared to an old Minolta to Standard hotshoe adapter I had - you can see how they're normalish now but how the end is blocked off. And in the second picture you can see how the Air remote juts out the back, having not been able to push it in properly :/

IMAGE: http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/202/vpj2.jpg
IMAGE: http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/855/bco4.jpg

tetrode
I am a walking repository of thoroughly useless information
3,775 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 16, 2014 13:14 |  #10

I'm sure your friend wouldn't mind if you Dremel'ed off the front edge of his A7's hot shoe.

In case there's any doubt: Yes, I'm kidding.

FlashZebra
This space available
4,427 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 16, 2014 13:58 |  #11

maverick75 wrote in post #16609035 (external link)
With their newest models they've done way with the stupid proprietary hot shoe and gone with a conventional one that does have the center pin.

http://www.kenrockwell​.com/sony/a7/top.jpg (external link)

Forgive me for linking a Rockwell pic :lol:

It is not quite that simple.

They do have a new shoe and it is a variant of the standard "ISO" hotshoe.

But it is a very odd variant that introduces another distinct set of connection intrigue and frustration for Sony users.

Enjoy! Lon

http://flashzebra.com/ (external link)

iituner
326 posts
Joined May 2012

Jan 16, 2014 21:35 |  #12

RF-603 works great on the new SONY hot shoe
I think that the problem in the design of foot of AIR TTL-C

WWW.YN622.RU (external link) CANON EOS 70D | EF 50mm F/1.4 USM | EF 24-105mm F/4L IS USM | EF-S 10-18mm F/4.5-5.6 IS STM | JINBEI DPIII600 | EINSTEIN E-640+CC/CST/CSXCV/CSR | YONGNUO: YN600EX-RT, YN-E3-RT, YNE3-RX, YN622C-TX, YN622C, RF-605C | SHANNY: SN-E3-RT, SN600C-RT, SN-E3-RF, SN600EX-RF, SN600C-RF, SN600SC, SN600SN, SN910EX-RF | PIXEL X800C (bulb dead)

Stephen ­ Lee
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Jan 2009

May 12, 2014 17:10 |  #13

From the B1 FAQ:

Q) Can I use the Air Remote TTL-C with cameras that are not listed above to sync and control the B1 off-camera flash?

A) No. If you have a Canon EOS camera with ETTL-II metering, choose the Air Remote TTL-C and get full TTL functionality. If you have any other camera (Canon, Nikon, Sony, Phase One, Hasselblad or whatever it may be) choose the standard Air Remote to sync and control the B1 off-camera flash.

sponsored links

8,854 views & 0 likes for this thread
Profoto B1 + Air Remote + Sony A7/R = Doesn't work?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.