Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 13 Jan 2014 (Monday) 07:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

G16, RAW, and LR3?

416bw
119 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jan 13, 2014 07:00 |  #1

I've been using LR3 for quite some time now to process my Canon 7D RAW images, and it never dawned on me that LR3 wouldn't work with my new G16 RAW files.

I'm currently trying to download Adobe LR 5.2 (for Mac) from their website, but am not too hopeful that it will download as I'm currently in Afghanistan on a very slow internet connection. (It's already switched from estimating a 3hr download to 4hrs now.)

I'm wondering if this download will help, and if there are any other steps I should take that may allow me to use LR3 with the G16 files? I've clicked on the "check for updates" in the LR program, and it said there were none, my program was up to date.

Thanks for any help.

1DMkIII | 7D | XTi | G16 | 10-22mm | 17-55 2.8 IS | 70-200L f2.8 IS | 70-200L f2.8 IS MkII | 100-400L IS | 28-135 IS | Tamron 17-50 | 24-105L f4.0 |

sponsored links
Luckypenguin
612 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 13, 2014 08:14 |  #2

Try the Adobe DNG Converter.

http://www.adobe.com …ads/detail.jsp?​ftpID=5645 (external link)

It lets you convert CR2 files to DNG which can be read by older versions of Lightroom and ACR.

Nic - flickr photostream (external link)
G1X (last Canon standing)

416bw
THREAD ­ STARTER
119 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jan 13, 2014 09:05 |  #3

Thanks for that good bit of advice. I'll download that next, after the current download finishes.

Curious though, how one would work that converter into the post processing process? Right now I import directly from the camera (7D) or the SD card (G16.) So I'd need to add a step in there to convert the files from the SD card before they go into LR3.

1DMkIII | 7D | XTi | G16 | 10-22mm | 17-55 2.8 IS | 70-200L f2.8 IS | 70-200L f2.8 IS MkII | 100-400L IS | 28-135 IS | Tamron 17-50 | 24-105L f4.0 |

Luckypenguin
612 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 13, 2014 09:58 |  #4

Yes, that's correct. The DNG Converter will require an intermediate step, but it's the only way that you'll be able to read G16 raw files into earlier versions of Lightroom.

Nic - flickr photostream (external link)
G1X (last Canon standing)

416bw
THREAD ­ STARTER
119 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jan 14, 2014 08:01 |  #5

I did manage to download LR 5.2 but it won't install on my Mac which is a couple years old. So now I'm downloading the Adobe Converter as suggested.

It's always something. :)

Leeta
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Jan 2014

Jan 14, 2014 15:38 |  #6

I use Elements 11 and have a similar problem with my 2 day old Canon G16. The Adobe DNG converter does up to the G15 but Not the G16. I read all the reviews before deciding on my G16 and nowhere was there any mention of problems downloading Raw files. Canon told me to download their Digital software and it does download them but the program doesn't do much. In Google Picasa my Raw files are yellow. any suggestions please??

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,481 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jan 14, 2014 16:24 |  #7

It is entirely to be expected that there will be a lag between a new camera being released and supportive Raw software being available. Until the next version of the DNG Converter appears there isn't much you can do except to use Canon"s DPP. It may not do as much as Lightroom or the full version of Adobe Camera Raw, but then neither does the version in PSE.

Elie / אלי

Two
313 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 15, 2014 20:05 |  #8

416-

I was in the same boat as you. Mac and all. I ended up paying for the upgrade to
LR5. But was unable to install it because of my OS, Snow leopard. I had to then
upgrade my OS to Mountain Lion (20 bucks). During the interim, I downloaded DPP,
from Canon. Since I have never had any luck with DPP, I converted and saved my
unedited RAW file to a 16 bit TIFF. Then, I imported into LR3 and processed from
there.

Currently, I have LR5 working on my Mac w/Mountain Lion (Not terribly happy with
ML). I don't have much experience using LR5 (its a bit different than LR3) but, I'm
happy with the results and would do the same again.

Love the G16. It's not the same as my 1DMK4 + L lenses, but it does do a really nice
job. Hang in there. G16 RAW files in LR5 + some skill result in some nice pix.

sponsored links

3,679 views & 0 likes for this thread
G16, RAW, and LR3?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.