Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 15 Jan 2014 (Wednesday) 09:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is the gary fong diffuser worth the dough?

Sam6644
691 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 16, 2014 10:40 |  #16

gonzogolf wrote in post #16610146 (external link)
I got a chuckle out of reading your post as the first time I saw anyone use a plastic diffuser was an AP photographer back in the 80's. A lot of Photojournalists back then adopted the habit of making home made stofen like devices by cutting the bottom from a bottle of rubbing alcohol and sliding it over the face of the flash. It should be noted they didnt do that for any softening but more to get a decent spread of light while working in tight spaces with wide lenses. Most flashes back then did not have heads that automatically zoomed to match the lens width.

But was it a $50 cereal bowl?

my site (very outdated at this point) (external link)
Follow on Facebook for more regular updates (external link)
and and twitter (external link)
and instagram, too. (external link)
my blog (external link)

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,295 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 16, 2014 10:41 |  #17

Sam6644 wrote in post #16610321 (external link)
But was it a $50 cereal bowl?

no, but it was the great grandfather of it.

Aki78
963 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2006

Jan 16, 2014 10:47 |  #18

gonzogolf wrote in post #16607647 (external link)
I think the problem is often that new users are either mislead by advertising or fail to understand the limits of small modifiers. Even the suggested bounce cards provide mediocre light in circumstances where bouncing isnt an option.

Yes; advertising is key. Great marketing. Although I was tempted with his snoot product then realized umm I can make this on my own too? :lol:

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
15,166 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 16, 2014 11:55 |  #19

Yep. Check out what GF states the Puffer is capable of. I better be careful. After beating on it at DP Review a free years ago GF himself came on the thread, insulted my work and called me a loser with no life because I had about 6000 posts.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

bhursey
439 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 16, 2014 11:58 |  #20

I have the collapsible one. Its ok in an emergency pinch to avoid direct flash outside. Makes the light source a tad bigger. I have the collapsable one. Before I used a Chinese soup container worked just as well. :P

Cameras: Canon 60D and 20D
Canon EF lens used : 50mm f1.8, 18-55mm f/3.5-5.5, 75-300mm f/4.5-5, 85mm f/1.8, 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF)Strobist: Canon 580EX II , 2X YN-568EX, Nikon SB-24, LP-160, Pixel Mago, 4x Cactus RF60 , Voeloon V760 and 331EX, 4x YN622C and (cactus v4, v5, V6)"
http://flickr.com/phot​os/bhursey (external link) | http://brianhurseyphot​ography.com (external link)

Gareth ­ O'Neill
42 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Jan 16, 2014 14:44 |  #21

I saw this (external link) yesterday, which I though was a good idea, especially if you have a fong lying around.

kidsphotos.co.nz (external link)

SFzip
110 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 16, 2014 15:20 |  #22

digital paradise wrote in post #16610489 (external link)
Yep. Check out what GF states the Puffer is capable of. I better be careful. After beating on it at DP Review a free years ago GF himself came on the thread, insulted my work and called me a loser with no life because I had about 6000 posts.

Oh Yes, I recall that conversation. Gary Fong went on claiming that his lampshade was superior to all other diffusers—knocking down the Joe Demb Flip-It, Presslite Vertex, etc. According to him, the Lightsphere was so fantastic that half a million units were sold on word-of-mouth alone without advertising. The fact is that Gary Fong produced misleading sleight-of-hand advertising with his lampshade that was invented in 1918.

http://patentimages.st​orage.googleapis.com/p​ages/US1270261-0.png (external link)

Obsidian
107 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 16, 2014 16:25 |  #23

this thread represents everything wrong with the internet

Canon 50D 24-70L, 70-200 2.8 IS L

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,295 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 16, 2014 16:27 |  #24

Obsidian wrote in post #16611143 (external link)

How so?

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
15,166 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 16, 2014 16:36 |  #25

Obsidian wrote in post #16611143 (external link)

Yes. Inquiring minds would like to know.

Image Editing OK

geo35
518 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 18, 2014 08:56 |  #26

I'm gonna disagree with a lot of people and say, "sure, what the hell, it's worth fifty bucks." When shooting wedding receptions in a room with a relatively low white ceiling, I use my FongDong pretty regularly. But don't think it replaces a good working knowledge of lighting. I also bounce light from direct flash, use a Demb Flip-it or Flashbender outside now & then, or just bounce a 580EXII at full power into a California Sunbounce reflector that my assistant holds overhead. It depends on how many people in the shot, distance to subject, amount of ambient light in the room, shutter speed, etc. It's not going to solve ALL problems under all conditions, but is it worth dropping $50 to have one in your kit? I think so. But then, it's all relative. If you pull down six figures on weddings every year, sure, get the collapsible model and keep it in your shoulder bag. If you make minimum wage and scrape to make the rent, just make modifiers out of Clorox bottles or construction paper.

Aki78
963 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jan 18, 2014 09:55 |  #27

digital paradise wrote in post #16610489 (external link)

That's not cool :\ Everyone is going to have an opinion no matter how good (or bad) the product is.

lol @ FongDong geo35

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
15,166 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 18, 2014 10:58 |  #28

Aki78 wrote in post #16615532 (external link)
That's not cool :\ Everyone is going to have an opinion no matter how good (or bad) the product is.

lol @ FongDong geo35

It was not so bad being a peon and getting the kings attention.

Image Editing OK

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
42,068 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 18, 2014 11:04 |  #29

digital paradise wrote in post #16615687 (external link)
It was not so bad being a peon and getting the kings attention.

It is obvious that you do not know what you are talking about, and GF is all knowledgeable, in comparison...You do not own an expensive yacht, as he does.  :p Truly amazing what selling overpriced plastic can do for the bank account!
;)

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
15,166 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 18, 2014 11:20 |  #30

You must admit he did well and I was at one time looking for that magic bullet. Easy prey :) I had two and gave them away after taking lighting courses.

My local photo store is where I took lighting courses won't stock GF products even though they know they will make money. They do not agree what the advertising states they can do. They never pushed products or told people not to use any. They would answer questions, give you the facts and let you decide. There should be more non commission sales mom and pop businesses.

One of the big chain photo stores in Canada showed before and after images of the Puffer on their site. After basically eliminated all shadows, even the shadow on the wall behind the subject. After about 4 months they replaced that a less drastic change between the two images. Still more of a shadow reduction than what I believe it's size and what physics tells us can accomplish but at least it was not so blatant.

Image Editing OK

sponsored links

7,821 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is the gary fong diffuser worth the dough?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.