Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 15 Jan 2014 (Wednesday) 17:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

20/24mm lens for 60D

gremlin75
Goldmember
2,727 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 16, 2014 16:58 |  #16

PhilD23 wrote in post #16611025 (external link)
I *do not* want a zoom, although I know the Sigma 18-35 (for example) is a fantastic lens, because I don't want the temptation of simply changing the focal length rather than changing where I'm standing, reframing the shot etc.

Understandable, but are you willing to give up IQ just to have a prime?......wow, I think that might be the first time anyone has said "give up IQ to have a prime" not "give up IQ to have a zoom......anyways, moving on

If you compare the sigma 18-35mm f1.8 to other 20mm an 24mm primes under $1000 you will find that the sigma either kicks the crap out of the prime or at least win's in convincing fashion. The only prime that seems to be a contest with is the 24mm f2.8 IS and with that you're losing 1 1/3 stops of light, gaining IS but losing speed. Heck the IQ of the 18-35 seems to be just a little better then the 30mm Art too. Just some food for thought ;)

If you are absolutely dead set against a zoom then I'd say your money would be best served getting a used 24mm f1.4L. That might be the only prime, in that range and cost, that can compete with the 18-35

grayline
247 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Jan 16, 2014 17:11 |  #17

MalVeauX wrote in post #16609698 (external link)
Heya,

Sigma 18-35 F1.8.

Nothing will compare in terms of width, range, sharpness is near equal to primes, with this constant aperture.

Right at your price range.

Very best,

:arrow: I Concur

Gear List :EOS 70D ,Sigma 50mm 1.4,Tamron 18-270, Canon 18-55,Canon HFM31,Canon SX280HS,Olympus E-10 ,

InfiniteDivide
"I wish to be spared"
2,844 posts
Gallery: 265 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Jan 16, 2014 18:04 |  #18

PhilD23 wrote in post #16609756 (external link)
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I should have made it clearer that I'm definitely not looking for a zoom, only a prime. I've enjoyed the way the 30mm Sigma has forced me to think about my shots a little more. (And in any case I already have the Canon 10-22 and 15-85). Of the Canon and Sigma primes, does anyone have good or bad experiences of using them on a crop sensor?

You already have the Canon 10-22mm Problem solved. It is a excellent lens.
My copy has amazing colors when I it is bright and sunny out. f 5.6 - f 10

Set this at 15mm. It is a similar FOV of the 24mm on Full Frame.
Set it as 22mm and it is a similar FOV as 35mm on Full Frame.
This helped me decide on which prime to get.
If I were you, I would only look at very fast primes, such as the 1.4 lenses
This is one of the main reasons I chose them over any other prime.
They can work in very low light, thiner DOF, and they are sharper at 2.8 than other 2.8 lenses.
I based my recommendations on my own experiences.

James Patrus
6D | 16-35L F4 | 24L II | 50L | 100L | |  -> Website (external link) & Gallery (external link)
For Sale:Canon 16-35mm f4 IS l Do you enjoy Super Famicom games? (external link) PM me directly.

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,335 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 16, 2014 18:55 |  #19

i know you've said you don't want it...but it's still the best lens for what you are looking for...

the sigma 18-35mm could easily allow you to replace your 30mm as well...get it, and a roll of duct tape, and when you want to go to prime mode, tape it in place...think of it as 17 primes in one package without the hassle of having to swap lenses...say you go to take a shot with your 30mm, and find it's too long...what's the difference between swapping to another lens, and zooming out with a zoom?

if the 24L is out of your price range, i think the only lens faster than f2.8 and wider than 24mm is the sigma 20mm f1.8
and here's how it compares to the sigma 18-35mm at f1.8...
http://www.the-digital-picture.com …omp=0&FLIComp=0​&APIComp=0 (external link)

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2,339 views & 0 likes for this thread
20/24mm lens for 60D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.