Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 15 Jan 2014 (Wednesday) 17:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

3 ESSENTIAL MARKETING TACTICS FOR PHOTOGRAPHERS

this thread is locked
memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 16, 2014 17:55 |  #31

What about some decent data/metric? % Before/after etc noting what other changes were made that may have affected things too.

When you state "successful" now that is all relative to your original definition of success can you quantify those? Bearing in mind on man's version of success can be another man's version failure.

Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking your post or the concepts... but without hard data it leaves questions.

Peter

sponsored links
banquetbear
Goldmember
1,600 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 16, 2014 17:57 |  #32

grahamclarkphoto wrote in post #16611339 (external link)
I sell many more prints now than I did previous to understanding this stuff. For example, last week I sold 3x 24x36 prints, and this past monday I sold 13x prints to a company in Seattle who wanted artwork for their office. They saw the work in the SF gallery, didn't buy from the gallery but instead reached out separately (gallery commission still applies of course), so I'm seeing a much stronger 'halo effect' as well.

I do want to mention however that these tactics are always going to be changing, but the underlying human behavior that they trigger, will not. In fact that will always remain the same, so really getting under the surface of the tactics is where we want to be.

...so what percentage of sales increase did you experience? And do you now consider yourself a success?

www.bigmark.co.nzexternal link

digirebelva
Goldmember
3,987 posts
Gallery: 370 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 16, 2014 17:57 |  #33

grahamclarkphoto wrote in post #16609225 (external link)
Scarcity is a powerful mental trigger that is part of human nature and if you can use that to your advantage you stand to gain huge leverage.

If there's less of something humans want more of it. If there's nothing of something humans want even more of it..

Yes, but you are missing something...Name Recognition..without that, you can have the best looking images in the world (Not talking wedding, portrait etc.), but without a recognizable name, you are price limited to what folks will pay for, scarcity or not. And for that, someone else has to build you up, get your name out there, make you and your art a wanted commodity. Someone in a position to be able to do that. Then you can start selling for thousands per image...(maybe one day..after I'm gone I'm sure..:D.). When you start hearing someones name, what is the first thing generally you do...you look them up, find out more about them..maybe tell your friends....i.e you help to create more buzz..

You have your art in a gallery...which helps your sales tremendously...because someone else (the gallery) has created a buzz around your work..

EOS 6d, 7dMKII, Tokina 11-16, Tokina 16-28, Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8, Sigma 17-50 F/2.8, Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/2.8L, Mixed Speedlites and other stuff.

When it ceases to be fun, it will be time to walk away
Website (external link) | Fine Art America (external link)

grahamclarkphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
183 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 16, 2014 18:22 |  #34

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #16611372 (external link)
What about some decent data/metric? % Before/after etc noting what other changes were made that may have affected things too.

When you state "successful" now that is all relative to your original definition of success can you quantify those? Bearing in mind on man's version of success can be another man's version failure.

Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking your post or the concepts... but without hard data it leaves questions.

my average income off photography during the last 7 years has been hovering around 65-75k, now it's more like 10-12k per month.

- -
Graham Clark | grahamclarkphoto.com (external link)

grahamclarkphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
183 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 16, 2014 18:23 |  #35

banquetbear wrote in post #16611378 (external link)
...so what percentage of sales increase did you experience? And do you now consider yourself a success?

I experienced an increase of sales on 16x24 prints.

Consider myself a success? That's like asking do you think you're amazing? Do you?

We're talking about the selling of photographs, right? If so, then yes I'd consider my approach more successful now than before, definitely.

- -

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 16, 2014 18:27 |  #36

grahamclarkphoto wrote in post #16611466 (external link)
my average income off photography during the last 7 years has been hovering around 65-75k, now it's more like 10-12k per month.

All well and good. But the question at hand is specifically the % sales increase this tactic lead to... and what other factors changed (e.g. say a new gallery, different marketing etc).

Without more specifics directly relevant to the original post the data you just quoted is meaningless.

This should be information you should be able to provide at the drop of a hat.

Peter

grahamclarkphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
183 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 16, 2014 18:28 |  #37

digirebelva wrote in post #16611381 (external link)
Yes, but you are missing something...Name Recognition..without that, you can have the best looking images in the world (Not talking wedding, portrait etc.), but without a recognizable name, you are price limited to what folks will pay for, scarcity or not. And for that, someone else has to build you up, get your name out there, make you and your art a wanted commodity. Someone in a position to be able to do that. Then you can start selling for thousands per image...(maybe one day..after I'm gone I'm sure..:D.). When you start hearing someones name, what is the first thing generally you do...you look them up, find out more about them..maybe tell your friends....i.e you help to create more buzz..

You have your art in a gallery...which helps your sales tremendously...because someone else (the gallery) has created a buzz around your work..

Scarcity is only one of about 12 or so mental triggers. You're referring to Authority when you say recognition, and yes building authority is definitely important.

But the authority is not intrinsic, it's a perceived attribute that you build, you create it for yourself. By virtue of someone being in a gallery that establishes a certain element of authority. Having logos of magazines that you've published in also builds authority, so forth and so on.

By knowing that's part of the equation it allows you to critically consider how to incorporate such elements in your approach.

By the way, this thread is about 3 essential marketing tactics that I have found to be useful, they're not factual claims or absolute truths. :)

The human behavior behind what I'm talking about however, is. Let's focus instead on that since that's where the crux of sales is.

- -

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 16, 2014 18:29 |  #38

grahamclarkphoto wrote in post #16611471 (external link)
I experienced an increase of sales on 16x24 prints.

Consider myself a success? That's like asking do you think you're amazing? Do you?

We're talking about the selling of photographs, right? If so, then yes I'd consider my approach more successful now than before, definitely.

Sorry but that answer is "fluff". Why are you being so subversive?

Peter

grahamclarkphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
183 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 16, 2014 18:33 |  #39

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #16611487 (external link)
All well and good. But the question at hand is specifically the % sales increase this tactic lead to... and what other factors changed (e.g. say a new gallery, different marketing etc).

Without more specifics directly relevant to the original post the data you just quoted is meaningless.

This should be information you should be able to provide at the drop of a hat.

You asked for before and after, you got it.

I spent quite a bit of time putting together this post for the benefit of other photographers, not get into a troll war.

As I said in my previous reply, these tactics are methods on the surface of marketing, and they always change. They ebb and flow. The human behavior is what the focus should be, which is underneath the tactics.

But don't take my word for it, I'm not a professor of psychology and human behavior, only a student. But he is: https://app.box.com/s/​rdcgfdf5924ibc2vqe4q (external link)

- -

Andrushka
"all warm and fuzzy"
3,735 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 16, 2014 18:35 |  #40

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #16611496 (external link)
Sorry but that answer is "fluff". Why are you being so subversive?

dude mellow... he is handing out some good general marketing tactics for fine art photography from his experience. I for one appreciate it.

http://www.paradigmpho​tographyoc.com (external link)

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 16, 2014 18:57 |  #41

Andrushka wrote in post #16611512 (external link)
dude mellow... he is handing out some good general marketing tactics for fine art photography from his experience. I for one appreciate it.

I'm perfectly mellow thank you. However when assessing any marketing techniques against other potential marketing techniques I look at potential comparative returns. Simply saying I have "increased sales" and am "more successful" doesn't cut it for me I'm afraid. There is a distinct lack of context.

To the OP this is not a troll war. You're only presenting a portion of the relevant information. How much time you did or did not spend putting it together does not make any difference to the incomplete nature of the information.

If anyone claims "success" then it is far from unreasonable to ask them to quantify that success with meaningful and relevant information.

Peter

grahamclarkphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
183 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 16, 2014 19:16 |  #42

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #16611564 (external link)
I'm perfectly mellow thank you. However when assessing any marketing techniques against other potential marketing techniques I look at potential comparative returns. Simply saying I have "increased sales" and am "more successful" doesn't cut it for me I'm afraid. There is a distinct lack of context.

To the OP this is not a troll war. You're only presenting a portion of the relevant information. How much time you did or did not spend putting it together does not make any difference to the incomplete nature of the information.

If anyone claims "success" then it is far from unreasonable to ask them to quantify that success with meaningful and relevant information.

How about you call me via Skype and we can chat about it offline from this post? I agree with you, there's not enough information in this post...

I’m currently finishing a book titled Breakthrough Marketing Strategies & Tactics for Photographers. I'm pretty excited as it was just accepted for publication in 51 international stores. The above was an excerpt from the book, which means it was out of context, to say the least.

Send me an email the day it launches and I'll send you a free copy. Click here to get notified when it goes on sale (external link), and remember to send me an email so I don't forget. Perhaps we can pick this back up when everything is in context?

- -

Andrushka
"all warm and fuzzy"
3,735 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 16, 2014 19:21 |  #43

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #16611564 (external link)

Haha - glad we are all mellow :-)

If you have another marketing strategy to present specific to fine art sales, I'm all ears. I have no marketing strategy, so I'd be stoked on any well thought out/experiential information

http://www.paradigmpho​tographyoc.com (external link)

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 16, 2014 19:23 |  #44

grahamclarkphoto wrote in post #16611625 (external link)
How about you call me via Skype and we can chat about it offline from this post? I agree with you, there's not enough information in this post...

No thanks. Why knowingly post incomplete information here?

Let's call a spade a spade... the whole point to your post was to get to the point of pushing your book... correct? I have no problems with that... but that is what it is.

Peter

grahamclarkphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
183 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 16, 2014 19:26 |  #45

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #16611634 (external link)
No thanks. Why knowingly post incomplete information here?

Let's call a spade a spade... the whole point to your post was to get to the point of pushing your book... correct? I have no problems with that... but that is what it is.

- -

sponsored links

14,982 views & 0 likes for this thread
3 ESSENTIAL MARKETING TACTICS FOR PHOTOGRAPHERS
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.