Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 15 Jan 2014 (Wednesday) 17:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

3 ESSENTIAL MARKETING TACTICS FOR PHOTOGRAPHERS

this thread is locked
grahamclarkphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
183 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 16, 2014 19:33 |  #46

Andrushka wrote in post #16609664 (external link)
Thats solid info right there, I appreciate that!

Ok but say I have 18 distinct pieces (my current real life example (external link)) - in 2 sizes each - is that too many? (or too few?)

So I just got the 8x8 Styrene prints in, I'll upload you a photograph here when I start assembling them.

Styrene is resin, but it has the appearance and durability of plastic. The prints are mounted to the styrene and they come flat. If you go to Home Depot and buy a few different lengths of wood, you can cut the wood so they're small blocks that go on the back. Using Weldbond (glue) you can affix them to the back of the image. Then with two very small gold nails on either end of the wood to provide anchors for the brass wire and now you have a hanger.

Wood, plus little nails glue and wire is all pretty darn cheap.

So total price breakdown is:

- 8x8 Lustre print: $1.75
- Black Styrene: $4.65
- Wood: $.23
- Little gold nails: $.07
- Glue: $.02
- Wire: $.09
TOTAL: $6.81

Okay, i guessed on the smaller items but I'm sure that's not too far off...

They could be sold for anywhere between maybe $40 and $100? What's nice is that they're square, small enough for any space and the lustre print has really high resolution, so you don't lose quality like you would if you went canvas! :)

- -
Graham Clark | grahamclarkphoto.com (external link)

sponsored links
Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,234 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jan 17, 2014 05:49 |  #47

Graham,

Thanks for a very useful post. How would your philosophies apply to strictly online sales through a POD service?

Website (external link) |

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 17, 2014 13:31 |  #48
bannedPermanent ban

Thanks for all your info in this thread, Graham. As a former writer, I sympathise with you and wish you the best. I took advantage of the pre-launch link you provided, your willingness to share and help others in this thread piqued my interest. :)

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

NewCreation
Goldmember
3,216 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2013

Jan 17, 2014 14:54 |  #49

Alveric wrote in post #16613458 (external link)
Thanks for all your info in this thread, Graham. As a former writer, I sympathise with you and wish you the best. I took advantage of the pre-launch link you provided, your willingness to share and help others in this thread piqued my interest. :)

+1 I appreciate your helpfulness.

My name is Brenda ~Saved by grace, walking by faith
http://brendahoffmanph​otography.com (external link)
Facebook (external link)

Andrushka
"all warm and fuzzy"
3,735 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 17, 2014 23:10 as a reply to  @ post 16614082 |  #50

Have you read his recent threads? ha not new...

Thanks Graham - some of us are really appreciating your insight!

http://www.paradigmpho​tographyoc.com (external link)

digirebelva
Goldmember
3,987 posts
Gallery: 370 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 18, 2014 09:18 |  #51

Shane W wrote in post #16615380 (external link)
Oops! Sorry. Just some times your reading along and enjoying a great thread and along comes some.. well you get the idea. I edited my post as not to offend constructive contributors.

You may not like what he said, but in a nutshell he is right...and if you will notice the OP didnt disagree when called on it..

The OP is/has given some good info, there is no argument on that. But it's only a teaser so you will be more inclined to purchase his book once it comes out..;)

EOS 6d, 7dMKII, Tokina 11-16, Tokina 16-28, Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8, Sigma 17-50 F/2.8, Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/2.8L, Mixed Speedlites and other stuff.

When it ceases to be fun, it will be time to walk away
Website (external link) | Fine Art America (external link)

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 18, 2014 10:01 |  #52

Shane W wrote in post #16614082 (external link)
Leave. You're the (insert expletive of choice) at this party! Write your own helpful post. If you can.

I won't be leaving.

I say what I see. The OP is new to the forum. In one of their first posts they post an excerpt from their book which is appears they are plugging.

Firstly they say this...

"I spent quite a bit of time putting together this post for the benefit of other photographers"

Which then changes to this...

"I’m currently finishing a book titled Breakthrough Marketing Strategies & Tactics for Photographers. I'm pretty excited as it was just accepted for publication in 51 international stores. The above was an excerpt from the book"

Which is a little inconsistent...

I have no issues with people coming on to help others... but when you are pushing your own products (effectively for sale)... which this post was all about (the OP still hasn't responded to that question)... then why be dishonest/subversive about it?

The OP didn't answer Banquetbear's questions other than with this "Consider myself a success? That's like asking do you think you're amazing? Do you?" Which was entirely about avoiding answering the questions put to him.

If you are making a sales plug... at least be upfront and honest about it.

Funnily enough the "call me let's have a chat and keep this offline" line I have seen used in many FB groups when people have been called out in the same way by people pushing their products after dropping a teaser.

Peter

Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
9,334 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 18, 2014 23:33 |  #53
bannedPermanent ban

This is pretty straight advice. I think I can add something I think will benefit everyone: Building passionate rapport with the prospect. Rapport is a combination of three things I like to call the 3-Is: interest, involvement, and intimacy.

Once you attract the interest of the prospect, you involve them. There are many, many different strategies, such as getting them talking about themselves. Engage with them, have Involvement in the conversation; such as by asking good editorial questions. Intimacy, it's that point where you are beginning to build trust. You are now a friend, you have a professional (no jokes please..) relationship with the client built up. It may take a while to build up, or it may be immediate. It depends on the salesperson. It depends on what you're selling.

it is super important to be genuine.

This is what happens when you do not build the rapport first, you risk encountering opposition and rejection:

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #16615548 (external link)
I won't be leaving.

I say what I see. The OP is new to the forum. In one of their first posts they post an excerpt from their book which is appears they are plugging.

Firstly they say this...

"I spent quite a bit of time putting together this post for the benefit of other photographers"

Which then changes to this...

"I’m currently finishing a book titled Breakthrough Marketing Strategies & Tactics for Photographers. I'm pretty excited as it was just accepted for publication in 51 international stores. The above was an excerpt from the book"

Which is a little inconsistent...

I have no issues with people coming on to help others... but when you are pushing your own products (effectively for sale)... which this post was all about (the OP still hasn't responded to that question)... then why be dishonest/subversive about it?

The OP didn't answer Banquetbear's questions other than with this "Consider myself a success? That's like asking do you think you're amazing? Do you?" Which was entirely about avoiding answering the questions put to him.

If you are making a sales plug... at least be upfront and honest about it.

Funnily enough the "call me let's have a chat and keep this offline" line I have seen used in many FB groups when people have been called out in the same way by people pushing their products after dropping a teaser.

I've been called a "Happy salesman" because my goal is to do the above, genuinely get to know people, genuinely build that interest/rapport, and once identifying that interest in my acquiring my work, I then want to help them do that in the most accessible, convenient, and entertaining way for them. Many sales professionals don't take the time. Or they're trained not to. I feel this is flawed. On this flip side the people who sell hard and fast is they rush, either on purpose or not, and skip the rapport building and go right to the rest. Like a template the formula becomes Interest, Benefit, Benefit, Benefit, Call to action (optional Incentive) Sale.

I think it should go more like this: Rapport (3-Is: Interest, Involvement, Intimacy), Benefit, Benefit, Benefit, Call to action, optional incentive, close sale.

Adventurous Photographer, Writer (external link) & Wedding Photographer (external link)

Andrushka
"all warm and fuzzy"
3,735 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 19, 2014 02:13 |  #54

Karl Johnston wrote in post #16617320 (external link)
This is pretty straight advice. I think I can add something I think will benefit everyone: Building passionate rapport with the prospect. Rapport is a combination of three things I like to call the 3-Is: interest, involvement, and intimacy.

Once you attract the interest of the prospect, you involve them. There are many, many different strategies, such as getting them talking about themselves. Engage with them, have Involvement in the conversation; such as by asking good editorial questions. Intimacy, it's that point where you are beginning to build trust. You are now a friend, you have a professional (no jokes please..) relationship with the client built up. It may take a while to build up, or it may be immediate. It depends on the salesperson. It depends on what you're selling.

it is super important to be genuine.

This is what happens when you do not build the rapport first, you risk encountering opposition and rejection:

I've been called a "Happy salesman" because my goal is to do the above, genuinely get to know people, genuinely build that interest/rapport, and once identifying that interest in my acquiring my work, I then want to help them do that in the most accessible, convenient, and entertaining way for them. Many sales professionals don't take the time. Or they're trained not to. I feel this is flawed. On this flip side the people who sell hard and fast is they rush, either on purpose or not, and skip the rapport building and go right to the rest. Like a template the formula becomes Interest, Benefit, Benefit, Benefit, Call to action (optional Incentive) Sale.

I think it should go more like this: Rapport (3-Is: Interest, Involvement, Intimacy), Benefit, Benefit, Benefit, Call to action, optional incentive, close sale.

Yeah Karl - good stuff bro!

http://www.paradigmpho​tographyoc.com (external link)

grahamclarkphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
183 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 20, 2014 19:20 |  #55

Picture North Carolina wrote in post #16612536 (external link)
Graham,

Thanks for a very useful post. How would your philosophies apply to strictly online sales through a POD service?

Thanks! I'm glad you could find it informative.

In my opinion selling online requires a different set of strategies. If we agree that a photography website is a key component to an online strategy then design and engagement is very important. To my mind there are 5 essential things any photography website must have:

1. Enlightening Images
2. Effortless Navigation
3. Beautiful Typography
4. Engagement Evidence, or sometimes called Social Proof
5. High Quality Content

Notice that most of these except for the last one are things that usually occur below our conscious threshold, but are nevertheless important and present in all the best sites.

Once you have something for sale on your website it's all about driving traffic and converting. Having high conversion is difficult, so it's usually all about law of averages.

You can gain massive leverage and get higher conversions if you provide really strong and valuable content to your visitors. This is done via emails. It's the strongest form of direct response marketing available to us.

In order to get the emails of people that visit your site (and in effect raise their hands indicating interest in your work) you give something of real value away for free. You give away something that should cost money (I like to go as high as $100) but instead they get it for free, in exchange for their emails.

You provide consistent value and really high quality content to them often. Once you have something to sell that direct like of communication reciprocates.

But again, none of this works if the work being sold sucks, and if the content being delivered is of equal quality.

Graham

- -

grahamclarkphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
183 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 20, 2014 19:21 |  #56

Alveric wrote in post #16613458 (external link)

Awesome! I'm really glad you could find it useful : )

- -

grahamclarkphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
183 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 20, 2014 19:26 |  #57

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #16615548 (external link)
I won't be leaving.

1. Chill on the trolling
2. Did I not offer to give it to you for free? Actually I'll give it away for free to anyone on photography-on-the.net. Just send me your email.
3. Chill on the trolling

- -

thedcmule2
Goldmember
1,125 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 20, 2014 19:28 |  #58

Oh yes I'd love to receive a copy graham, I for one appreciate all this!

Does the book contain in-depth info on selling online?

grahamclarkphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
183 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 20, 2014 19:28 |  #59

Karl Johnston wrote in post #16617320 (external link)

I completely agree. The best marketers are the ones that are expert relationship builders, and as a result they know the prospect and the problems they face intimately. Only at that point can they meet the prospect on their level.

Too often do people expect for the prospect to come to the sellers level. It's a left-over vestige of something called having a job. But as you say, having a genuine interest in the prospects world is the key to opening that line of communication, which is so critical in this day and age where the average consumer BS detector is so incredibly fine tuned.

Graham

- -

grahamclarkphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
183 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 20, 2014 19:29 |  #60

thedcmule2 wrote in post #16622283 (external link)
Oh yes I'd love to receive a copy graham, I for one appreciate all this!

Sure! Here's the link where to sign up. When it launches just send me a personal email with your POTN username and you're all set.

https://theartofphotog​raphy.leadpages.net/br​eakthrough-launch/ (external link)

- -

sponsored links

14,965 views & 0 likes for this thread
3 ESSENTIAL MARKETING TACTICS FOR PHOTOGRAPHERS
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.