Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 10 Jan 2014 (Friday) 23:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Can I use this for a portfolio?

ijohnson
Goldmember
1,646 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Jan 14, 2014 22:09 |  #46

Kanye wrote in post #16606453 (external link)
smh

Aw. I'm too old or inexperienced to know what that means. Darn it!

www.trickoflight.net (external link)
http://www.pbase.com/i​tj12345 (external link)
Original 5D still ROCKS!!!

sponsored links
cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 14, 2014 22:10 |  #47

ijohnson wrote in post #16606516 (external link)
Aw. I'm too old or inexperienced to know what that means. Darn it!

Shoeing My Horses I think.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jan 17, 2014 09:30 |  #48

I am surprised by the extend of spectrum of comments here. You have very good advise, very bad advise and then funny nonsense comments that the first one helps if you know which is that, second one really hurts if you listen to and third type won't hurt but add some taste to keep it going.
Well based on my understanding and opinion, Sandzat #17 gave you good advise, the best real work her that has brought your image upto total shine level is Navydoc's edit - #31 (Why it has to be always from So Cali residents, all the time - Well taking care of fellow resident;)). & NO I am not talking of the Hollywood look. That simple few degrees clockwise "Tilt of head". I believe that is where the total magic happened. In other words that simple "Not sure what to do today" highschool girl's face, turned (literarily) into "A lady with statement".

What I added (Only a tad job on extensive work of Navydoc) is to take care for that distracting left axilla line and left shoulder (Right side of image) that was best, in first place, to be covered by her beautiful hair, by photographer's advise at shooting secession. A collage of some of images in this thread including original image in upper mid for quick check(Img #2).

Bottom line: You are doing good job. Pay attention to the right advise and keep up your good work.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 17, 2014 11:11 |  #49

Still looks like she can't stand the photographer.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

Grizz
Cream of the Crop
5,496 posts
Gallery: 318 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 17, 2014 12:32 as a reply to  @ cdifoto's post |  #50

Lets make her smile and everyone's happy! :)

HOSTED PHOTO

Craig * Canon 7D Mark II * 60D * 10D * Tamron SP 150-600 f/5-6.3 Di VC USD * EF 400 5.6L USM * EF 17-40 4.0L USM * EF 70-210 4.0 * EF 28 2.8 * EF 50 1.8 MK1*Flickr (external link)

windpig
Chopped liver
14,998 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 17, 2014 12:45 |  #51

peter Hurley's "all about the jaw" would be apropos for this session IMO:
http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=Qe3oJnFtA_k (external link)

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

sirquack
Goldmember
2,590 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2013

Jan 17, 2014 13:56 |  #52

Not gonna lie. I used to think Kanye was a bit of a pain due to some of his responses to previous posts, but now I just think CDI is a word that rhymes with stick.

Name is Ron.
Bodies - 6D/5D3/7D2-Gripped
Lenses - Canon 17-40 F4/24-70 F2.8 II/85 F1.8/Canon 70-200 F2.8 II/F4/Sigma 30 DC/Tamron 150-600
Website (external link)
Flickr (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 17, 2014 14:25 |  #53

sirquack wrote in post #16613516 (external link)
Not gonna lie. I used to think Kanye was a bit of a pain due to some of his responses to previous posts, but now I just think CDI is a word that rhymes with stick.

I get that a lot.

No worries though. I simply prefer photos that make people look good beyond just being a pretty girl or boy.

Kanye
THREAD ­ STARTER
670 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Jan 17, 2014 15:47 |  #54

samsen wrote in post #16612928 (external link)
I am surprised by the extend of spectrum of comments here. You have very good advise, very bad advise and then funny nonsense comments that the first one helps if you know which is that, second one really hurts if you listen to and third type won't hurt but add some taste to keep it going.
Well based on my understanding and opinion, Sandzat #17 gave you good advise, the best real work her that has brought your image upto total shine level is Navydoc's edit - #31 (Why it has to be always from So Cali residents, all the time - Well taking care of fellow resident;)). & NO I am not talking of the Hollywood look. That simple few degrees clockwise "Tilt of head". I believe that is where the total magic happened. In other words that simple "Not sure what to do today" highschool girl's face, turned (literarily) into "A lady with statement".

What I added (Only a tad job on extensive work of Navydoc) is to take care for that distracting left axilla line and left shoulder (Right side of image) that was best, in first place, to be covered by her beautiful hair, by photographer's advise at shooting secession. A collage of some of images in this thread including original image in upper mid for quick check(Img #2).

Bottom line: You are doing good job. Pay attention to the right advise and keep up your good work.

Wow, thanks. I've been doing a bit of research on what types of positions make woman look the best, i.e. slimmer, prettier, and so forth.

cdifoto wrote in post #16613618 (external link)
I get that a lot.

No worries though. I simply prefer photos that make people look good beyond just being a pretty girl or boy.

Care to share a fine example of your own of whatever you're talking about? :razz:

Boone13
387 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Jan 17, 2014 18:50 |  #55

Good one Grizz, haha.

Some moments are too amazing to be ruined with words.

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 17, 2014 21:59 |  #56

Kanye wrote in post #16613800 (external link)
Care to share a fine example of your own of whatever you're talking about? :razz:

It's a concept to grasp when taking peoples' money. Most people take photos and think the pretty girls look good no matter what...since they're pretty.

When you accept money to take someone's photo you want to try to take it to that next level. Make them look far better than they ever did in any other photo before. Blow their minds, so to speak. Generally speaking that means pleasant expressions rather than the ones I see in this thread.

Shooting for yourself, do what you want. No one cares one way or another. Portfolio, however, suggests you want to solicit paid work.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I'm not even trying to imply that I'm perfect and your having not met my clients means showing photos really won't demonstrate anything.

Kanye
THREAD ­ STARTER
670 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Jan 17, 2014 22:42 |  #57

The reason I'm asking is because you're quite vocal in your critique without any actual input or critique that makes any sense. Just asking for an example -- preferably of yours -- that can be used in a portfolio. To know you're talking about requires an example at least!

Make sense?

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 17, 2014 23:31 |  #58

Kanye wrote in post #16614686 (external link)
The reason I'm asking is because you're quite vocal in your critique without any actual input or critique that makes any sense. Just asking for an example -- preferably of yours -- that can be used in a portfolio. To know you're talking about requires an example at least!

Make sense?

I know what you're saying. But an example of mine wouldn't do you any good other than looking at my previous posts and seeing they lack expressions that suggest I tossed a stink bomb in front of them. I've yet to see any slouchy posture and disgusted expression that makes a GOOD photo, let alone one that parents would buy.

Kanye
THREAD ­ STARTER
670 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Jan 17, 2014 23:35 |  #59

cdifoto wrote in post #16614774 (external link)
I know what you're saying. But an example of mine wouldn't do you any good other than looking at my previous posts and seeing they lack expressions that suggest I tossed a stink bomb in front of them. I've yet to see any slouchy posture and disgusted expression that makes a GOOD photo, let alone one that parents would buy.

Pretty sure you still don't know what you're talking about lol

Looking for constructive criticism here; aka learning by example.

Not vague abstractions or half-ass commentary.

grayline
247 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Jan 17, 2014 23:47 |  #60

My Opinion.. Too Centered Lighting is close overall shot Good
Maybe shoot at 50 and crop?
She has a Disgusted Look on her face. Is she a model?

Gear List :EOS 70D ,Sigma 50mm 1.4,Tamron 18-270, Canon 18-55,Canon HFM31,Canon SX280HS,Olympus E-10 ,

sponsored links

7,328 views & 0 likes for this thread
Can I use this for a portfolio?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.