Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 14 Jan 2014 (Tuesday) 13:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Spider Alternative

v35skyline
Goldmember
3,572 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 15, 2014 07:45 |  #16

SYS wrote in post #16606565 (external link)
So I gather that you prefer the Spider over the Clip because of the grip. What would you have preferred if you do not use the grip? And why?

I have both the Spider and Clip. I use the Spider when I'm gripped and the Clip when I'm not. I prefer the Clip because I feel it's more secure, less wobbling around. The Spider dangles too much for my comfort, but it works better with a grip so I keep both around.

X100s | X-Pro1 | X-T1 | XF 14 | XF 18 | XF 35 | XF 56 | XF 60 | XF 10-24
Gear List & Feedback

sponsored links
SYS
Cream of the Crop
10,278 posts
Gallery: 227 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2004

Jan 15, 2014 07:49 |  #17

v35skyline wrote in post #16607230 (external link)
I have both the Spider and Clip. I use the Spider when I'm gripped and the Clip when I'm not. I prefer the Clip because I feel it's more secure, less wobbling around. The Spider dangles too much for my comfort, but it works better with a grip so I keep both around.

That's what I thought. Thank you for the confirmation. :)

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear

SYS
Cream of the Crop
10,278 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Jan 15, 2014 08:01 |  #18

adza77 wrote in post #16606761 (external link)
I've been looking into a similar sort of setup. I notice that Lowepro have a harness option as well as a vest - so maybe a harness would be appropriate?

I've started another thread (to not take this one off topic) as I'm currently debating a vest vs a harness (or other options) here: https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=16606757#po​st16606757

Have you considered Think Tank belt system (Pro Speed Belt or Steroid Belt) with the harness for weight support along with their modular pouches? After checking out various other systems out there -- vest, Cotton Carrier, Black Rapids, etc. -- this TT system is what I liked the best. I've also ordered a Peak Design Capture Clip V.2 to go with the TT belt and harness system.

-Goethe
My Gear

iazybandit
Goldmember
2,121 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 15, 2014 08:14 |  #19

SYS wrote in post #16606565 (external link)
So I gather that you prefer the Spider over the Clip because of the grip. What would you have preferred if you do not use the grip? And why?

v35skyline wrote in post #16607230 (external link)

Same setup as v35.

If I'm gripped, I would go with Spider. It hugs closer to the body (same with non-gripped). If I'm not gripped, I would go with Clip because this would hug closer to body. Also, with the clip, there's less moving around of the camera and if you need to change lenses, the Clip can kind of be your 3rd hand by having the camera facing up or to the side rather than down.

Canon :: 5D Mark IV | EOS M5
Glass/Gear :: Canon 24-70L II | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF-M 22mm | EF-M 11-22
FULL GEAR LIST | FEEDBACK
FS: Moza Air Gimbal with Thumb Controller and Moza AirCross Gimbal | Custom SLR Dual Glide Strap, BounceLite Flash Modifier, Tolifo LED Light, Varavon Monopod

SYS
Cream of the Crop
10,278 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Jan 15, 2014 08:25 |  #20

1KIND wrote in post #16607307 (external link)
Same setup as v35.

If I'm gripped, I would go with Spider. It hugs closer to the body (same with non-gripped). If I'm not gripped, I would go with Clip because this would hug closer to body. Also, with the clip, there's less moving around of the camera and if you need to change lenses, the Clip can kind of be your 3rd hand by having the camera facing up or to the side rather than down.

Thanks, it's good to know that the Clip is easier for changing lenses!

-Goethe
My Gear

mike1812
337 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 16, 2014 13:13 |  #21

SYS wrote in post #16607281 (external link)
Have you considered Think Tank belt system (Pro Speed Belt or Steroid Belt) with the harness for weight support along with their modular pouches? After checking out various other systems out there -- vest, Cotton Carrier, Black Rapids, etc. -- this TT system is what I liked the best. I've also ordered a Peak Design Capture Clip V.2 to go with the TT belt and harness system.

This is another option I've been considering. I have 2 of Lowe Pro's modular pouches (similar to TT) that I used on the spyder belt once. I would feel so much more comfortable using a harness with a belt system to provide more weight distribution and secondary security against belt falling down.

EF 135L | EF 70-300 L | ST-E3-RT | (4) Einstein E640s | Sekonic L-758 | Sony A7RII Gripped | Sony A7RIII Gripped | Sony 16-35GM | Sony FE 55 f/1.8 | Sony FE 85 f/1.4 GM | Sony FE 100-400GM | Sony 1.4x | Sony HVL-60M | Sigma MC-11 | Flashpoint Xplor AD600 | Flashpoint AD200 (2)| Flashpoint AD360 | plus too many doodads to list

mike1812
337 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 16, 2014 13:14 |  #22

jmikolich wrote in post #16605409 (external link)
I like the idea of using both, but that seems somewhat of a hassle to "draw from the hip" or do you leave the RS attached as you're shooting?

I generally leave the RS attached at all times. If I'm shooting rather frequently, I may not lock it in the Spyder but let it dangle from the strap. If I'm walking from one location to the next, or won't be shooting for a bit, then I put it in the Spyder holster with the BR Strap still around my neck.

EF 135L | EF 70-300 L | ST-E3-RT | (4) Einstein E640s | Sekonic L-758 | Sony A7RII Gripped | Sony A7RIII Gripped | Sony 16-35GM | Sony FE 55 f/1.8 | Sony FE 85 f/1.4 GM | Sony FE 100-400GM | Sony 1.4x | Sony HVL-60M | Sigma MC-11 | Flashpoint Xplor AD600 | Flashpoint AD200 (2)| Flashpoint AD360 | plus too many doodads to list

iazybandit
Goldmember
2,121 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 16, 2014 13:31 |  #23

mike1812 wrote in post #16610715 (external link)
I generally leave the RS attached at all times. If I'm shooting rather frequently, I may not lock it in the Spyder but let it dangle from the strap. If I'm walking from one location to the next, or won't be shooting for a bit, then I put it in the Spyder holster with the BR Strap still around my neck.

Must be a hassle to constantly swap out the FastenR and the pin. That's one thing I liked about Carry Speed straps. It used a ball pin system as well.

Here is my video of swapping between CS strap and Spider - https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=_n0fn8PxoHQ (external link)

But sucks that CS is no longer in the strap business due to legal issues and someone flexing their money power =(

FS: Moza Air Gimbal with Thumb Controller and Moza AirCross Gimbal | Custom SLR Dual Glide Strap, BounceLite Flash Modifier, Tolifo LED Light, Varavon Monopod

KSG ­ Photography
342 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jan 16, 2014 14:12 |  #24

Have you looked at the Cotton Carrier?
I've used one for 4 1/2 years now and find it to be an excellent solution. Two cameras can be carried locked and secure. I did a review on my blog last month, although the new ones have a couple of minor changes they're still pretty much the same:
http://ksgphotography.​blogspot.co.uk …otton-carrier-review.html (external link)

2x 7d, EOS 3 film body, G15, X-Pro1 with 18mm f2, 35mm f1.4 & 60mm f2.4 macro, Kiev rangefinder with 50mm lens. 70-200 f4L, 17-40 f4 L, 50mm f2.5 macro, nifty fifty, 20-40 EX HSM, Samyang 85mm f1.4, Rokinon 8mm f3.5, 2x Fuji X-Pro1, Fuji XF 18mm f2, 35mm f1.4, 60mm f2.4 macro, 3x Yongnuo 560 II, 540EZ, Phottix Strato 2 wireless triggers, extension tubes, Manfrotto 055 tripod, manfrotto monopod.

happy2010
Looking for the light first
559 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 16, 2014 15:33 |  #25

The Peak Desgn CLIP on waist belt is small, subtle and effective when one doesn't have to carry heavy loads, nor do too much walking.

Just to chime in with a few other potential camera “shooting” options (with the caveat: that only YOU can decide what is the best arrangement(s) for yourself)…

If there is a lot of walking/hiking activity involved between shots, then I found and prefer this:
Cotton Carrier VEST:
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …_Carrier_Camera​_Vest.html (external link)
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …_Camera_Vest_fo​r_All.html (external link)
-very convenient and comfortable particularly if utilizing two cameras and say for multi-location portraits in a given area, or beach portraits.

Or,
While you don't want sheathed and prefer to be minimalist, these are handly if need other lesnes, want to go into restaurants, etc...
One of these two Think Tank Convertible “shooting” bags, both with nifty retractable waist belts to comfortably hold & distribute the load –

Think Tank SPEED FREAK V2.0:
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …reak_V2_0_Black​_Gray.html (external link)
http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=CagxLWXmWHw (external link) (1:42 minute product video)
http://www.thinktankph​oto.com/products/speed​-freak-v2.aspx (external link) (39 second product video)
-small & convenient.

Think Tank SPEED RACER V2.0:
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …acer_V2_0_Black​_Gray.html (external link)
-if more capacity required (including holding say a 5DmkIII with mounted 70-200f2.8L IS mkII) .
-a bit large but so is a mounted 70-200f2.8 IS mkII.

Yes, I own all of these and NO my pants don’t fall down with any of them!

MARY

jmikolich
THREAD ­ STARTER
388 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Jan 16, 2014 15:59 |  #26

Right those are all viable options but I don't want a vest, I want something that allows me to still look professional at weddings, ie a shirt/tie/dress vest, as opposed to a swat vest full of pockets stuffed with filters, AA batteries, etc.

Thats why I've stayed away from the cotton carrier, and the backpack systems.

-Jim
Canon 5D3,5D3,5D2,6D,24 f2.8 IS,35L,45 TS-E,50L,85 f1.8,70-200 f2.8L II,100L
Rokinon 14mm f2.8

adza77
652 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 16, 2014 16:16 |  #27

SYS wrote in post #16607281 (external link)

I haven't - but maybe I should. :) Thanks for the info.

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. - Abraham Lincoln

mike1812
337 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 16, 2014 17:07 |  #28

1KIND wrote in post #16610763 (external link)
Must be a hassle to constantly swap out the FastenR and the pin. That's one thing I liked about Carry Speed straps. It used a ball pin system as well.

Here is my video of swapping between CS strap and Spider - https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=_n0fn8PxoHQ (external link)

But sucks that CS is no longer in the strap business due to legal issues and someone flexing their money power =(

I think you misunderstood how I use it - there is no swapping out (I noted this in my original post that I don't use the BR lug on the tripod socket). The Spyder plate with the holster pin remains attached to the camera grip bottom through the tripod socket. I have an Optech utility loop connected to the strap lug on the top left of the camera. My black rapid strap is connected to the utility loop. That way, I put the pin in the holster, so it's attached to the spyder, and the strap is around my neck, acting as a safety chain if you will, keeping the camera in a fixed, non-swinging position in the spyder belt (at least, not swinging backwards past the tension of the strap).

iazybandit
Goldmember
2,121 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 16, 2014 19:52 |  #29

mike1812 wrote in post #16611243 (external link)
I think you misunderstood how I use it - there is no swapping out (I noted this in my original post that I don't use the BR lug on the tripod socket). The Spyder plate with the holster pin remains attached to the camera grip bottom through the tripod socket. I have an Optech utility loop connected to the strap lug on the top left of the camera. My black rapid strap is connected to the utility loop. That way, I put the pin in the holster, so it's attached to the spyder, and the strap is around my neck, acting as a safety chain if you will, keeping the camera in a fixed, non-swinging position in the spyder belt (at least, not swinging backwards past the tension of the strap).

Oh ok. I did miss your original post.

Tdragone
Goldmember
2,188 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Jan 18, 2014 00:34 |  #30

I love the spider harness system; and I don't have a big butt either. I have a 34" waist. What I like about Spider is the versatility to put the holster on my shorts, belt, camelback, lowepro trekker or overnight camping backpacks. The plate is awesome in that it has multiple attachment points so ou can get the camera/lens to 'kick' one way or the other or hang straight down. As others have mentioned: Using a grip makes the camera hang differently, and the spider plate helps with this.

Good luck finding a system that works for you. I love the spider... I can hike all day with my mk iv and 100-400 and I'm good.

-Tom Dragonetti
Spyder Holster + 1Dmk IV, 50D, G11
10-22, 16-35 2.8Lii, , 24-70 2.8Lii, 50mm 1.4,
70-200 2.8Lii IS, 100-400L IS
1.4x TC, 580EX ii, ST-E2

sponsored links

3,952 views & 0 likes for this thread
Spider Alternative
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.