Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 19 Jan 2014 (Sunday) 14:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

580EXII Repair - Bargain or ripoff?

n1as
Goldmember
2,327 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 19, 2014 14:21 |  #1

My 580EXII wasn't working right. I shipped it to Canon for repair. They appear to charge a flat rate of $184.

I got my flash back. They replace 2 parts:

• Case Ass'y, Accessory Shoe
  • Reflector Ass'y

Was my repair worth $184 or did the flat-rate nature of the repair mean that I financed someone else's more-extensive repair?

- Keith
http://darwinphoto.zen​folio.com (external link)

sponsored links
digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,463 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 19, 2014 14:41 |  #2

Did they charge you for parts?

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

FlashZebra
This space available
4,427 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 19, 2014 14:51 |  #3

n1as wrote in post #16618796 (external link)
My 580EXII wasn't working right. I shipped it to Canon for repair. They appear to charge a flat rate of $184.

I got my flash back. They replace 2 parts:
  • Case Ass'y, Accessory Shoe
  • Reflector Ass'y

Was my repair worth $184 or did the flat-rate nature of the repair mean that I financed someone else's more-extensive repair?

- Keith -

Your assessment of the "flat rate" process is likely not quite comprehensive enough.

Flat rate repairs negate the need for inserting a very costly up front diagnosis for a "spot on" estimate.

Eliminating this troubleshooting estimate, requiring a very skilled and costly technician, significantly reduces the repair costs for almost all patrons.

Often making something absolutely fair to all, results in making it far more expensive to all, much slower to all, and a millstone that can sink an entire operation.

If Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Sony, Pentax, etc cannot make most repairs via a far more streamlined flat rate methodology they might not do repairs at all.

This is is one of the major reasons most local camera gear, and other technical items, repair houses are are long out of business. The "sophisticated" pre-repair estimate on highly technical gear is just far too costly.

Enjoy! Lon

http://flashzebra.com/ (external link)

n1as
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,327 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 19, 2014 14:56 |  #4

The did not charge for parts. A quick internet search reveals that the parts would cost me about $75. That leaves about $90 for the labor charge.

How do I feel about it? I feel ripped of. I'm guessing it took a tech about 45 min to make the diagnosis & repairs. 45 minutes of labor plus $50 in parts (which is probably what their cost was) doesn't come close to the $184 it cost me. But, those are guesses. I might be off.

- Keith
http://darwinphoto.zen​folio.com (external link)

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,463 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 19, 2014 16:31 |  #5

Shop rate for cars, electronics, etc is anywhere from $90 to $130 an hour for manufacturer repair facilities. Every business adds a percentage to a part. Pretty standard and based on what I have read you are in the ball park on that one. No fun but you are not being ripped of as compared to the next person.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

Whortleberry
Goldmember
1,719 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 19, 2014 17:16 |  #6

Costing is much more than a simple "what do the parts cost us, how much do we pay the technician?". Factor in:

• Cost (to Canon) for warranty on the repair.
  • Insurance (of your product) while on their premises.
  • Return shipping charges.
  • Packaging materials for return.
  • Salary of person packing your gear for return.
  • Overheads and general cost of maintaining a US repair facility (light, heat, premises insurance, telephone, stationary, etc).
  • Local taxes for providing the facility.
  • Training costs for technicians.
  • Salary for technicians while training hence not earning money for the company.
  • Employee insurance costs.
  • Public liability insurance.
  • Cost of holding the parts in stock at all.
  • Cost of diagnostic machinery (whether or not it is used on your particular job it has to be available).
  • Even the costs of booking the equipment into their facility / booking it out for return / raising an invoice / bank charges for processing your payment.
  • Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.
  • Then there is the small matter of profit - no-one stays in business for very long if they do jobs at cost.

It always hurts when we get a bill for repairs. Always. If you're professional, it should be covered by your equipment insurance. If amateur, possibly by your household all-risks insurance??

I too don't feel that you've been ripped off at all. Granted that others may get a more expensive repair done with more parts replaced for the same flat-rate charge. So may you one day (though I sincerely hope it won't be necessary). Conversely, someone may pay the same amount for simply having the zoom reflector adjusted with no parts used at all. It's the price we pay for having the facility for in-country repair - imagine what it'd be if everything had to go back to Japan for repair and imagine how long you'd be without your gear.

Phil ǁ Kershaw Soho Reflex: 4¼" Ross Xpres, 6½" Aldis, Super XX/ABC Pyro in 24 DDS, HP3/Meritol Metol in RFH, Johnson 'Scales' brand flash powder. Kodak Duo Six-20/Verichrome Pan. Other odd bits over the decades, simply to get the job done - not merely to polish and brag about cos I'm too mean to buy the polish!
FlickR (external link) ◄► "The Other Yongnuo User Guide v4.12" by Clive Bolton (external link) ◄► UK Railway Photographs 1906-79 (external link)

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,399 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 19, 2014 17:57 |  #7

It is flat rate so you knew what the repair cost was going in and they fixed the problem. PLUS your repair is under warranty now.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

rudy_216
299 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jan 19, 2014 18:55 |  #8

While I would not like to pay that I don't consider it out of line.

joeseph
"smells like turd"
9,876 posts
Gallery: 107 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Jan 19, 2014 20:06 |  #9

n1as wrote in post #16618853 (external link)
The did not charge for parts. A quick internet search reveals that the parts would cost me about $75. That leaves about $90 for the labor charge.

How do I feel about it? I feel ripped of. I'm guessing it took a tech about 45 min to make the diagnosis & repairs. 45 minutes of labor plus $50 in parts (which is probably what their cost was) doesn't come close to the $184 it cost me. But, those are guesses. I might be off.

I think you're underestimating/missin​g a couple of things - firstly the time taken to analyse the problem & work out what needs replacing (you don't say exactly what wasn't working, but this step can often be the longest part of an electrical repair)
Secondly after replacing the part/parts, next step should be test to confirm correct operation - again it could take a bit of time to do properly to test all the functions. Canon do have speciallist test equipment but it wouldn't suprise me if flashes need to be tested by the tech.

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

-AP-
Goldmember
2,284 posts
Gallery: 187 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2008

Jan 19, 2014 20:12 |  #10

Whortleberry wrote in post #16619143 (external link)
Costing is much more than a simple "what do the parts cost us, how much do we pay the technician?". Factor in:
  • Cost (to Canon) for warranty on the repair.
  • Insurance (of your product) while on their premises.
  • Return shipping charges.
  • Packaging materials for return.
  • Salary of person packing your gear for return.
  • Overheads and general cost of maintaining a US repair facility (light, heat, premises insurance, telephone, stationary, etc).
  • Local taxes for providing the facility.
  • Training costs for technicians.
  • Salary for technicians while training hence not earning money for the company.
  • Employee insurance costs.
  • Public liability insurance.
  • Cost of holding the parts in stock at all.
  • Cost of diagnostic machinery (whether or not it is used on your particular job it has to be available).
  • Even the costs of booking the equipment into their facility / booking it out for return / raising an invoice / bank charges for processing your payment.
  • Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.
  • Then there is the small matter of profit - no-one stays in business for very long if they do jobs at cost.

Well said! I think it's a good price too for flash that was not working and now is... I recently sent my 430 in and the cost was less than a replacement, so I was happy..

WEBSITE (external link) | FACEBOOK (external link) | Canon 5d3 | SX50 HS | 7D2 |70-200L | 24-70L | 50mm f1.4 | YN-622c | Bunch of lights, a few more lenses and lots of other stuff..

Nick5
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jan 20, 2014 00:09 |  #11

You feel ripped off because you think you are?
Do you expect people to work for free? If so give back your salary for a week.

Canon 5D Mark III (x2), BG-E11 Grips, 7D (x2) BG-E7 Grips, Canon Lenses 16-35 f/4 L IS, 17-40 f/4 L, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 24-105 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 70-200 f/4 L IS, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS, TS-E 24 f/3.5 L II, 100 f/2.8 L Macro IS, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 17-55 f/2.8 L IS, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender III, 5 Canon 600 EX-RT, 2 Canon ST-E3 Transmitters, Canon Pixma PRO-10 Printer

jb_browneyes
Goldmember
2,107 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 20, 2014 00:36 |  #12

if you want people to value what YOU do as a professional then you need to value what other true Professionals do.

Jennifer
I only answer to THE highest authority

gear and website (external link)

Kanye
670 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Jan 20, 2014 00:59 |  #13

jb_browneyes wrote in post #16620076 (external link)
if you want people to value what YOU do as a professional then you need to value what other true Professionals do.

This.

I'm sure Canon tries the best to minimize costs as much as possible, because minimizing costs and elevating great customer service is the bread and butter of any good company.

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,595 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 20, 2014 06:31 |  #14

Why do you feel ripped off. Did you know what was wrong and how to take apart the flash and fix it. If so, you should have done it yourself. If not, pay the price or go out and buy a new one.......Your attitude sounds like your entitled........nothin​g is a free ride in this world........Fix it yourself or pay someone else....pretty simple concept.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

jb_browneyes
Goldmember
2,107 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 20, 2014 11:18 |  #15

^^^like^^^

Jennifer
I only answer to THE highest authority

gear and website (external link)

sponsored links

3,530 views & 0 likes for this thread
580EXII Repair - Bargain or ripoff?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.