Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 19 Jan 2014 (Sunday) 18:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need a tripod, Benro A2970F or Vanguard 263AT

Scoobert
Goldmember
1,176 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2013

Jan 19, 2014 18:29 |  #1

Really like that style of tripod for what I shoot and really enjoyed a friends Vanguard 264AT. But would prefer just a 3 section.

Any opinions on one over the other, or another suggestion?

I looked at a manfrotto 055xprob and really didn't like it much.

TIA
Scoob

sponsored links
peter_n
Goldmember
2,451 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 20, 2014 07:52 |  #2

I've not seen or used a Vanguard tripod but I have a Benro A2970T which is a twist lock version of the 2970F. I like it a lot; hefty (4.7 lbs), very stable and great value for money. I don't particularly like flip locks but the Benro locks are huge and very sturdy and I'm sure they will last.

~Peter

Scoobert
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,176 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Jan 20, 2014 09:33 |  #3

peter_n wrote in post #16620513 (external link)
I've not seen or used a Vanguard tripod but I have a Benro A2970T which is a twist lock version of the 2970F. I like it a lot; hefty (4.7 lbs), very stable and great value for money. I don't particularly like flip locks but the Benro locks are huge and very sturdy and I'm sure they will last.

Thanks for the input Peter. I went with the A2970F. I had really bad luck with the twist locks on my older manfrotto so I wanted to try the flips this time :)

meandtheblonde
138 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jan 20, 2014 10:03 as a reply to  @ Scoobert's post |  #4

Just picked up the Vanguard 263AB 100 and love it. Looked long and hard at Manfrotto and others. I wanted full variation for macro etc. and it offers great flexibility and stability combined.
Cheers

peter_n
Goldmember
2,451 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 20, 2014 10:57 |  #5

Scoobert wrote in post #16620729 (external link)
I went with the A2970F. I had really bad luck with the twist locks on my older manfrotto so I wanted to try the flips this time :)

I've always used twist locks and never had a problem. There's a reason why all the high-end tripods have twist locks - better stability. However, having seen and used Benro flip locks I've no doubt that they'll last a long time as they're really big and solid.

~Peter

Scoobert
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,176 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Jan 20, 2014 11:21 |  #6

peter_n wrote in post #16620934 (external link)
I've always used twist locks and never had a problem. There's a reason why all the high-end tripods have twist locks - better stability. However, having seen and used Benro flip locks I've no doubt that they'll last a long time as they're really big and solid.

Thanks for the lesson, since I am pretty much just a beginner I had no idea the twist were on the high end stuff. Since I tend not to shop in that area :) I just remember all the problems I had with the manfrotto and the legs "drifting" down.
My order has not shipped so i was going to change it to the A2970t....Benro no longer has twist locks on their tripods, with exception of the travel versions.:confused:

jbrackjr
481 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 20, 2014 18:20 |  #7

Scoobert wrote in post #16620990 (external link)
My order has not shipped so i was going to change it to the A2970t....Benro no longer has twist locks on their tripods, with exception of the travel versions.:confused:

You can find the A2970f model in the states but the T model was available on ebay from a seller named DC-Stuffs. Came in from China. But I don't see it listed any longer. :confused:

However, I have the A2970f and recommend it highly. The flip locks work very well, never a problem.

Jim
Gear List

Scoobert
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,176 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Jan 20, 2014 18:22 |  #8

jbrackjr wrote in post #16622106 (external link)
You can find the A2970f model in the states but the T model was available on ebay from a seller named DC-Stuffs. Came in from China. But I don't see it listed any longer. :confused:

However, I have the A2970f and recommend it highly. The flip locks work very well, never a problem.

Thank you for your input Jack, It's on its way to me now :cool:

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,491 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 20, 2014 18:40 |  #9

Having just moved over to a Benro, I much prefer their twist locks over flip locks. The flip locks have too many points where they can come loose (had this problem with my Manfrottos) and slide loose; whereas the twist locks (at least on the Benros) are "integral" in how they connect together.

The previously mentioned DC-Stuffs, on Ebay, ships the models that the US distributor doesn't carry (primarily non-travel, twist lock models) and was very good to shop through.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

peter_n
Goldmember
2,451 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 20, 2014 21:15 |  #10

I got my A2970T from Australia last March or April when they seemed to be disappearing, although I read more recently that Benro are still making them.

jbrackjr wrote in post #16622106 (external link)

+1. After using the Benro flip locks I can believe it!

~Peter

YonathanZ
121 posts
Joined May 2013

Jan 21, 2014 17:40 |  #11

I have an A2970T which I absolutely love. You can place it in all sorts of weird angles. I coupled it with a Fancier 6664H bullhead (40 bucks) and it's rock-solid.

sponsored links

4,453 views & 0 likes for this thread
Need a tripod, Benro A2970F or Vanguard 263AT
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.