Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 21 Jan 2014 (Tuesday) 10:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Facebook photo posts - bad idea?

3leggeddog
52 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jan 21, 2014 10:24 |  #1

I've been honing my photography for over 16 years (I'm 28 now), and want to finally attempt to make some money from it.

I regularly post my best/favorite photographs on my personal Facebook page. Is this a bad idea? In terms of copyright issues with Facebook in the event I want to sell one of the shots?

I know very little about this. A friend recently suggested that I maybe should have never posted any of my work on Facebook at all...that those images aren't really mine anymore.

1Ds Mk II, 10D, G15. 400 2.8 IS L, 100-400 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 75-300 EFII, 180 3.5 Macro L, 28-80 EFII, 17-35 2.8 L, 15 Fisheye. Uncle Pete, you were a photographer in your own league, thank you.

sponsored links
TroyRaymond
221 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 21, 2014 10:30 |  #2

Many well known photographers post regularly on Facebook to their fan base or for marketing.

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 21, 2014 10:34 |  #3

3leggeddog wrote in post #16623886 (external link)
A friend recently suggested that I maybe should have never posted any of my work on Facebook at all...that those images aren't really mine anymore.

That friend is not correct. The images are still yours and the copyright still belongs to you, but by posting images on Facebook, you've licensed Facebook to use your photos for very specific marketing purposes.

If you expect to sell specific images, don't post them online until AFTER you've been paid for them. Other than that, showing off your work online is a great way to demonstrate your skill and style to your fan base and potential clients.

Facebook alone is not a sufficient marketing tool to power your entire business.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

3leggeddog
THREAD ­ STARTER
52 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jan 21, 2014 10:47 |  #4

nathancarter wrote in post #16623914 (external link)
Facebook alone is not a sufficient marketing tool to power your entire business.

I hear you. Up until now, it's just been a way to share my work with family/friends (which has actually landed me occasional side work). But I'm ready to take the next step, have been for far too long.

1Ds Mk II, 10D, G15. 400 2.8 IS L, 100-400 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 75-300 EFII, 180 3.5 Macro L, 28-80 EFII, 17-35 2.8 L, 15 Fisheye. Uncle Pete, you were a photographer in your own league, thank you.

magoosmc
980 posts
Gallery: 80 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 21, 2014 20:31 |  #5

Not to highjack the thread but hopefully enhance it....

What size photo will survive the compression and produce a fairly clean image on Facebook, but small enough that if someone right clicks/downloads/print​s the image quality will result in an unusable print?

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/22055591@N05/a​lbums (external link)

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Jan 22, 2014 07:07 |  #6

3leggeddog wrote in post #16623886 (external link)
I've been honing my photography for over 16 years (I'm 28 now), and want to finally attempt to make some money from it.

I regularly post my best/favorite photographs on my personal Facebook page. Is this a bad idea? In terms of copyright issues with Facebook in the event I want to sell one of the shots?

I know very little about this. A friend recently suggested that I maybe should have never posted any of my work on Facebook at all...that those images aren't really mine anymore.

If you want total commercial control over an image, never post it on Facebook or anywhere else where it can be viewed on a website.

If an image can be viewed online, it can and will be copied and reused with impudence. (external link) If you're convinced your images are valuable, keep them to yourself.

magoosmc
980 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 22, 2014 07:48 |  #7

DC Fan wrote in post #16626493 (external link)
If you want total commercial control over an image, never post it on Facebook or anywhere else where it can be viewed on a website.

While true, the internet has become a necessary evil for photographers. I would like to post a photo on FB, without splashing a watermark across the front, that is clean enough to view but will look like crap when printed larger than postcard size.

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 22, 2014 09:52 |  #8

magoosmc wrote in post #16625516 (external link)
Not to highjack the thread but hopefully enhance it....

What size photo will survive the compression and produce a fairly clean image on Facebook, but small enough that if someone right clicks/downloads/print​s the image quality will result in an unusable print?

What size print? How do you define "unusable?"

Short answer: Not possible. The people who are downloading images from Facebook and printing them have very low standards for "usable" image/print quality.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

magoosmc
980 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 22, 2014 17:02 |  #9

nathancarter wrote in post #16626877 (external link)
Short answer: Not possible. The people who are downloading images from Facebook and printing them have very low standards for "usable" image/print quality.

I think you are right...

I uploaded a 900 x 600 image that was adequate for my purposes on FB. I had a friend "steal it" and print it from his computer. It came out a lot cleaner than I had expected. I would not have been happy with the quality, but as you said some people have pretty low standards.

sponsored links

1,800 views & 0 likes for this thread
Facebook photo posts - bad idea?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.