Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 20 Jan 2014 (Monday) 14:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Scott Kelby Explains Why He Switched to Canon

Frodge
Goldmember
3,087 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Jan 21, 2014 06:49 |  #31

umphotography wrote in post #16623359 (external link)
I Listened to it.

Kind of disagree with what some are saying. I believe him. Look,he can use anything he wants and any of these companies are going to seek him out because his training programs are so successful. The people that watch kelby training are the camera MFG's target audience

Kelby also knows that if he comes across as a money grabbing whore his training programs might loose credibility. Right now there is nothing better out there than Kelby training for entry level photographers.

So kelby is a smart guy. He is not going to do anything to disrupt kelby training.

He can use anything he wants and gave explanations for why he went canon. He never bad mouthed Nikon. Its a personal thing for everyone. So I dont think he would allow $$$ to dictate his decision because that might affect opinion on kelby training.

I think his decisions was based on what i have heard from many canon and Nikon shooters about the camera equipment.

1Dx was and is a game changer camera. Smart move to put one in his hands.

Even smarter move to let him take the little sister to Europe for the family vacation.

If you do both areas of photography,,as kelby does, Im not surprised in the least that he made the switch

It was late when I posted last night, so I was short and succinct. I'm sure he loves the canon. But I'm also sure there is something knit for him making the switch. Let's be realistic.

sponsored links
DagoImaging
Goldmember
1,940 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Jan 21, 2014 07:18 |  #32

He lost me when he said it felt like an apple....SMH...

Sony a6300/ 16-70/4 / 70-200/4 G / Sony HVL-60M

Frodge
Goldmember
3,087 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Jan 21, 2014 07:22 |  #33

DagoImaging wrote in post #16623422 (external link)
He lost me when he said it felt like an apple....SMH...

Probably getting funds from Apple. :)

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,584 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 21, 2014 07:25 |  #34

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #16622963 (external link)
Also, the Sony's AF is worse than Fuji based on literally everything I've read about it.

AF aside, I've read that sony's focus peaking is the best in the business. I don't know if the Fuji has peaking or not, but IMO, that's the most important factor of mirrorless to me.

Sony does have a distinct advantage for a few reasons:

True FF. 35mm = 35mm, no guesswork (you may be severely underestimating this factor).

Can adapt all sorts of lenses due to flange distance, notilux, 1.2 vintage glass.

Did I mention top of the line focus peaking?

My understanding of Fuji is that they have the best sensors and the absolute finest lenses. Sharpness rivals FF cameras to an extent (Sony A7 with native lens will crush it). However, bokeh and color tonality not completely there, and never will be due to physical size of the sensors.

Back to Kelby. I've followed the guy, even if he was a Nikon shooter. I really like and admire the guy back then, and still do now. He comes off very genuine, and I can agree on every point he's brought up as a reason to switch. Most importantly, he does a lot of people photography, it's his bread and butter. Skin tones with canon just cannot be matched.

Sony A7siii/A7iii/ZV-1 - FE 24/1.4 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 - 28-200 RXD
Panasonic G9 - Laowa 7.5/2 - PL 15/1.7 - P 42.5/1.8 - OM 75/1.8 - PL 10-25/1.7 - P 12-32 - P 14-140

Frodge
Goldmember
3,087 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Jan 21, 2014 07:33 |  #35

Can Canon ef and efs lenses be adapted to work on a Sony a7? Do you lose af?

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,584 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 21, 2014 07:41 |  #36

Frodge wrote in post #16623459 (external link)
Can Canon ef and efs lenses be adapted to work on a Sony a7? Do you lose af?

both will work, but EF-s lenses wont be able to produce the image circle, so cross that out. With the metabones adapter, you get to keep AF, but it's slow. Necessary for aperture control though. The focus peaking ability is the selling point for manual and even AF lenses.

Sony A7siii/A7iii/ZV-1 - FE 24/1.4 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 - 28-200 RXD
Panasonic G9 - Laowa 7.5/2 - PL 15/1.7 - P 42.5/1.8 - OM 75/1.8 - PL 10-25/1.7 - P 12-32 - P 14-140

Gregg.Siam
Goldmember
2,383 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 21, 2014 08:00 |  #37

Frodge wrote in post #16623376 (external link)
It was late when I posted last night, so I was short and succinct. I'm sure he loves the canon. But I'm also sure there is something knit for him making the switch. Let's be realistic.

I think he put the realistic part right up front. He loves the scroll wheel for shooting sports and selecting pics rapidly, the ergonomics, and the skin tones. Why does everything have to be some hidden conspiracy?

I'm sure Canon threw in some stuff, but the guy already makes a killing and has some very expensive lenses. Basically there's not much they can offer that he doesn't already have.

You guys want to discuss Fuji and Sony, get your own thread. :p

5D MKIII | 24-105mm f/4 L| 50mm f/1.8 | 600EX-RT [FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=bl​ue][FONT="]|
∞ 500px (external link)
flickr (external link)

michgirl
Goldmember
1,311 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 21, 2014 08:20 |  #38

As a pure beginner, I did questioned my decision of Canon over Nikon. When I got my first DSLR, I was coming from the Canon G7 and owned the 270 ex. That is what swayed me toward Canon, the fact that I already had a flash that I could use. :oops:

At that time, my niece, who does paid work, had all Canon gear. Shortly after that, she switched over to Nikon, stating they had 'better blues & greens'. Since then, I had a few co-workers that got into DSLR work and they all chose Nikon. :rolleyes:

And I did wonder why many pros (such as Scott and his gang) chose Nikon instead of Canon, wondering 'is it that much better'? So I am happy that Scott switched to Canon and for the reasons that he did.

Meanwhile, I will just keep learning and, for the record, I still use my 270 ex :lol:

Robin
Canon 6d / EF Lens: 24mm-105mm / 40mm f/2.8 / 28mm f/1.8 / 50mm f/1.8 / 85mm 1.8 / EF 70-300mm II USM
Canon T6i / EFs Lens: 24mm Pancake / 18-55mm STM / 18-135mm STM / 55-250mm STM

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
11,841 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 21, 2014 09:11 |  #39

Frodge wrote in post #16623376 (external link)

LMAO

im sure he gets some special pricing with those telephoto purchases:lol:

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 21, 2014 09:58 |  #40

Gregg.Siam wrote in post #16623347 (external link)
You left off the part where they went overboard saying he doesn't need to switch. They simply wanted him to mention Canon products, which would be more than enough for a prominent photographer like him. Also, he has many other sponsors than just Canon.

What is he supposed to say? The whole point in making that video is to NOT come off like a corporate shill. But instead he comes off like someone trying really hard not to come off like a corporate shill.

What if Canon says "Look, we give you $50k/year to just mention our stuff along side Nikon. So you say 'Hey, this is a portrait, so I use a D800, but a 5D3 is also a good choice.' But we also want you to try out all our gear. If you will switch and always use our gear in all your programs and videos, we will give you $150k/year and make you part of our Explorers of Light program" What do you think he would say?

To those that said they paid him, he doesn't need the money, nor would they pay such an absorbent amount to simply switch. Free gear is really nothing. Have you seen the lenses he already owns for football photography?

That's ridiculous. Have you seen the lenses I already own for football? I own a Canon 300mm 2.8L IS, a Canon 400mm 2.8L IS and a Nikon 400mm 2.8VR. Plus all the shorter lenses needed. If someone offered me a suitcase full of money to switch to Sony [even though Sony has no soul], I'd make it work. Especially if my job was like his - paid to teach more than paid to shoot.

Bottom line, you can take great shots with any of the companies' gear and you can find unique positives about any of them. I'd shoot with whoever paid me more as well. And if I was a little hurt over getting bypassed on Nikon's Ambassador program and Canon was offering me a place on their Explorer of Light Program, that would make me a more interested (and feed my ego.)

Is the 1dx really that much better than the D4? I completely agree with the "wheel" on the back and being able to scroll through images quickly. That really stood out to me before I watched this video (I just switched to a canon 3 weeks ago). And I have read online that people agree that Canons tend to produce a more pleasing skin tone. And you know what they say; "You cant put anything on the internet that is not true".

I've owned both. I agree, I prefer the Canon wheel for scrolling through pics as well as the easy jump 10 on the front wheel. But it was low on my list of things (you can scroll with Nikon using the shutter speed dial, but it is a but clunkier.) More important to me was the Canon RATE button. I loved that.

The skintone thing is meh to me. I love what I am getting out of the D800. Nikon has had a tendency of being a little hot on the red channel in the past, but I am not seeing it in my images. If yall want, I can post SOOC of my D800 shots. I think that skin tone thing is a non-issue, personally. If skin tones were your #1, give Leaf a call.

I think he put the realistic part right up front. He loves the scroll wheel for shooting sports and selecting pics rapidly, the ergonomics, and the skin tones. Why does everything have to be some hidden conspiracy?

It isn't a hidden conspiracy. He said right up front that Canon offered him a lot of money in the form of a Sponsorship. I shoot pro sports and probably have a lot more than Kelby. I know I have been published for my sports work a lot more than him (if you don't count what he publishes himself.) That scroll wheel thing is not that big of a deal. It is better on Canon, but I think the initial playback is better on Nikon, which is when I usually make my selections. The D4 will playback my last series automatically and I can lock pics as it does that without interrupting the flow of pics on the back. Super useful and worked better than Canon.

I'm sure Canon threw in some stuff, but the guy already makes a killing and has some very expensive lenses. Basically there's not much they can offer that he doesn't already have.

There is always more money. Always.

As a pure beginner, I did questioned my decision of Canon over Nikon. When I got my first DSLR, I was coming from the Canon G7 and owned the 270 ex. That is what swayed me toward Canon, the fact that I already had a flash that I could use.

At that time, my niece, who does paid work, had all Canon gear. Shortly after that, she switched over to Nikon, stating they had 'better blues & greens'. Since then, I had a few co-workers that got into DSLR work and they all chose Nikon.

And I did wonder why many pros (such as Scott and his gang) chose Nikon instead of Canon, wondering 'is it that much better'? So I am happy that Scott switched to Canon and for the reasons that he did.

Meanwhile, I will just keep learning and, for the record, I still use my 270 ex

The best camera is the one in your hands. You can create great pics with either Canon or Nikon.

I agree with Kelby when he stated that if he could just take the Canon shutter button out and replace it with Nikon's, that'd make Canon a perfect camera. Don't know why Canon just can't seem to make the experience of pressing the shutter button as pleasing as Nikon's. I couldn't help laughing when I came across that remark by Kelby in the video.

The AF-ON button is a better feel on Nikon as well. I also like that I don't have to get into menus to do a lot of little things.

I would say that the nikon shutter button is great and the wheel in front of the shutter is awesome too. Just natural when your finger is not on the shutter. I do like my brothers nikon but their menu system is not as easy to change.

I like having all adjustment buttons on the top to make it quick for adjustment changes.

Bingo. I love both those wheels. They seem to make more sense to me and I was a Canon shooter for a decade+.

He was absolutely gushing about the auto focus and the speed and then the iso and then the High HIGH iso and the skin color and you know what?
He's right.

When do you really use above 3200ISO, though? I don't think I have EVER used ISOs higher than that. Maybe prep HS shooters, but you also have to remember that the D4 tests out better on the high ISOs than the 1DX.

Nikon has gotten a lot of free press from the gang over at Kelby Training and NAPP with practically everyone there being Nikon shooters. I am sure that they have influenced a lot of people through the years, especially newbies, to choose Nikon equipment.

I seriously doubt it was all free. Kelby is too smart a businessman for that. :p

Houston Wedding Photographer (external link)
Houston Sports Photographer (external link)
Current Gear List

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,865 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 21, 2014 10:05 |  #41

Paranoid lot aren't we? We have to have a conspiracy of some type. He could not have really just decided he like 1DX and 5D3 better. Any camera company would welcome with open arms and sponsorship.

Aswald
Goldmember
1,162 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Jan 21, 2014 10:10 |  #42

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #16622963 (external link)
You can post about what you've read all day, I'm telling you first hand, there's something special about Fuji cameras. And I can also tell you first hand that nothing about the X-Trans sensor is overrated ;)

Also, the Sony's AF is worse than Fuji based on literally everything I've read about it.

+1 :)

Does it make sense to buy the X-T1 when one already have the X-Pro1? :)

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 21, 2014 10:13 |  #43

What's paranoid? He SAID Canon sponsored him. How often do you see people get sponsored by a company, then not use their products? Can you show me a pic of Tiger Woods in a red Under Armor shirt?

I have no doubt that there are things he likes about the 1DX and things he liked about the D4. I've owned both and they are pretty even cameras. They are both pretty great cameras. Snapsort will tell you the same thing.

http://snapsort.com …re/Canon-1D-X-vs-Nikon-D4 (external link)

Houston Wedding Photographer (external link)
Houston Sports Photographer (external link)
Current Gear List

MattPharmD
255 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jan 21, 2014 10:30 |  #44

Just a comment. If it was really just about the money, I am sure Nikon would have matched Canon's deal to keep Kelby on the dark side if they could have.

Lets also be honest. If Kelby was buying his own his equipment and sponsorship wasn't part of it at all, he would probably own a 1Dx and a D800.

Photography is just a hobby for me.
Twitter: @PharmNerdMatt (external link)
Youtube:The PharmNerd (external link)

koala ­ yummies
736 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Jan 21, 2014 10:49 as a reply to  @ MattPharmD's post |  #45

Ergonomics is huge to some. I don't get the inexplicable discombobulation about him being sponsored. I believe he prefers the ergonomics of Canon over Nikon. Have you ever seen someone so excited about a dial before?

I've used both brands and I prefer the feel, button layout, rear dial, menu system and overall ergonomics of Canon, while the first SLR I ever photographed with was a Nikon.

flickr (external link)

sponsored links

44,035 views & 0 likes for this thread
Scott Kelby Explains Why He Switched to Canon
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.