Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 02 Jan 2014 (Thursday) 03:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

samyang 35mm f1.4 infinity issue

simpy
233 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 02, 2014 03:20 |  #1

Hi,

I have just bought my lens second hand. Tested manual focusing at various distances at 1.4, all are ok, except for when I set it to infinity, and want to focus something really far away, non of the distance objects are in focus.

Is this what everyone else is getting as well?

I just want to know if I have a bad copy or not.

On my other lenses,I can turn it max on infinity and it always keep the distant objects in focus.

Cheers

Canon 5dm2

sponsored links
kent ­ andersen
Goldmember
1,071 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 02, 2014 09:54 |  #2

I have the same problem.... and it came afther I droped the lens on the floor. Around 20-30 cm.

The glass on the lens is excelent, but the build quality is less excelent. You need to handle the lens with extreme caution. It can probably be adjusted, but Samyang is not famous for suport. If you still have guaranti on it, take contact with their support. If you are lucky they send you a new one.

I had the same Problem with a 135L, and after adjustment it was all ok.

Living in Austria, I am so glad that there is stuff like Gimp out there...
I am a happy giver, so if you find any misspelling in my text, you can keep them... :)
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/41388512@N05/ (external link)

ean10775
118 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 05, 2014 19:03 |  #3

The infinity focus marking on my copy if the lens could not be relied on. I'm used to this from using many adapted legacy lenses on my 5DII. I don't know whether this is the norm for this lens, but my copy was purchased brand new and had never been dropped.

My Flickr (external link)

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,255 posts
Gallery: 1674 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Jan 05, 2014 19:47 |  #4

simpy wrote in post #16570988 (external link)
Hi,

I have just bought my lens second hand. Tested manual focusing at various distances at 1.4, all are ok, except for when I set it to infinity, and want to focus something really far away, non of the distance objects are in focus.

On my other lenses,I can turn it max on infinity and it should always keep the distance objects in focus.

Cheers

Heya,

Lots of lenses at their "infinity" setting are not at infinity, they're beyond infinity. Look for the line that comes near infinity, and that's your infinity mark. Otherwise, look through the view finder, manual focus it to infinity or hyperfocal it, and mark it. That's infinity.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Daniel0663
109 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Jan 05, 2014 20:17 |  #5

I had the same problem with my Samyang 35mm (New). So i ended up taping the focus distance markings and made my own distance scales with a sharpie marker. It only took 10-20mins of my time but it was well worth it.

5D|Primes

simpy
THREAD ­ STARTER
233 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 05, 2014 22:10 |  #6

my issue isn't really the focus distance scales, I manually focus, but my focus doesn't actually 'reach' infinity, so it restricts me from focusing distant objects, such as a full shot of a car. so pretty much doesn't focus further than 3metres

Canon 5dm2

uOpt
Goldmember
2,283 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 05, 2014 22:14 |  #7

simpy wrote in post #16581154 (external link)
my issue isn't really the focus distance scales, I manually focus, but my focus doesn't actually 'reach' infinity, so it restricts me from focusing distant objects, such as a full shot of a car. so pretty much doesn't focus further than 3metres

That sounds broken, as in too much distance between camera and lens.

My imagine composition sucks. I need a heavier lens.

ZoneV
Goldmember
1,644 posts
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 06, 2014 03:44 |  #8

Big tolerances in register distance or internal focus setting are quite normal for Samyang lenses. But it is rare that infinity setting is no longer possible.
Probably you could adjust the internal focussing under the focus ring. Most likely it is hard to shorten register distance (without lathe).

DIY-Homepage (external link) - Image Gallery (external link) - Gear List

paparios
500 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 06, 2014 06:54 |  #9

simpy wrote in post #16570988 (external link)
Hi,

On my other lenses,I can turn it max on infinity and it always keep the distant objects in focus.

Cheers

These manual lenses are best used through liveview. Those of us, who used old film cameras, we are accostumed to use manual focussing through the viewfinder, by turning the focus ring up and down a few times until we consider the right place.

Miguel

Canon 5D MKII, Sony A7, Canon EOS M, Canon 7D, Sony A6000, Canon 50d with grip, Canon 400D with grip, Bower 14 f2.8, Bower 35 f1.4, EF 40 f2.8, Tokina 12-24 f4, EFM-22 f2 STM, EFM 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS STM, EFS 18-55 f3.5-5.6, Tamron 28-75 f2.8, EF 85 f1.8, EF 100 f2.8L IS, EF 70-200 f4L IS, EF 75-300 f4-5.6, Sigma 150-500 f5-6.3, Sony E 16-50, Sony FE 28-70

ZoneV
Goldmember
1,644 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 06, 2014 07:19 |  #10

paparios wrote in post #16581723 (external link)
These manual lenses are best used through liveview. ..

But this doe not help much when infinity is not possible due to mechanical restriction somehwere.

I love to have accurate distance scales - helps sometimes in very very dark enviroments or when I can not use the viewfinder (have no liveview with tiltable display).

simpy
THREAD ­ STARTER
233 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 08, 2014 00:37 |  #11

ZoneV wrote in post #16581763 (external link)
But this doe not help much when infinity is not possible due to mechanical restriction somehwere.

I love to have accurate distance scales - helps sometimes in very very dark enviroments or when I can not use the viewfinder (have no liveview with tiltable display).

Correct here,

I have tried to claim warranty but they refuse to fix it. The company I'm dealing with is horrible,

Does anyone know if there's any possible DIY fix?

If not, looks like it will have to be a close up lens unfortunately ...

Canon 5dm2

ZoneV
Goldmember
1,644 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 08, 2014 01:08 |  #12

simpy wrote in post #16587306 (external link)
Does anyone know if there's any possible DIY fix?

I suppose it should be the same like with their 14mm lens
http://www.flickr.com …iscuss/72157632​529862778/ (external link)
http://forum.mflenses.​com …amyang-35-1-4-t47857.html (external link)

simpy
THREAD ­ STARTER
233 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 21, 2014 04:31 |  #13

this is more of adjusting the scale,

my lens does not reach infinity at all..

Canon 5dm2

Jerobean
785 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 21, 2014 10:13 as a reply to  @ simpy's post |  #14

Classic Sigma focus issues.

rparchen
Goldmember
1,600 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 21, 2014 10:40 |  #15

Jerobean wrote in post #16623861 (external link)
Classic Sigma focus issues.

You may want to re-read the thread

simpy wrote in post #16623216 (external link)
this is more of adjusting the scale,

my lens does not reach infinity at all..

That's a bit strange. My old 14mm would focus past infinity, hence the fix in the video which I did, but my previous Samyang 35mm would pretty much stop right at infinity. Is it possible that something is inside which is preventing it from focusing? I don't think it would take much but I'm not sure how to disassemble the lens to check.

Rick - Sony A7R (RIP 6D), Samyang 14, Zeiss 21/35/50, Canon 70-200L
Facebook page for updates (external link)
www.parchenphotography​.com (external link)
IG: @ParchenPhotography

sponsored links

4,330 views & 0 likes for this thread
samyang 35mm f1.4 infinity issue
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.